On the consciousness where nothing appears

Ah, yes. To clarify for others, this happens for example in AN10.29, which also mentions perceiving limited and unlimited (appamāṇa) forms: the same idea as MN128, where the context is developing samādhi. I agree, Bhante, that this is another indication that anidassana is a synonym for formless.

The translation “where nothing appears” seems more adequate than “invisible”, certainly in a Buddhist context. But perhaps, if these lines of verse also refer to Brahmanical ideas, the meaning of the term may be wider than that, mostly poetical and not meant to be that technical and specific.

Although I did not give it much importance in the essay you referred to, I think these connections are actually what these two suttas (DN11 and MN49) are actually all about. Both have a very distinct Brahmanical context, with the Brahmā gods being made fun of, and DN11 is also part of the Sīlakkhandha Vagga of the Dīgha, which is completely aimed at converting outsiders, primarily Brahmins.

These suttas are refuting the Brahmanical belief in a nāmarūpa-less consciousness and reaffirm the Buddha’s idea of the cessation of all existence and hence consciousness, including “infinite” ones. Some small translation issues aside, this much is completely certain to me. This is of course one of the running threads in the suttas: what others took as permanent and as liberation, the Buddha saw as impermanent and suffering. This also goes for this infinite (or “unbounded”) consciousness.

The terminology used is also very Upaniṣadic. You already pointed out some connections. In a recent thread I discussed this in more detail:

2 Likes