Outline of Buddhism on Wikipedia

Back in 2009, I created and developed this article:

Since then, it has been edited, of course, and yet, the vast majority of the whole article is almost as if intact since I stopped working on it. (People usually modify minor things).

This means that it is probably really good and needs no further additions, deletions, or modifications of important bits of the document.

So I wonder if people here would kindly take a look at it and see if it can be substantially improved, because I was fairly new to Buddhism (3 years into it) at the time.

Of course, all I had to do was know the outline of the Dhamma - the organisation of major doctrines, their subsets, etc., concepts and their Pāḷi translations, and then gather from various sources further information, copy links, etc.

I actually had a lot of fun while doing it. I would sometimes spend the whole day on it. And it all started because I saw there was no Outline of Buddhism article on Wikipedia, and so I just started it with:

You can see more history here:

But really, it is about how do we make the article better now?

4 Likes

Thanks for helping, and promoting improvement of Buddhist articles on Wikipedia. As it is in many cases a primary research source, it’s important to improve the quality of articles there. So I hope you get some help!

3 Likes

Thank you, Bhante!

I have indeed contributed to Buddhist-related articles over the years.

The last bit I did was add this sentence to the lead on the Buddhism article:

“Practices of Buddhism include taking refuge in the Buddha, the Dharma and the Sangha, study of scriptures, observance of moral precepts, renunciation of craving and attachment, the practice of meditation (including samatha and vipassanā), the cultivation of wisdom, loving-kindness and compassion”

These two footers are also my work (the first one goes at the bottom of most Buddhist-related articles):

I really do hope people would find the time and desire to contribute to and improve Buddhist articles on Wikipedia.

2 Likes