On creating a map of Early Buddhism

I have uploaded a quick version of the map in case it can be used.

I will be working on it and updating it with the latest version of the map as I can.

I did it in github so you can pull it eventually.

I hope it helps.

1 Like

I noticed that somebody added the town Veįø·ukaį¹‡įøa with the text: A city in Avanti. It is however not plotted in Avanti itself.
If any entries are added, can you please let me know so I can make sure it is added to SC also? Thanks!

Hi, that was me, sorry! I also adjusted the text in the town entry on the map. In fact I canā€™t see any reason why it should be in Avanti, I think this is a mistake. Itā€™s in Dakkhinagiri.

Oops ā€¦ and the text has now reverted back to the dppn version. Could you please change the text and then I will change it in the backend also. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Sure, Iā€™ll get to it soon.

@Aminah - could you go over the descriptions in the map and clean up the references to suttas where needed?

For instance, if you look at the description for Campā, you see this sentence:

The Buddha himself stayed thereon several occasions.Vin.i.312SN.i.195AN.iv.59AN.iv.168AN.v.151Vin.i.3121

Could you add spaces and semi-colons in such sentences where needed, so it becomes more readable like this:

The Buddha himself stayed thereon several occasions. (Vin.i.312; SN.i.195; AN.iv.59; AN.iv.168; AN.v.151; Vin.i.3121).

Thanks!

Ayya, would that not be easier to do with a regex on the KML data? The dictionary file has markup for exactly this purpose, adding it by hand seems a waste. Even a simple find/replace would do it:

</ref><ref>   ā€”>   </ref>, <ref>

You are right to say that that would have been easier, if I had though of doing that at the start.
The original dictionary file (placenames.kml) had markup that has disappeared when importing it into google maps.

The dictionary file sc_dppn is far bigger (also including persons, etc.) The other files that were extracted from that into kml format (placenames.kml and allplacenames.kml) have not been updated with changed descriptions in the google kml. So it would take me some time to extract a new updated kml file from sc_dppn. I think it is far easier to go over the entries in the map and change them - there are not that many.

Iā€™m happy to do it, although am a bit pressed for time at the minute so might not get to it for a day or so.

As quite a big step on from this point, as I was going through the map in the first place, I did think it would be quite nice if the references were updated from the PTS format. If the primary purpose of this exercise is to make the suttas more accessible to people unfamiliar with them Iā€™d say the new numbers would be preferable - I certainly know I was a bit bamboozled trying to suss out the numbering. If you think it makes any sense, I wouldnā€™t mind doing it as a slow-burning job.

I actually had the same thought. @Sujato - what do you think?

You can a find the PTS numbers in the suttas by clicking on the menu and then going to Controls - Textual Information. The PTS numbers then appear to the right of the text (at least in the Pali version).

Yes, itā€™s a great feature (and also in the Nikaya lists), but itā€™s still a bit difficult to find a sutta if all youā€™ve got to start with is the PTS number (unless Iā€™ve missed something really obvious). Furthermore, you actually have to know there are various different numbering systems in play in the first place (I started out using Access to Insight, and it took me a while to even realise there were PTS numbers, not to mention failing to initially realise that BB/SC have some updated ā€˜new numbersā€™).

1 Like

and thereā€™s occasional discrepancy between ATI AN and SN sutta numbers and those of SC.

Iā€™ve now added brackets, spaces and semi-colons to reference lists. Obviously, thereā€™s a bit of an inconsistency with reference formatting between individual ones and lists, but itā€™ll have to be for a day with absolutely nothing to do before I think about making the format consistent - itā€™s only cosmetic. :laughing:

I only did it by quick scan, so apologies if Iā€™ve missed anything.

While going through these things pop up:

Isipatana / Migadaya
In the 4th paragraph I changed ā€œthe.ā€ ā†’ ā€œthem:ā€

KÅ«į¹­Ägārasālā
I couldnā€™t actually add the spaces to this one as the text limit of the description has been reached.

CETIYA / CETI / CETÄŖ / CEDI

Looking up AN6.46, AN10.24 and AN10.85 it seemed right to replace:

AN.iii.355f; AN.v.41f and AN.v.157ff are among several discourses preached to the Cetis, while the Buddha dwelt in their town of Sahajāti.

with:

AN.iii.355f; AN.v.41f and AN.v.157ff are discources preached to the Cetis by Mahācunda.

KOSALA

The Sutta Nipāta (Snp.405; AN.i.276) speaks of the Buddhaā€™sā€¦

Iā€™m not sure if AN3.125 is meant to be a parallel text and I canā€™t check because the PTS verse numbers are only showing on the Pārāyana Vagga at the moment. If it isnā€™t a parallel Iā€™d change it to ā€œ(Snp.405; and also AN.i.276)ā€.

LICCHAVÄŖ
I noticed that description is cut off as the text limit has been reached.

Also,
Itā€™s possible that I might start weeping if I continue looking at the map with the understanding that Nāla and Nāįø·andā are referring to the same place as Ven. Sujato has suggested and yet have different listings. Iā€™ve left it untouched as I didnā€™t think it was my place to remove a listing.

Also, also,
What does ā€˜fā€™ stand for in, eg. SN.iv.179f?

1 Like

Thanks for this. I donā€™t actually know what ATI stands for, but yes, I did eventually work out there are these discrepancies. The reason why I mentioned the point is because it has been stated that a key motivation for creating this map is to support people new to the suttas. Confusion over the numbering systems (and discrepancies) in use certainly didnā€™t make beginning to explore the suttas any easier for me, and I figured it might be worth raising the issue in this connection.

:slightly_smiling:

:smiley: At no point did I ever try to suggest I wasnā€™t thick as!

ā€œOn one occasion the Blessed One was dwelling among the Sumbhas, where there was a town of the Sumbhas named Sedaka.ā€

I canā€™t seem to locate this on the map.

I see. Another reason why, as I suggested yesterday, using this Google app should be only an interim solution. It took a lot of work to get those references into a marked up form: we shouldnā€™t lose it. If at all possible, we should reintegrate the text changes back into the dictionary files, so that in the future we can build an app with properly formatted and linked references. I think there are only a few places where the text of the entry has been changed, am I right?

Yes: our numbers follow those of Ven Bodhi.

Welcome to despair. It is a familiar emotion.

If you want, just make a list of dubious points as you come across them, and weā€™ll try to look at them at some time.

The ā€œfā€ is a convention meaning ā€œand the following pageā€. ā€œffā€ means ā€œand the following pagesā€.