Offline feature development (status)

Venerable, had you noticed this thread?

I basically have the first four Nikayas ready, but I’m just stuck on trying to figure out the best way to format the two languages. I would love it if you and @dxcore35 could offer suggestions (in that thread, not here) to improve them to help fill the gap for off line use. Obviously they will never even come close to the functionality of the website. Part of my plan is to generate actually printable versions that may be more feasable for Asian monasteries to print and use.

At this point I think the best attitude for users to have is that SuttaCentral.net is a website for online use only that might, maybe, sometimes work off line. That’s not a criticism, just satisficing. I don’t hold any hope that PWA will ever replace online use. The stability of the cache is just not there. It is, after all, cache, and not saved files. At any moment the software can decide to dump the cache and there’s nothing to be done.

Recently Bhante and another monk were very helpful in teaching me how to use bilara io to export the data, so hopefully the other projects can also work to provide a more specific offline solution. Especially around advanced search features, which it seems that they are trying to do.

4 Likes