Notez on Nibbāna

Greetings,

I will explain some controversies based on the pali sutta method as to present the theravadin orthodoxy, as i see it, and to the extent that i know it.

In particular i will tie together the texts as to present the expression of what is meant by a direct experience of cessation, as the removal of taints and the 3rd noble truth.

A lot of this has been drawn out in our discussions here earlier but not all of it.

Also i want to ask that we discuss the merit of arranging the texts in this way, whether there are canonical texts which suggest otherwise, rather than whether this contradicts other interpretations of many people.

As to the Removal of Taints

“Whatever exists therein of material form, feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, he sees those states as impermanent, as suffering, as a disease, as a tumour, as a barb, as a calamity, as an affliction, as alien, as disintegrating, as void, as not self. He turns his mind away from those states and directs it towards the deathless element thus: ‘This is the peaceful, this is the sublime, that is, the stilling of all formations, the relinquishing of all attachments, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, Nibbāna.’ If he is steady in that, he attains the destruction of the taints. But if he does not attain the destruction of the taints because of that desire for the Dhamma, that delight in the Dhamma, then with the destruction of the five lower fetters he becomes one due to reappear spontaneously in the Pure Abodes and there attain final Nibbāna without ever returning from that world. This is the path, the way to the abandoning of the five lower fetters. SuttaCentral

The controversy here is in what exactly this directing of mind to the deathless describes.

I will show what the texts say and summarize

“This, bhikkhu, is a designation for the element of Nibbāna: the removal of lust, the removal of hatred, the removal of delusion. The destruction of the taints is spoken of in that way.” SuttaCentral

This is the general designation of the term nibbana (lit. Extinguishment)

“Here, Ānanda, a bhikkhu is percipient thus: ‘This is peaceful, this is sublime, that is, the stilling of all activities, the relinquishing of all acquisitions, the destruction of craving, dispassion, cessation, nibbāna.’* It is in this way, Ānanda, that a bhikkhu could obtain such a state of concentration that he would not be percipient of earth in relation to earth; of water in relation to water; of fire in relation to fire; of air in relation to air; of the base of the infinity of space in relation to the base of the infinity of space; of the base of the infinity of consciousness in relation to the base of the infinity of consciousness; of the base of nothingness in relation to the base of nothingness; of the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception in relation to the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception; of this world in relation to this world; of the other world in relation to the other world, but he would still be percipient.” SuttaCentral

Here it is described as a samadhi-perception not dependent on this world or another.

“On one occasion, friend Ānanda, I was dwelling right here in Sāvatthī in the Blind Men’s Grove. There I attained such a state of concentration that I was not percipient of earth in relation to earth; of water in relation to water; of fire in relation to fire; of air in relation to air; of the base of the infinity of space in relation to the base of the infinity of space; of the base of the infinity of consciousness in relation to the base of the infinity of consciousness; of the base of nothingness in relation to the base of nothingness; of the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception in relation to the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception; of this world in relation to this world; of the other world in relation to the other world, but I was still percipient.”

“But of what was the Venerable Sāriputta percipient on that occasion?”

“One perception arose and another perception ceased in me: ‘The cessation of existence is nibbāna; the cessation of existence is nibbāna.’ Just as, when a fire of twigs is burning, one flame arises and another flame ceases, so one perception arose and another perception ceased in me: ‘The cessation of existence is nibbāna; the cessation of existence is nibbāna.’ On that occasion, friend, I was percipient: ‘The cessation of existence is nibbāna.’” SuttaCentral

Here it is also described as a samadhi-perception apprehended as ‘The cessation of existence is nibbāna; the cessation of existence is nibbāna

The question is then ‘by practicing what special samadhi are the taints removed?’

The sutta are explicit

these three unskilled states disappear utterly in him whose heart is well established in the four foundations of mindfulness, or who practices concentration on the signless Pi.n.dolya.m Sutta: Going Begging

The practice of satipatthana (four foundations of mindfulness) develops the path and the culmination of it’s development is associated with a direct experience of nirodha (lit. cessation) as the Third Noble Truth and a removal of taints (nibbana)

The Blessed One said this: "This is the direct path for the purification of beings, for the overcoming of sorrow & lamentation, for the disappearance of pain & distress, for the attainment of the right method, & for the realization of Nibbana — in other words, the four satipatthana.
Satipatthana Sutta: Frames of Reference

"Vision arose, insight arose, discernment arose, knowledge arose, illumination arose within me with regard to things never heard before: ‘This is the noble truth of the cessation of stress’… ‘This noble truth of the cessation of stress is to be directly experienced’… ‘This noble truth of the cessation of stress has been directly experienced.’
Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta: Setting the Wheel of Dhamma in Motion

Now what is signless samadhi? This has to be explained as sannavedaniyanirodha (cessation of perception & feeling)

“When a monk has emerged from the cessation of perception & feeling, three contacts make contact: contact with emptiness, contact with the signless, & contact with the undirected.”
Kamabhu Sutta: With Kamabhu (2)

Ven. Thanissaro’s notes

Emptiness, the signless, & the undirected are names for a state of concentration that lies on the threshold of Nibbana. They differ only in how they are approached. According to the commentary, they color one’s first apprehension of Nibbana: a meditator who has been focusing on the theme of inconstancy will first apprehend Nibbana as signless; one who has been focusing on the theme of stress will first apprehend it as undirected; one who has been focusing on the theme of not-self will first apprehend it as emptiness.4.

According to the commentary, “seclusion” here stands for Nibbana. On emerging from the cessation of perception & feeling, and having had contact with emptiness/the signless/the undirected, the mind inclines naturally to a direct experience of Nibbana.

I won’t comment on the commentary.

It’s attainment is explained here

[1] [The Ven. Moggallaana has described how, with the aid of the Buddha, he has passed through all the jhaanas[2] right up to the “sphere of neither-perception-nor-non-perception**.”]

"Then, friends, I thought: ‘The signless concentration of the heart, the signless concentration of the heart, they say — now what is that?’

"Then I thought: ‘In this a monk, paying no attention to any distinguishing signs,[3] enters on and dwells in that concentration of the heart which is without signs. This is called “The signless concentration of heart.”’

"Then, friends, paying no attention to any distinguishing signs, I entered on and dwelt in that concentration of the heart which is without signs. But as I dwelt thus,[4] the consciousness-conforming-to-signs arose.[5]

"And then, friends, the Blessed One came to me by his powers[6] and said: ‘Moggallaana, Moggallaana, Brahman,[7] do not slacken off in the signless concentration, make your mind steady, make the mind one-pointed, concentrate your mind in the signless concentration!’

"And after that, friends, paying no attention to any distinguishing signs, I entered on and dwelt in the signless concentration of the heart.

“Now, friends, if anyone were to truly declare: ‘Through the Teacher’s compassion the disciple gained great super-knowledge,’[8] he could rightly declare this of me.”
Animitto Sutta: The Signless

Note that that there are only 9 principial meditative attainment classifications in the suttas
The four classes of rupa (lit. form) jhana
The four classes of formless percipience
Cessation of perception & feeling as the 9th.

At last the proposition that cessation of perception and feeling removes defilement is tied to this common phrase

Furthermore, take a mendicant who, going totally beyond the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, enters and remains in the cessation of perception and feeling. And, having seen with wisdom, their defilements come to an end. To this extent the Buddha said that extinguishment is apparent in the present life in a definitive sense.”
SuttaCentral

One should draw out here that removal of taints occurs for one who transcends the feeling states in attaining cessation of perception & feeling. But it can not be drawn out that attaining formless percipience is necessary to attain sannavedaniyanirodha because the pannavimutti (released by wisdom) arahants don’t have the formless attainments but have nevertheless removed the taints.

It follows that the pannavimutti arahants, also, go totally beyond all feeling states, including the unattained dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, they enter and remain in the cessation of perception & feeling. And, having seen with wisdom, their defilements come to an end.

And so the direct experience of cessation of the aggregates, which is the 3rd noble truth & a removal of taints, is thus tied to sannavedaniyanirodha as signless samadhi.

Now the question is then

In dependence on what is he in such samadhi? As is pondered here

When this was said, Ven. Sandha said to the Blessed One, "But in what way, lord, is the excellent thoroughbred of a man absorbed when he is absorbed dependent neither on earth, liquid, heat, wind, the sphere of the infinitude of space, the sphere of the infinitude of consciousness, the sphere of nothingness, the sphere of neither perception nor non-perception, this world, the next world, nor on whatever is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, or pondered by the intellect — and yet he is absorbed, so that to this excellent thoroughbred of a man, absorbed in this way, the gods, together with Indra, the Brahmas, & Pajapati, pay homage even from afar:

‘Homage to you, O thoroughbred man. Homage to you, O superlative man — you of whom we don’t know even what it is dependent on which you’re absorbed.’"

"There is the case, Sandha, where for an excellent thoroughbred of a man the perception[2] of earth with regard to earth has ceased to exist; the perception of liquid with regard to liquid… the perception of fire with regard to fire… the perception of wind with regard to wind… the perception of the sphere of the infinitude of space with regard to the sphere of the infinitude of space… the perception of the sphere of the infinitude of consciousness with regard to the sphere of the infinitude of consciousness… the perception of the sphere of nothingness with regard to the sphere of nothingness… the perception of the sphere of neither perception nor non-perception with regard to the sphere of neither perception nor non-perception… the perception of this world with regard to this world… the next world with regard to the next world… and whatever is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, or pondered by the intellect: the perception of that has ceased to exist.

"Absorbed in this way, the excellent thoroughbred of a man is absorbed dependent neither on earth, liquid, fire, wind, the sphere of the infinitude of space, the sphere of the infinitude of consciousness, the sphere of nothingness, the sphere of neither perception nor non-perception, this world, the next world, nor on whatever is seen, heard, sensed, cognized, attained, sought after, or pondered by the intellect — and yet he is absorbed. And to this excellent thoroughbred of a man, absorbed in this way, the gods, together with Indra, the Brahmas, & Pajapati, pay homage even from afar:

‘Homage to you, O thoroughbred man. Homage to you, O superlative man — you of whom we don’t know even what it is dependent on which you’re absorbed.’" Sandha Sutta: To Sandha

In summary he is absorbed in dependence on the principial cessation of all that other stuff.

This ties to

There is that ayatana, monks, where there is neither earth, nor water, nor fire, nor wind; neither dimension of the infinitude of space, nor dimension of the infinitude of consciousness, nor dimension of nothingness, nor dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; neither this world, nor the next world, nor sun, nor moon. And there, I say, there is neither coming, nor going, nor staying; neither passing away nor arising: unestablished,[1] unevolving, without support [mental object].[2] This, just this, is the end of dukkha. Nibbāna Sutta: Unbinding (1)

This ayatana is the end of dukkha (lit. suffering).

Ayatana can translate as ‘base’, ‘opportunity’, ‘reality’, ‘dimension’, or ‘possibility’, etc

One should ask what does the term asankhata (lit: unmade or unfabricated) have to do with any of this?

The term asankhata is used to literally answer what makes the escape from dukkha possible

There is, monks, an unborn[1] — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated. If there were not that unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, there would not be the case that escape from the born — become — made — fabricated would be discerned. But precisely because there is an unborn — unbecome — unmade — unfabricated, escape from the born — become — made — fabricated is discerned.[2] Nibbāna Sutta: Unbinding (3)

Monks, these three are fabricated characteristics of what is fabricated. Which three? Arising is discernible, passing away is discernible, alteration (literally, other-ness) while staying is discernible.

"These are three fabricated characteristics of what is fabricated.

"Now these three are unfabricated characteristics of what is unfabricated. Which three? No arising is discernible, no passing away is discernible, no alteration while staying is discernible.

“These are three unfabricated characteristics of what is unfabricated.” Sankhata Sutta: Fabricated

There is a theravadin commentary to the Udana texts, by Dhammapala, called Udanatthakatha

… at the same point therein also the absence of this world and the next world, he therefore says “Neither this world nor the next world”.

This is it’s meaning:

Thererein there is neither of the two, viz. That world of the khandas that has acquired the designation “This world belonging to those seen conditions, this state of affairs” and that world of the khandas that has acquired the designation “The future state, that which is other than, subsequent to, that”.

Nor both sun and moon means that since it is possible to speak of the gloom and of a need for that gloom’s scattering to be maintained by sun and moon (only) when there be something that has taken form - so whence the gloom, or a sun & moon scattering that gloom, wherein simply nothing at all has taken form - therefore there is therein, in that nibbana, neither viz. sun and moon; in this way he indicates the fact of nibbana having it’s own nature solely that of light.

And as the Dhamma-king was explaining to those lacking complete penetration, the ultra-profound, extremely hard to see, abstruse and subtle, Deathless nibbana, that is beyond the sphere of logic, perpetually calm, capable of being experienced only by the wise, extremely choice (yet) not formerly experienced (by them), even in a dream, within this samsara that is without beginning, he, having, thus far, first of all dispelled their lack of knowledge and so on to it’s existence, saying “There is, monks, that base”, then explains that (same nibbana) via elimination of things that are other than that saying “Wherein there is neither earth… nor both sun and moon”, whereby there is elucidated the fact that that which is the unconditioned element, which has as it’s own nature that which is the antithesis of all conditioned things, such as earth and so forth, is nibbana, for which (same) reason he (next) says “There, too, monks, I do not speak neither of coming (and so forth)”.

The commentator makes a reference to

Where water, earth, fire, & wind have no footing: There the stars don’t shine, the sun isn’t visible. There the moon doesn’t appear. There darkness is not found. And when a sage, a brahman through sagacity, has realized [this] for himself, then from form & formless, from bliss & pain, he is freed. Bāhiya Sutta: Bāhiya

Consciousness anidassana [not apparent as the opposite of demonstrable], infinite, luminous all-round—that is what does not fall within the scope of experience characterized by earth, water, fire, air, creatures, gods, the Progenitor, Brahmā, the gods of streaming radiance, the gods replete with glory, the gods of abundant fruit, the Vanquisher, and the all
SuttaCentral

“But when one doesn’t intend, arrange, or obsess [about anything], there is no support for the stationing of consciousness. There being no support, there is no landing of consciousness. When that consciousness doesn’t land & grow, there is no production of renewed becoming in the future. When there is no production of renewed becoming in the future, there is no future birth, aging & death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, distress, or despair. Such is the cessation of this entire mass of suffering & stress.”
Cetana Sutta: Intention

Just as if there were a roofed house or a roofed hall having windows on the north, the south, or the east. When the sun rises, and a ray has entered by way of the window, where does it land?"

“On the western wall, lord.”

“And if there is no western wall, where does it land?”

“On the ground, lord.”

“And if there is no ground, where does it land?”

“On the water, lord.”

“And if there is no water, where does it land?”

“It does not land, lord.”

“In the same way, where there is no passion for the nutriment of physical food… contact… intellectual intention… consciousness, where there is no delight, no craving, then consciousness does not land there or increase. Where consciousness does not land or increase, there is no alighting of name-&-form. Where there is no alighting of name-&-form, there is no growth of fabrications. Where there is no growth of fabrications, there is no production of renewed becoming in the future. Where there is no production of renewed becoming in the future, there is no future birth, aging, & death. That, I tell you, has no sorrow, affliction, or despair.”
Atthi Raga Sutta: Where There is Passion

In summary, the pali texts, in using the designation ‘signless element’ refer to what is otherwise explained as the unmade or deathless element. And there is a samadhi, made possible by this element, and for one who attains it - mental formations have ceased and it is therefore apprehened as cessation of perception & feeling.

One attains this by eventually coming to understand & regard the khandas as dukkha and they turn their minds towards the deathless element.

Another way of explaining this, in that, whatever one gives frequent attention becomes the inclination of the mind, dhammas come into play through attention.

The sign of first jhana, comes into play when one has contemplated the drawbacks of sensuality and the benefits of renunciation much, the mind having been made decided & eager to pursue renunciation, will leap at the opportunity when there is an opening.

When one is in such samadhi, there are signs of form, signs of pleasure & equanimity, there is no sign of sensuality for this samadhi is attained in dependence on the cessation of the sign of unwholesome states. This would be expained as an extinguishment in a qualified sense.

This is the sutta method, the words nirodha and nibbana are used like this.

Now Buddha explains that a person can attain samadhi which is entirely signless, but otherwise luminous & extremely pleasant, and that all defilement would be removed (designation of extinguishment in a definitive sense) by practicing such samadhi.

Because one who is in such a samadhi has the perception ‘cessation of existence is extinguishment’, he thus abides in dependence on the principial extinguishment of all that, as an escape from the constructed feeling states, made possible because there is an unconstructed.

As i understand it, one can be in signless samadhi just for a fraction of a second, or otherwise for up to seven days, and one would not be able to perceive or feel any difference because there is no sign by which one would deliniate any difference, change, or duration, for the unconstructed is an unevolving emptiness which is real in it’s own rite.

3 Likes

I think this is important to stay on topic. The Bhikkhu Bodhi on Nibbana thread devolved into several people cross referencing the merit of several interpretations against the sutta & eachother at the same time.

Let’s try to avoid repeating that devolving, and rather scrutinize, this particular proposition, against the texts held to be true. We can scrutinize the merit of the variant interpretations in this same way, separately.

This is from AN 9.36

“Mendicants, I say that the first absorption is a basis for ending the defilements. The second absorption is also a basis for ending the defilements. The third absorption is also a basis for ending the defilements. The fourth absorption is also a basis for ending the defilements. The dimension of infinite space is also a basis for ending the defilements. The dimension of infinite consciousness is also a basis for ending the defilements. The dimension of nothingness is also a basis for ending the defilements. The dimension of neither perception nor non-perception is also a basis for ending the defilements. The cessation of perception and feeling is also a basis for ending the defilements.

No Jhana is specifically more important than other Jhanas. Here they can all serve as the basis for enlightenment.

They contemplate the phenomena there—included in feeling, perception, choices, and consciousness—as impermanent, as suffering, as diseased, as a boil, as a dart, as misery, as an affliction, as alien, as falling apart, as empty, as not-self.
They turn their mind away from those things, So tehi dhammehi cittaṁ paṭivāpeti. and apply it to freedom from death: This is peaceful; this is sublime—that is, the stilling of all activities, the letting go of all attachments, the ending of craving, fading away, cessation, extinguishment.’ Abiding in that they attain the ending of defilements.
If they don’t attain the ending of defilements, with the ending of the five lower fetters they’re reborn spontaneously, because of their passion and love for that meditation. They are extinguished there, and are not liable to return from that world.

Here “There” implies elements of the Jhana(1st,2nd …, Nothingness). It also includes the two non precipent and cessation of perception jhanas as well.

It is implied that these attainments are causal(comes from causes and conditions) - that’s why they can be trained. Conditioned things are not self and suffering.

From DN 9

Sir, a few days ago several ascetics and brahmins who follow various other religions were sitting together at the debating hall, and a discussion about the cessation of perception came up among them: ‘How does the cessation of perception happen?’

This is how I understand what the Buddha said:
‘From the time a mendicant here takes charge of their own perception, they proceed from one stage to the next, progressively reaching the peak of perception.
Standing on the peak of perception they think,
“Intentionality is bad for me, it’s better to be free of it. For if I were to intend and choose, these perceptions would cease in me, and other coarser perceptions would arise. Why don’t I neither make a choice nor form an intention?”
Those perceptions cease in them, and other coarser perceptions don’t arise.They touch cessation.And that is how the progressive cessation of perception is attained with awareness.’
“That’s right, Poṭṭhapāda.”

This sutta describes how non buddhist ascetics discuss the cessation of perception. That is cessation of perception(9th Jhana) is not a special Buddhist Jhana.

This sutta explains how when you neither make a choice nor form an intention, you arrive at cessation of perception. This attainment does not include seeing suffering or destruction of all taints.

According to that text

9 categories are called a basis for the removal of taints.

7/9 are explained by the formula

In the same way, there is the case where a monk… enters & remains in [perception of]

• First jhana
  • Second jhana
  • Third jhana
  • Fourth jhana
  • Infinite space
  • Infinite consciousness
  • nothingness

He regards whatever phenomena there are as bad.
He turns the mind to the deathless thus; ‘This is peace, this is exquisite—the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbāna.’

Now you say

This is correct. But do they all serve as the basis in the same way?

That very same text would suggest that it is not so because two attainments which are the basis for removal of taints are explicitly excluded from the scope of categories to which that formulation applies.

It is therefore said

“Thus, as far as the perception-attainments go, that is as far as gnosis-penetration goes. As for these two dimensions—the attainment of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception & the attainment of the cessation of feeling & perception—I tell you that they are to be rightly explained by those monks who are meditators, skilled in attaining, skilled in attaining & emerging, who have attained & emerged in dependence on them.”
SuttaCentral

We would want to ask the question, why can’t we say this

“’I tell you, the ending of the mental fermentations depends on the attainment of the cessation of feeling & perception.’ Thus it has been said. In reference to what was it said? There is the case where a monk, with the complete transcending of base of neither perception nor non-perception, with the disappearance of perception of resistance, and not heeding perceptions of diversity, [perceiving,] ‘There is nothing,’ enters & remains in the attainment of cessation of perception & feeling. He regards whatever phenomena there that are connected with feeling, perception, fabrications, & consciousness, as inconstant, stressful, a disease, a cancer, an arrow, painful, an affliction, alien, a disintegration, an emptiness, not-self. He turns his mind away from those phenomena, and having done so, inclines his mind to the property of deathlessness: ‘This is peace, this is exquisite—the resolution of all fabrications; the relinquishment of all acquisitions; the ending of craving; dispassion; cessation; Nibbāna.’

There are obvious problems.

• 1 The attainment of neither perception nor non perception can’t be scrutinized in the same way as perception attainments, it has to be talked about as a feeling state.

• 2 The attainment of the cessation of perception & feeling, even more, doesn’t even have feeling in it, and so from what exactly would one be turning away?

It’s a support for the op proposition.

Your logic is difficult to follow here

The way you arranged the excerpts is strange

Now you say

Yes it does. But not in the excerpts you quoted.

The excerpt you quoted

This is Poṭṭhapāda repeating back what was explained by the Buddha.

That is due to the fact:

• Neither perception nor non perception: You can’t think or percieve anything distinctively during this attainment. You are neither aware of time passing or (not aware). You are not aware of anything. Thus you can’t scrutinize them.

• Cessation of Perception: Similarly those who abide in this attainment are not aware of anything. There is no experience at all. Thus there is no thinking/contemplating or scrutinizing here.

They contemplate the phenomena there—included in feeling, perception, choices, and consciousness—as impermanent, as suffering, as diseased, as a boil, as a dart, as misery, as an affliction, as alien, as falling apart, as empty, as not-self.

In both cases it’s impossible to contemplate.

But the two dimensions that depend on these— the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, and the cessation of perception and feeling—are properly explained by mendicants who are skilled in these attainments and skilled in emerging from them, after they’ve entered them and emerged from them.

Thus practitioner’s who have emerged from these dimensions, have the ability to contemplate.
Is cessation of perception/non percipient state permanent? No. Does it depend on anything ? Yes. Does it subject to change? Yes. Is it fit to consider I/me/mine? No.

1 Like

Does the suttas describe two different jhanas cessation of perception and cessation of perception with awareness? If there is other suttas that support this distinction could you please quote them? Otherwise I am inclined to think they are the same.

I mean neither perception nor non perception is a feeling state born of contact. This is a feeling of equanimity and is the pinnacle of pleasure

Here, by completely surmounting the sphere of neither-perception-nor-non-perception, a monk enters upon and abides in the cessation of perception and feeling. This is the other kind of pleasure which surpasses that pleasure and is more sublime Bahuvedaniya Sutta: The Many Kinds of Feeling

Of course we can’t contemplate whilst this is our direct experience but having emerged we can contemplate how this equanimity comes to be

Sariputta entered & remained in the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception. He emerged mindfully from that attainment. On emerging mindfully from that attainment, he regarded the past qualities that had ceased & changed: 'So this is how these qualities, not having been, come into play. Anupada Sutta: One After Another

And so in scrutinizing the drawbacks, one comes to regards this equanimity as dukkha and turns the mind to cessation of feeling states which is cessation of all aggregates.

The thought occurred to me: ‘What if I, with the complete transcending of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, were to enter & remain in the cessation of perception & feeling?’ But my heart didn’t leap up at the cessation of perception & feeling, didn’t grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace. The thought occurred to me: ‘What is the cause, what is the reason, why my heart doesn’t leap up at the cessation of perception & feeling, doesn’t grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace?’ Then the thought occurred to me: ‘I haven’t seen the drawback of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception; I haven’t pursued that theme. I haven’t understood the reward of the cessation of perception & feeling; I haven’t familiarized myself with it. That’s why my heart doesn’t leap up at the cessation of perception & feeling, doesn’t grow confident, steadfast, or firm, seeing it as peace.’

"Then the thought occurred to me: ‘If, having seen the drawback of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, I were to pursue that theme; and if, having understood the reward of the cessation of perception & feeling, I were to familiarize myself with it, there’s the possibility that my heart would leap up at the cessation of perception & feeling, grow confident, steadfast, & firm, seeing it as peace.’

"So at a later time, having seen the drawback of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, I pursued that theme; having understood the reward of the cessation of perception & feeling, I familiarized myself with it. My heart leaped up at the cessation of perception & feeling, grew confident, steadfast, & firm, seeing it as peace. With the complete transcending of the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception, I entered & remained in the cessation of perception & feeling. And as I saw with discernment, the mental fermentations went to their total end.
Tapussa Sutta: To Tapussa

“There is the case, Ananda, where a monk, having practiced in this way — (thinking) ‘It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me. What is, what has come to be, that I abandon’ — obtains equanimity. He relishes that equanimity, welcomes it, remains fastened to it. As he relishes that equanimity, welcomes it, remains fastened to it, his consciousness is dependent on it, is sustained by it (clings to it). With clinging/sustenance, Ananda, a monk is not totally unbound.”

“Being sustained, where is that monk sustained?”

“The dimension of neither perception nor non-perception.”

“Then, indeed, being sustained, he is sustained by the supreme sustenance.”

“Being sustained, Ananda, he is sustained by the supreme sustenance; for this — the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception — is the supreme sustenance. There is [however] the case where a monk, having practiced in this way — ‘It should not be, it should not occur to me; it will not be, it will not occur to me. What is, what has come to be, that I abandon’ — obtains equanimity. He does not relish that equanimity, does not welcome it, does not remain fastened to it. As he does not relish that equanimity, does not welcome it, does not remain fastened to it, his consciousness is not dependent on it, is not sustained by it (does not cling to it). Without clinging/sustenance, Ananda, a monk is totally unbound.”
Aneñja-sappaya Sutta: Conducive to the Imperturbable

In attaining progressive cessation of perception & feeling one has to recognize that the phrase

Whatever exists therein of material form, feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, he sees those states as impermanent, as suffering, as a disease, as a tumour, as a barb, as a calamity, as an affliction, as alien, as disintegrating, as void, as not self. He turns his mind away from those states

Is more or less applicable to all feeling states up to neither perception nor non-perception. From there one can only turn it to cessation of perception & feeling as the surpassing state and highest bliss

"If someone were to say: ‘This is the highest pleasure that can be experienced,’ I would not concede that. And why not? Because there is another kind of pleasure which surpasses that pleasure and is more sublime. And what is this pleasure? Here, by completely surmounting the sphere of neither-perception-nor-non-perception, a monk enters upon and abides in the cessation of perception and feeling. This is the other kind of pleasure which surpasses that pleasure and is more sublime.[3]

"It may happen, Ananda, that Wanderers of other sects will be saying this: ‘The recluse Gotama speaks of the Cessation of Perception and Feeling and describes it as pleasure. What is this (pleasure) and how is this (a pleasure)?’

“Those who say so, should be told: ‘The Blessed One describes as pleasure not only the feeling of pleasure. But a Tathagata describes as pleasure whenever and whereinsoever it is obtained.’”

This here phrase

Whatever exists therein of material form, feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, he sees those states as impermanent, as suffering, as a disease, as a tumour, as a barb, as a calamity, as an affliction, as alien, as disintegrating, as void, as not self. He turns his mind away from those states

Is entirely inapplicable to the attainment of cessation of perception & feeling because therein exists nothing of material form, feeling, perception, formations, and consciousness, thus he sees no sign of what can be apprehended as impermanent, as suffering, as a disease, as a tumour, as a barb, as a calamity, as an affliction, as alien, as disintegrating.

The sutta method excludes the attainment of neither perception nor non-perception from the category of perception attainments.

And so when they speak of the pinnacle of perception, that is the perception: ‘There is nothing’.

If we speak of the cessation of perception, we can be speaking about two things

1. The attainment of neither perception nor non-perception
  2. The attainment of cessation of perception & feeling.

In other sects, at that time, the attainment of neither perception nor non-perception was a category apart from perceived existence.

"Uddaka Rāmaputta had this view and taught like this, “Existence is an illness, a tumour, a thorn. Those who advocate nonperception are foolish. Those who have realized [know]: this is tranquil, this is sublime, namely attaining the sphere of neither-perception-nor-nonperception.”
The Discourse on Uddaka [Rāmaputta] - MĀ 114

I made a small mistake there, i implied that Buddha was not explaining cessation of perception & feeling therein but i having looked closer i think it follows that he did.

Hope it clears up the confusion.

It can be inferred that the referent is not the attainment of neither perception nor non perception but the attainment of cessation of peception & feeling because the teaching implies the stilling of all cetana-sankhara

Standing on the peak of perception they think,

Tassa saññagge ṭhitassa evaṁ hoti:

‘Intentionality is bad for me, it’s better to be free of it.

‘cetayamānassa me pāpiyo, acetayamānassa me seyyo.

For if I were to intend and create, these perceptions would cease in me, and other coarser perceptions would arise.

Ahañceva kho pana ceteyyaṁ, abhisaṅkhareyyaṁ, imā ca me saññā nirujjheyyuṁ, aññā ca oḷārikā saññā uppajjeyyuṁ;

And so training like this would lead to stilling of all fabrications.

See here it is explained that it’s not the dimension of neither perception nor non-perception that results in being unbound. Nor is it the resultant equanimity that results in unbound. It’s the ending of clinging that leads to being unbound.
Whatever Jhana or cessation of Perception one has, they have to end clinging to reach nibbana. This is done through wisdom.

When ignorance fades away and ceases with nothing left over, choices cease. When choices cease, consciousness ceases. When consciousness ceases, name and form cease. When name and form cease, the six sense fields cease. When the six sense fields cease, contact ceases. When contact ceases, feeling ceases. When feeling ceases, craving ceases. When craving ceases, grasping ceases.When grasping ceases, continued existence ceases. When continued existence ceases, rebirth ceases.When rebirth ceases, old age and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, sadness, and distress cease. That is how this entire mass of suffering ceases.

This is the cessation of suffering or nibbana. If a person who has attained Cessation of Perception has ceased ignorance, sankhara, contact, namarupa, vedana, craving - then that is Nibbana. If however they do not, that is not Nibbana.

Here “ceased” meaning no further arising - remainder less cessation.

Correct. Why do you think i would disagree with this?

Correct.

Yes.

Now here we should split up this statement

1. Whatever jhana one has, they have to end clinging to reach nibbana.

2. Whatever cessation of perception one has, they have to end clinging to reach nibbana.

Consider this dialog

Is clinging the same thing as what is clung to?

No, that which is clung to is one thing and the clinging that there is is another thing.

Is the cessation of that which is clung to the same thing as that which is clung to?

No, the cessation of that which is clung to is not the same thing as that which is clung to. I’ll give an analogy:

Suppose a man relishes a fire for it’s heat. He is relishing the fire, he is not relishing it’s cessation. As a matter of fact it’s cessation is entirely antithetical to his relishing.

When you say

You are essentially asserting that the cessation of the perception is clung to exactly like perception is clung to.

In that you assert that the cessation of a thing, of what clung to, is relished, by one who clings to the thing which ceases.

But such cessation is antithetical to his relishing and so this is a fallacy.

Cessation of form is attained by a person attain the dimension of Infinite space. Does he no longer cling to form? Yes. Can he cling to the attainment of the dimension of infinite space? Yes. Does he cling to other things except form or the attainment? Yes. Can he become/ is he liable to become attached to form again in the future? Yes.

Right

At that time he is disinterested in form and does not conceive & perceive it. If you want to say that there is no clinging in that sense i would agree.

Right

Right

Again, if we take clinging to mean interestedness and conception & perception, then i would agree.

We can’t use the term clinging too loosely because arahants can also enter & emerge from these attainments not liable to any clinging whatsoever, neither before nor during, nor after the attainment.

From AN5.166

There Venerable Sāriputta addressed the mendicants:

“Reverends, take a mendicant who is accomplished in ethics, immersion, and wisdom. They might enter into and emerge from the cessation of perception and feeling.
That is possible.
If they don’t reach enlightenment in this very life, then, surpassing the company of gods that consume solid food, they’re reborn in a certain host of mind-made gods. There they might enter into and emerge from the cessation of perception and feeling. That is possible.”

Woah, I am surprised to find something that clearly elaborates that cessation of perception is not Nibbana, that they do get reborn among mind-made gods.

1 Like

It doesn’t contradict what i am explaining.

That sutta describes one accomplished in samadhi & sila, this is an Anagami, the perfection in samadhi reveals it, and the text is expicit in that they have the attainment of cessation of perception & feeling.

Such a person is a bodily witness, or one attained to view, or one released by conviction, and they all have the cessation of perception & feeling attainment.

Are all those bodily witnesses, those released by conviction and those attained to view, anagami?
No, but they all have had some of their taints removed by the seeing with wisdom, the stream enterer and once-returner also have had some of their taints removed and can be bodily-witness, attained to view or once-returners.

“In this matter, Sāriputta, it’s not easy to categorically declare that one of these three people is finest. In some cases, a person who is freed by faith is practicing for perfection, while the direct witness and the one attained to view are once-returners or non-returners.

In this matter, it’s not easy to categorically declare that one of these three people is finest. In some cases, a direct witness is practicing for perfection, while the one freed by faith and the one attained to view are once-returners or non-returners.

In this matter, it’s not easy to categorically declare that one of these three people is finest. In some cases, one attained to view is practicing for perfection, while the one freed by faith and the direct witness are once-returners or non-returners
SuttaCentral

Does one have to be a bodily witness to have taints removed?
No, those attained to view and those released by faith also have had some of their taints removed.

And what is the individual who is a bodily witness? There is the case where a certain individual remains touching with his body those peaceful liberations that transcend form, that are formless, and — having seen with discernment — some of his fermentations are ended. This is called an individual who is a bodily witness.[6] Regarding this monk, I say that he has a task to do with heedfulness. Why is that? [I think:] ‘Perhaps this venerable one, when making use of suitable resting places, associating with admirable friends, balancing his [mental] faculties, will reach & remain in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself in the here & now.’ Envisioning this fruit of heedfulness for this monk, I say that he has a task to do with heedfulness.

"And what is the individual attained to view? There is the case where a certain individual does not remain touching with his body those peaceful liberations that transcend form, that are formless, but — having seen with discernment — some of his fermentations are ended, and he has reviewed & examined with discernment the qualities (or: teachings) proclaimed by the Tathagata. This is called an individual who is attained to view.[7] Regarding this monk, I say that he has a task to do with heedfulness. Why is that? [I think:] ‘Perhaps this venerable one, when making use of suitable resting places, associating with admirable friends, balancing his [mental] faculties, will reach & remain in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself in the here & now.’ Envisioning this fruit of heedfulness for this monk, I say that he has a task to do with heedfulness.

"And what is the individual released through conviction? There is the case where a certain individual does not remain touching with his body those peaceful liberations that transcend form, that are formless, but — having seen with discernment — some of his fermentations are ended, and his conviction in the Tathagata is settled, rooted, and established. This is called an individual who is released through conviction.[8] Regarding this monk, I say that he has a task to do with heedfulness. Why is that? [I think:] ‘Perhaps this venerable one, when making use of suitable resting places, associating with admirable friends, balancing his [mental] faculties, will reach & remain in the supreme goal of the holy life for which clansmen rightly go forth from home into homelessness, knowing & realizing it for himself in the here & now.’ Envisioning this fruit of heedfulness for this monk, I say that he has a task to do with heedfulness.
Kitagiri Sutta: At Kitagiri

And so this supports my proposition in that the seeing wisdom which removes taints is tied to cessation of perception & feeling.

If we go by the agama method then we would say that those who had had some of their lower fetters removed have in that attained nibbāna with redidue (partial removal of taints)

There are these two elements of Nibbāna . What it the two? Nibbāna element with residue and Nibbāna element without residue.

What is called Nibbāna element with residue? Here, a monk, [by] destroying five lower fetters, he approached final Nibbāna [in Suddhavasa realm], not returning to this world. This is called Nibbāna element with residue.

What is called Nibbāna element without residue? Here, a monk destroyed taints (asava) and attained the unstained, is liberated in the mind (cetovimutti) and liberated by wisdom (paññāvimutti). He personally realized and penetrated for himself: ‘Birth and death has been destroyed, holy life has been established, there is no more experience of becoming.’ Thus he understands as it really is. This is called Nibbāna element without residue. These are two elements of Nibbāna, which should be sought with [exerting] effort, until [achieving] Nibbāna without residue. Thus, monks, you should train

• ea16.2

The pali text explains the terms differently

And what is the element of extinguishment with something left over? It’s when a mendicant is a perfected one, with defilements ended, who has completed the spiritual journey, done what had to be done, laid down the burden, achieved their own true goal, utterly ended the fetters of rebirth, and is rightly freed through enlightenment. Their five sense faculties still remain. So long as their senses have not gone they continue to experience the agreeable and disagreeable, to feel pleasure and pain. The ending of greed, hate, and delusion in them is called the element of extinguishment with something left over.

And what is the element of extinguishment with nothing left over? It’s when a mendicant is a perfected one, with defilements ended, who has completed the spiritual journey, done what had to be done, laid down the burden, achieved their own true goal, utterly ended the fetters of rebirth, and is rightly freed through enlightenment. For them, everything that’s felt, being no longer relished, will become cool right here. This is called the element of extinguishment with nothing left over. These are the two elements of extinguishment
SuttaCentral

and so one or both of the texts are corrupted, it’s discussed here Two Elements of Nibbāna in EA 16.2

Either way, it fits in with what i am explaining.

I have not yet read your first post. I am gonna do that.

I do not know if you have thought about this, or treated this above, or have some recognition of it, but i believe (have feeling for this) that the stilling of all formations is never really absent but it refers to the home we all live in.

We all, every being, live in a complete stilness, emptiness, signless, desireless. The path of samadhi is that one sees this directly when all formations really ceases. The path of wisdom is that one can see this while in a normal state of mind, with seeing, hearing etc. One does not need the samadhi that is a cessation of all formations, because there is the wisdom that can see it while not all formations are ceased.

In other words; one can abide in a completely stilled empty openess in this very life with only empty, signless and desireless contacts and still see things, hear things…etc. The stilling of all formations does not have to refer to the complete absence of all formations, i believe, but to detachement. Detached one always abides in a domain which is allready stilled.

Every being abides by nature in an empty, stilled, peaceful, uninclined, desireless, undirected, signless ‘dimension’. It is the natural home of every being. But not all beings realise it. For this a Buddha comes into this world. Even a worlding, if he opens the eyes, he/she sees he allready abides in a total empty uninclined, desireless, stillness.

The same with the cessation of perception and feeling. We all abide constant in a sphere, dimension where perceptions and feeling do not take root, do not establish, do not land. Extremely normal for us.
This is our home. This does not have to be made or created or produced by the Path. We are there already.

But the problem is, mind tends to engage with arising formations, and then things root, establish, land. Never without engagement. Only what lands, only what establishes is felt. There is no vedana at home.

Buddha searches a home, and found it as something that was always there. He re-discovered it, like all Buddha’s do. Home is never made, formed, produced. It is for free too.
Buddha called this the Amazing, Grace.

So, one does not really need sannavedayitanirodha to uproot the taints because wisdom is able to understand that our natural home is not intrinsically defiled, and is by nature dispassionate, stilled, empty, signless, uninclined, unburdened, where nothing can land, establish, take root. If one knows and sees this, one sees that engagement and clinging that is the real cause of suffering because then things esthablish and land.

I want add that in my opinion, the difference between signless samadhi, emptiness samadhi and the undirected samadhi, is in how they are approached.

One who practices signless samadhi enters it by turning his mind away from the signs arising from name & form and towards the signless element.

One who practices emptiness samadhi, enters it by turning his mind away from things which are empty (name & form) and towards the element of emptiness.

One who practices undirected samadhi, enters it by not directing the mind towards any state of existence, not choosing anything, one turns it to the undirected element.

And so these are like three doors to prompt the cessation of perception & feeling, the removal of taints by the seeing with wisdom and eventually khandaparinibbāna.

Verse 92: Arahats do not hoard (anything); when taking food they reflect well over it (i.e., in accordance with the three parinnas). They have as their object liberation from existence, that is, Nibbana which is Void and Signless. Their destination, like the course of birds in the air, cannot be traced.
The Dhammapada: Verses and Stories

Please have compassion for me. If you have some relevant texts you want me to cross reference i can do that.

If you want to discuss your interpretation of the texts, as you tend to do, then i will ask to make another thread eg ‘Green on Nibbāna’ and there we can cross reference your thing against the texts.

I want to specifically avoid us discussing unsubstantiated opinions but rather to see how and to what extent the texts can be tied together.