On moderation and right speech

Not sure why you replied specifically to me but to avoid people reading what I wrote as what I did not mean I deleted my reply to Bhante’s remark on feeding seagulls in Perth (where I currently live and he was born).

Nevertheless, please do take the advice! Don’t even consider start feeding seagulls in the land Down Under unless you are sure to have lots of food at your disposal and/or being completely alone (interestingly people tend get immensely annoyed by them)! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Since this topic is also about right speech, I want to say that, just like Vstakan, I accept this type of speaking used on english buddhist forums despite also been an eastern european who has never lived and probably never will live in another country, so even more unfamiliar with it than Vstakan. Not speaking like that will only make others hate you and not pay attention to what you are writing when it comes to dhamma points.

But while I agree with it and perfectly understand it, I also want to point out this “right speech” principle can easily be taken too far and we should be careful at that too. Something I found on the internet:

EDIT: The quote from the article that was seen as offensive removed. I’ll leave just the part that does not contain offensive language. The idea was to not take ourselves too seriously and become too tense after becoming a buddhist, just like it happens in other religions too. It is good to maintain a relaxed and healthy attitude towards things that happen in samsara and not become too sensible and too fragile. This will only lead to becoming tense overall and is not a healthy attitude to have because every little thing will have the power to emotionally destroy us.

If you google sterotypes about buddhist, most people complain about us been too uptight, having a holier-than-you attitude, etc. - in general pretty annoying. Same as people are annoyed by christians who have such attitudes. Or same as people who drive Toyota Prius been considered much more annoying than the average despite the fact that they consider themselves better witch makes this look counter-intuitive. In my opinion, these problems are much bigger in buddhism than in christianity because of meditation and the idea of “been advanced” or “been more advanced than you” type of thinking that is more proeminent in buddhism because of meditation witch can easily transform into a “meditation competition”. While in christianity, there are such attitudes but there is no “prayer competition” so these tendencies do not develop so much. Nobody was born perfect so it’s good to keep an open mind about what defects we might have and try to improve them.

When various authentic teachers talk about “practicing like your hair is on fire”, or as my teacher told me in retreat “practice like you are fighting for your very life”, they mean this in the sense of practicing consistently and genuinely, NOT becoming uptight, humourless and puritanical.

If you are referring to Leon74, he was not banned but chose to no longer participate in this forum.

No one in this topic is throwing insults, as far as I can see, nor is our discussion on moderation and trolls aimed at any one person in particular. It is beneficial to have these conversations from time to time, so that we may all discuss the best ways we can improve our dialogue with one another.

4 Likes

Sorry, I did not know that.

nor is our discussion on moderation and trolls aimed at any one person in particular.

It is a discussion about trolling on this forum. So I supposed it is not aimed at persons from another forum.

It is beneficial to have these conversations from time to time, so that we may all discuss the best ways we can improve our dialogue with one another.

I agree. That is why I shared my opinion too. It’s always good to have varied opinions whether we agree/partially agree/disagree with them or not. I have not issued judgements about how speaking on this forum should go since I am new here and honestly I don’t know what the perfect amount of politeness should be on a non-romanian forum. It is not my element. I’ve never lived in an english country and probably I will never move from this one in my life. I just wanted to draw attention at the problems of the other extreme of right speech and at indirectly insulting people who are not here to defend, despite not calling their name. I’ve not issued an opinion on the forum general speaking, I just rised some points to think about.

I have trust in B.Sujato to know how the general attitude should be since he is Australian and I noticed that, like other australians, he is not exactly the typical englishman in his speech. I am sure he knows better how the general attitude should be in this place. I’m not one of those idealist, trying to change english way of speeking because It is different than my own. I am a pragmatic person and I understand that when there is a majority in a place, the minority has to go along not impose their way. And also, I consider this place very liberal, allowing all ideas and criticism of diferent interpretations of buddhism to be voiced (something unusual for a buddhist forum) so the problem of people speaking too softly does not disturb me at all.

@Gabriel_L
Awww, I bet that first hungy seagul was appreciative though (well, maybe until the other seaguls showed up that is) :wink: Kind of like ravens & crows where I live.

3 Likes

I am not sure if I agree with this, Bhante. I think it is important that sensible and experienced voices speak out on the big issues, even on this forum. It is fine that you want to discuss some of the lesser problems of translation, the airing of which will not engender “endless proliferation”, as you put it. But it is the larger issues that will make or break Buddhism. And some sort of leadership from experienced people with integrity, especially monastics, is crucial.

Even if stating your opinion on such issues may be the source of lengthy debate, you don’t have to engage with everyone. Sometimes just giving an opinion piece, a kind of editorial, will be enough to at least guide the debate and serve as a seed for reflection for many. You deservedly have a degree of respect among many Buddhists and would-be Buddhists, and it is important that you use that position to promote a proper understanding of the EBTs. If you are not going to do it, who is?

16 Likes

Well, thanks for the vote of confidence. I know what you mean, and I really have no clear answer.

Now, I am not someone who likes to overestimate his own importance in the scheme of things. I generally think the world will get along fine without me. Still, I admit that some things can’t be ignored. For example, since I have been happily ensconced on my island paradise enjoying the word of the Buddha, the world has descended into some very dark places. Now, I’m not trying to suggest that the rise of fascism in the US is directly caused by the absence of my wisdom! Merely pointing out the correlation. Who knows? There’s got to be something to it, right? :thinking:

Anyway, as you know me well, you will appreciate the superhuman restraint I’ve shown in not saying anything about all this. My only justification, really, is that if I don’t focus, I’ll never get this work done. Right or wrong, that’s the only way I can see it happening.

In terms of the big Dhamma issues, I’ve discussed a lot of these in my books, talks, and so on, and I don’t know if I have anything much to add. I do express my thoughts from time to time here, but I don’t get into lengthy discussions. If it’s of any solace, I do give some thought from time to time to what I will do when this is finished, and what is the best way to use what little wisdom I have. I’m sure something will happen!

8 Likes

Adding new stuff is fine, but repeating is just as important. Look at the suttas. They are sometimes surprisingly repetitive, yet they also vary slightly, which is actually what makes them interesting. Saying the same thing from different angles is often very useful.

You know, in the end I think repeating the big issues is more important than talking about the small things.

9 Likes

I guess that’s the difference between a researcher and a communicator. Sometimes I feel like I’m temperamentally a researcher, and get pressed into being a communicator. Oh well, there are worse problems in life, I guess.

5 Likes

What a great discussion by our two Bhikkhu venerables, above. I really enjoyed this exchange.

It’s no secret ( at least to me) that despite the Dhamma being in the world for over 2500 years, I and probably some here, can count on the fingers of one hand the monastics that we trust with this Dhamma in these times, and to help us embrace and understand it correctly. Interestingly, three of these monastics, Ajahns Brahm, Sujato, and Brahmali, in my view have done more to advance the Dhamma and Vinaya in a scholarly, compelling, and often warm and generous way than scores of others. Why Australia is the fountainhead for this brilliant re-emergence of the Dhamma and Vinya, I will never know; perhaps it is the kammic counterbalance for giving the world Vegemite? :slight_smile:

Perhaps one day Sutta Central will draw people from all walks of life to see dynamic perspectives from our masterful ajahns. Like the esteemed and highly ethical journalist Bill Moyers in the USA, from time to time certain people emerge from a field that could, if they wished, defer from engaging in world issues. Bill Moyers could have chosen to act as so many of his colleagues have, out of fear of offending, or laziness, or fatigue, and just checked out of the field of compelling journalism and moved on. But he is just one of those people that every time he offers a commentary, it is always important, relevant and well worth listening to. He is that voice in a sea of irrelevance that really makes a difference in how the public sees politics, society, and the world. We need voices like his in unsteady times.

Sutta Central seems to me a meisterwerk that should grow and develop at its own organic pace, and develop in a way and on a timeline that is comfortable and pleasing to Bhante Sujato. Perhaps in those comfortable spaces between Sutta translations, teaching/correcting us, and organizing code, we could see some of the ‘journalism’ Ajahn Brahmali encouraged. Moyers only comments when he has something important to say; he’s not on a schedule. He’s earned the right to comment when he chooses to and when the moment seems right. But, when he does speak, it is always an imperative to listen.

6 Likes

and i was thinking to myself “what an exemplary display of the virtue of equanimity from venerable Sujato” :worried:

but yeah, concentration is very useful, cuts off all the chaff which bombards the 5 senses and the mind

4 Likes

Sadhu! Sadhu! Sadhu! we really appreciate Ajahn Brahmali comments & suggestions.

Bhante, Ajahn, we do need your guidance, people nowadays need to hear more words of wisdom than ever before. It’s not easy to find a respectable & trustworthy guidance these days. Therefore i think input from Bhante & Ajahn is crucial .[quote=“Brahmali, post:15, topic:4474”]
Sometimes just giving an opinion piece, a kind of editorial, will be enough to at least guide the debate and serve as a seed for reflection for many.
[/quote]

:anjal:

4 Likes

I love how, on numerous occasions, @Brahmali and @sujato, demonstrate how to disagree skillfully and kindly. Watching these interactions is a wonderful teaching.

And while @Brenna, @Cara and myself are not so experienced or knowledgable - and we certainly don’t have the advantage of keeping such beautiful sila/restraint - we certainly don’t agree with each other all the time. We do however, respect majority decisions and try actively to work harmoniously and to move towards consensus.

We are doing the best we can and, I’m sure I can speak for Cara and Brenna when I say this, we are truly grateful for the opportunity to volunteer our time for this amazing resource.

The experience of moderating here has thrown up some strange and unexpected problems and difficult decisions had to be made. Much of what goes on is unknown to others and some truly weird stuff has cropped up.

One thing we will always attempt to do is to protect this space, to keep it friendly, gentle and harmonious. Others, in so many threads, have also shown how to disagree with courtesy. This is a truly marvellous thing. One can disagree in a friendly manner.

To be clear though, we moderators are not always going to come across cuddly and warm and fuzzy…some things can’t be sugar coated. Even the monastic rules have this aspect to them (eg: the parajikas!)

And please remember, we’re not robots. We’re doing the best we can. Forgive us if we pull you up on something, have a conversation about it but, move on with grace. And remember, while we try to work within policies and guidelines, we also aim to look at each situation on it’s merits.

And finally, we’re not always going to see everything and be everywhere; nor are we going to be able to respond to everything immediately. We also have other commitments and demands upon our time. But we’ll do our best to get back to you.

Thanks everyone for doing your best too. I am sure everyone is striving to come from the 3 Right Intentions of Renunciation, Loving Kindness and Compassion. Thanks also for raising flags. It helps because, as I already said, we can’t see everything and be everywhere.

Cara and Brenna, I love how we think differently and are so polite when we disagree. I love that I don’t know either of you terribly well and that we’re half a world away from each other. Sometimes, the internet really can be rather useful!

Well, that’s all.

Metta

15 Likes

Thank you, that makes me very happy. I think it is extremely important that we do disagree, and do so publicly. We need to exemplify the idea that disagreement is normal and healthy, hostility is not.

When we gave a talk together in HK recently, I was so happy that Ven Brahmali disagreed with something I said!

16 Likes

if there’s a video, can it be watched anywhere?

It was at the “Mindfulness center”, i don’t know if there was any video.

1 Like

probably there wasn’t, just a few pictures

2 Likes

So far, from what I have seen, you are doing a grand job. Thank you.

7 Likes

Absolutely.

Some people disagree as they have fixed views and don’t want to be overturned. Other agree because they are not used to thinking things through and it is easier to stay quiet!

Metta

M

2 Likes

Dear Bhante Sujato & Ajahn Brahmali,

In today’s world, no doubt, Bhante Sujato & Ajahn Brahmali are two monks who are good examples for other monks to follow. They are virtuous, erudite, Pali scholars, good meditators, very good teachers & in essence true Buddha Puttas! So, Bhante, you have got every right to point out when someone is off the rail & help them to be back on track. (I am not bringing in here the monks of the calibre of Ajahn Brahm or Bhante Gunaratana who are of course in a class of their own.) As Ajahn Brahmali has aptly put, if you wouldn’t help them get back on track, who would?

As we know, there are unwholesome acts by body, speech & mind. In this forum, i.e. on Sutta Central, the unwholesome deeds are visible only when they are verbal/(written) misdeeds.

I would like to take this opportunity to point out some minor, bodily misdeeds that seem to be on the increase at some of the Buddhist locations. Some visitors, (a small minority though), to the Dhamma Hall that I attend on Friday nights & on Saturday afternoons don’t seem to have much respect or regard to Buddhist virtues & traditionally accepted good practices. People wearing short skirts/shorts could be seen sitting right in front of the Buddha Statue (& the monk giving the discourse), stretching their legs in full length towards the monk & twisting & wriggling their toes. Couples were seen holding hands & in some instances in passionate embraces. It seems that most people, (if not all), who resort to this sort of minor transgressions don’t seem to have any idea that they are doing the ‘wrong’ thing. Therefore, it would be up to the teacher, (the monk, in this case) to advise & educate the audience of proper etiquette & accepted behaviour in Buddhist centres.

Another minor issue that I notice is the new practice of clapping at the end of the Dhamma Discourse. Normal Buddhist practice is to give three Sadus at the end of the discourse to show the delight in the monks discourse. At the place where I frequently go, there is a new habit of loud clapping at the end of the Dhamma Talk. In my view clapping is good for worldly, materialistic forums like political rallies, economic forums & the like. For meditation centres/Dhamma halls, it would be better to stay with the passive & time-honoured tradition of three Sadus rather than the aggressive clapping.

No doubt, these are minor transgressions but, almost always these minor acts have the potential to develop into major misdeeds. I hope the monks would properly advise the lay people so that the newcomers could start their practice ‘the right way’, right from the inception.

2 Likes