On Encountering Nibbida

Well, nibbida is a revulsion, and then dispassion happens right before a noble attainment. One had indeed better take care with how they phrase their claims! :no_entry: so I think nibbida’s place in the the progression makes it a very good place to hold a discussion.

In my case, there was 15-year-old kid traumatized by Crohn’s Disease, followed by two decades of hunting through things I would describe harshly - so, charitably, their utter lack of helpfulness in my case.

In the article about nibbida that Piya Tan wrote, there was some discussion about how some people respond with discomfort at the translation ‘revulsion, disgust’, but this has always been something I’ve experienced; and, being well-placed scholastically:

There are some cases in which a person overcome with pain, his mind exhausted, grieves, mourns, laments, beats his breast, and becomes bewildered. Or one overcome with pain, his mind exhausted, comes to search outside, 'Who knows a way or two to stop this pain?’ I tell you, monks, that suffering results either in bewilderment or in search. This is called the result of suffering.

Lots of …complicated maneuvers, over the ensuing years. After a quick jaunt down to Santi (no photos, alas) I ended up as a university custodian (a modern monastery, in a way & if I try at it :wink:).

I’m not a religious person, and maybe some of you will know this about me. But, as I was searching about, something caught my eye, and due to this (along with some Dhammic twists on empiricism, SN 54.9 & MN 144, etc.) I settled in.

Perhaps another term related to nibbida is samvega, urgency. They were already present, but - given the centrality of developing citta - developing epilepsy has strongly invigorated both of them, with both body and now mind experiencing something of an above-average degeneration.

Nibbida, indeed!

:skull:
:stopwatch:

6 Likes