On iPad mini - Unable to "View root text with translation" etc

Hi I am unable to click on [or select] the “View root text with translation” and “Activate Pali word lookup” on my iPad mini [5th gen/OS 16.2]. I have tried all browsers - Safari/FF/Chrome. Works fine on my Windows/Mac laptop and android phone…
What might I be missing…? Thanks!

2 Likes

So you can see the options, but clicking does nothing? Meaning that the radio button doesn’t change and when you go back to the text the changes haven’t been made?

1 Like

Works ok on my fullsize ipad 6th gen (an older model than an mini 5th gen)

1 Like

Thanks - no radio buttons on ipad display (Radio buttons appear on laptop and phone). Image attached.
p.s I have restarted the iPad. The FF and Chrome are new downloads so shld not be a cache issue. I could not find the javascript settings, if that has anything to do with it…but I’ll look again.

3 Likes

That’s super strange! I’m assuming that tapping on “Line by line” does nothing at all?

Are you able to scroll that whole setting area side to side?

@HongDa, have you ever seen something like this before? Looks like the radio buttons are svg images.

2 Likes

I have never encountered this problem before. I will find an emulator to test it.

2 Likes

I can scroll side by side in the “views” section and can also check-select in the “References” section, select in the drop-down for “Change Pali Script.”. The “Side by Side” options etc - I thought they were links, since I saw no radio buttons…but I can do nothing with them.
Thanks in advance!

1 Like

Please let me know if you would like me to write up an issue for this. Seems like we are piling up strange Apple behaviour.

BTW, @sananda, my understanding is that all browsers on iOS devices are just Safari wrapped in a different package. So I’ll be surprised if they behave any differently.

Thanks for reporting this!

2 Likes

Please let me know if you would like me to write up an issue for this. Seems like we are piling up strange Apple behaviour.

Yes, please open an issue. I remember there are two or three other issues related to Apple devices.

This may be related to the previous upgrade of MD components, but I am not sure because some problems only exist on specific Apple devices.

1 Like

iOS is now up to 17.4.1, you might want to upgrade. The iOS dictates which version of Safari you will run. As Ven. Snowbird said, FF and Chrome are just safari ‘skins’ on iOS.

It seems that an iPad mini 5th gen should have no problems running iOS 17

I am using the latest ios and I don’t have the issue you are referencing, even if I adjust my screen resolution.

1 Like

Thanks for running that down!

@sananda Are you able to update your OS? I’m a little reluctant to create an issue that may only be a problem on an old OS.

1 Like

Good news. I took my own advice (iOS upgrade) and checked this bug off the list. You might be down to a single iOS bug :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I am all set with 17.4.1/Safari.

I can see the radio buttons etc and select. Many thanks - all good for now. If I spot anything else, will let you guys know.

4 Likes

Thanks! In this case @HongDa, can we let it go?

2 Likes

Bhante @Snowbird , Sure :smile: