Online Pali Courses

Dear Robert,

I suspect the file simply does not exist. Sometimes things can be a bit random at a monastery; we don’t approach these things in a very professional way. Usually one of the monks just decides to record the talks and then it sort of happens if that monk is present. I am sure you get the idea! (Actually, this is one of the charms of monastic life, that we don’t take these worldly things very seriously. It make for a less fault-finding and light-hearted life.)

As for the quality of the talks, please remember that these were done with an in-house audience in mind. Many of the things said are no doubt inappropriate and politically incorrect. Please don’t get too hung up on this. If anyone is offended, I apologise right now.

With metta.

7 Likes

Dear Bhante Brahmali,

Dear Bhante Brahmali & Bhante Khinabija & the IT team,

No worries (about any judgements about anything re the recordings), just much gratitude for you making them available! And thanks Bhante Sujato for suggesting putting them up here.
With metta,
Linda

4 Likes

Dear all,

You can use the file “Intro to Pali - AK Warder II - Ajahn Brahmali”, there you can find “Intro and Lesson 1”. In this file you will not find Lesson 8 (& exercise 7), but that is found in the file “Intro to Pali - AK Warder I - Ajahn Brahmali”.
Also I think it’s good to have the book Ajahn Brahmali uses for his Pali lessons: A.K.Warder “Introduction to Pali”.
You can buy the book here: http://wisdom-books.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=1583
A key to the exercises can be found here: http://www.accesstoinsight.org/lib/authors/brahmali/index.html

With metta,
Rudite

4 Likes

Dear Bhante Brahmali,

no worries, I supected that this was the cause and I agree that it is important to cherish the monastic way of handling worldly things. Overall, one gets more good things done that way in a more relaxed manner. I just thought, I might nevertheless ask. And without the question, maybe @Rudite would not have answered to that point, who seems to have the first lesson in a different directory. Thanks! (also for the helpful links!)

No problem, people will know that this was not for publication. On the contrary, Bhante, I guess, with that sentence, you just made everyone following this site curious and converted them into Pāli-students… :wink:

Thanks so much to all involved for the course material and with much mettā,
Robert

6 Likes

LOL! :smile: :smile: It’s all psychology. :smiling_imp:

7 Likes

The attached 'Pali Study Guide" is compliments of John Kelly, who by the way is one of the developers of Sutta Central! I had the good fortune of meeting him at a recent retreat, so was very happy I could thank him in person for this amazing resource.
Pali Study Guide.pdf (82.1 KB)

4 Likes

Hi Linda,

I tried it on my Mac and it works perfectly fine on Safari browser. But you have to download each file rather than a whole list. Hope this help.

Hanna

Hi Hanna,

Thanks so much. I think part of the problem is also that I have a 10 year-old computer and can no longer update browsers, so often they are unable to handle things.

However I was able to get the files, thanks to Robert Grosch sending them to me another way.

Good luck with your Pali studies!
With metta,
Linda

Brenna, can you say more about how Ven. Yuttadhammo’s course does/ would work, and the level it is aimed at (beginners or presupposing some knowledge of Pali)?

Ven. Yuttadhammo’s course just started a few weeks ago and is intended for those who have no or very little knowledge of Pali. So I would say it is completely a beginners course. I’m not certain how far they currently are in the lessons (I haven’t been able to follow along lately) but the lessons are recorded and put online.

If you’re interested, this group is where all the information is posted concerning the course.

Thank you for this post.

Pertaining to the aforementioned Ven. Yuttadhammo’s Pali class:
The mp3’s are here: http://static.sirimangalo.org/diraudio/Yuttadhammo/Pali/
and the text (according to Facebook page) is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/17gzVydTPfG6Es3YKjkQ2RZEbnZdmk7ZlNDblBgydZKA/edit?pref=2&pli=1

(Just to save people from scrolling down the Facebook page link above.)

5 Likes

Hi @waiyin, thanks so much for this (especially helpful since I’m not on facebook)!

You’re most welcome.

I also found Sean Kerr’s Introduction to Pali one-day course, which could be useful for those wanting to learn how to chant. http://www.audiodharma.org/series/221/talk/3207/

1 Like

I’m glad you mentioned these @waiyin. I had found & downloaded them some time ago but it’s great to be reminded and have the bookmark now, and also for anyone else interested.

I really enjoyed them myself, and plan to relisten to them. As you say, very nice for chanting and also for getting a sense of the very basics of Pali. I liked his energy & the way he taught the weekend course. He was able to cover a lot in a very gently, easy-going manner while at the same time being quite focused. The way he structured it made learning Pali seem easy & enjoyable!

1 Like

I posted information about Richard Gobrich’s on-line Pali class in another discussion, so just thought I’d also add here. I just received a notice about it and apparently there are still spaces left in the course that begins March 21.

Further to Ven. Yuttadhammo’s course, there is also a text which they use for translation: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1dTUJIW9cyecv3bhilEHqrAqvQghcEsnA7k1aQ0Auj4U/

I also found this to be potentially useful for the noun declensions (& getting up to speed with sutta reading in Pali very quickly):
http://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/Textual-Studies/Navapadamanjari/index.htm
Also found a whole list of texts that Ven. Ānandajoti has kindly offered in the same site…

Having ‘live’ lessons made a difference in the same way like ‘group meditation’ does (imho). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello friends,

does someone have files of Ven. Brahmali’s Pali course downloaded on their hard drive? I tried to download them from the Bodinyana OwnCloud, but is just won’t work. If you have the files I would be very obliged if you could share them with me via Google Drive or any other free cloud service. Just PM me so that I could give you my e-mail address.

Thanks in advance!

The University of South Wales offers an online 3 year part-time (actually it’s full on and very intensive) Masters of Buddhist Studies including an entire module on Pali language. The course was developed and originally run by Peter Harvey. It is now run by Dr. Nick Swann.

Their website is: http://www.southwales.ac.uk/courses/ma-buddhist-studies/

The modules include:

Buddhist Traditions
Learn about key Buddhist concepts and practices as well as the misconceptions of Buddhism. Also, gain an insight into the history of the development of Buddhism and its main sub-traditions.

Buddhist Meditation and Psychology
Develop your knowledge of Buddhist meditation traditions in both theory and practice across a number of different cultures. Also, consider Western psychological perspectives on Buddhist meditation.

Buddhist Ethics
Gain an understanding of Buddhist Ethics in both theory and practice across a number of different cultures.

Buddhist Philosophy
Learn about Buddhist philosophical traditions across a number of different cultures.

Pali Language
Develop a solid grounding in Pali language, forming the foundation for further self-study.

Dissertation (for students progressing to the MA)
A significant piece of research into an appropriate area of study.

It is set up as a year by year basis qualification:

Certificate: 1 Year
Diploma: 2 years
Masters: 3 years

4 Likes

Hi Vstakan I did, indeed, send a PM as I previously downloaded both Aj. Brahmali’s Intro to Pali & New Course in Reading Pali classes. I then realised as email wouldn’t be a viable transfer option, I may as well also reply here.

I spotted that the One Cloud thingy has a 500 error so wonder if perhaps it will be fixed at some not too distant point. In the meantime, taking licence from Aj. Brahmali’s comment here:

(interpreting that the files have been made available online, there’s just a technical glitch - please say otherwise and they will be removed) and am currently uploading the files to this Google Drive folder. It should take a couple or so more hours, but after that the opportunity for educative glory will be yours!

3 Likes

Incidentally, this MA course was completed by John Kelly, one of the founders of SC.

2 Likes