Overall text hierarchy for SC Next

I know this is very much off-topic but just had to share this tool that “I’m your favourite developer’s favourite developer. :raising_hand_woman:” (i.e. Monica) has made for this:

So now you can simply translate all your sutta texts into emoji!

2 Likes

She’s really doing all the hard work. I mean, even knitting!

1 Like

Or try what she calls the Buddha Board. Also interesting for Ven. @yodha:

1 Like

I just had to try this tool (Chrome extension!!!) on SuttaCentral. This is the result of a Jataka story:

The Dhamma as it was meant to be.

Also, good to see we’re not her only fans.

https://twitter.com/smashingmag/status/942695661497143296

Also, Merry Xmas!

1 Like

I was trying to modify her cat-dns to a suttacentral-dns i.e. whatever page you want to surf to on the internet, you always end up at SuttaCentral. The ideal tool for retreats: you can never get into the temptation to do anything else on the internet than read suttas.

Unfortunately, Cloudflare does not allow direct dns-lookups so this feature just stays with all cats :cat: :cat2:

1 Like

Here I am going to make some notes for the sidebar menu as recently implemented by @blake. I’ll go through piece by piece and note all issues. Here I will include all issues that I can see that still remain in the sidebar, not just the ones directly concerned with the content as such. It’s time we finalized this!

• Sidebar has “MEDIUM”, replace with “MIDDLE”.
  • Dhammapada is still not sorted as verses in the suttaplex; also, it should have vaggas. (see https://suttacentral.stxnext.pl/browse/SUCE-455)
  • Numbering of certain menu levels is still not implemented, see https://suttacentral.stxnext.pl/browse/SUCE-344
  • The sequence of the Jātaka nipātas is out of order. Here is the correct order (see http://www.tipitaka.org/romn/):
    1. Ekakanipāto
    2. Dukanipāto
    3. Tikanipāto
    4. Catukkanipāto
    5. Pañcakanipāto
    6. Chakkanipāto
    7. Sattakanipāto
    8. Aṭṭhakanipāto
    9. Navakanipāto
    10. Dasakanipāto
    11. Ekādasakanipāto
    12. Dvādasakanipāto
    13. Terasakanipāto
    14. Pakiṇṇakanipāto
    15. Vīsatinipāto
    16. Tiṃsanipāto
    17. Cattālīsanipāto
    18. Paṇṇāsanipāto
    19. Saṭṭhinipāto
    20. Sattatinipāto
    21. Asītinipāto
    22. Mahānipāto
  • The Jataka are missing the pannasaka level. However, this applies only to the first nipata, subsequent nipatas lack pannasakas. For the record, the three pannasakas here are strictly 50 texts each: Ja 1-50, Ja 51-100, Ja 101-150.
  • For the niddesas, the info in the hierarchy list is misleading, sorry. I have corrected the main text above, please use that as reference. We already list the texts in the suttaplex as niddesa, so this cannot be a sidebar entry. In addition:
    • Atthakavagga is confusing here. In fact it is not a vagga of the niddesa, but a carry over of the vagga name from the text commented on. It should be deleted from the menu. Thus Mahaniddesa is just a single menu entry, with nothing underneath it.
    • For Culaniddesa, we should introduce the threefold division as used in Mahasangiti. Note that currently the Khaggavisanasutta is omitted from the menu and the suttaplex list entirely; indeed, all of Cnd 21-23 are missing.
  • For Netti, once more the list above is inadequate, for which I apologize. I listed it as having no subdivisions, but in fact both VRI and Mahasangiti divide it into six sections, which we should follow. It’s weird, what can I say? I have corrected the main entry. Currently the sidebar only shows the one entry that has subdivisions, and does not display the items that are a single entry in the suttaplex list. This makes sense in one respect, but it doesn’t really represent the full structure of the text in the sidebar. It’s kind of half-hearted and confusing. So could go either way: have the proper full structure; or if this is too problematic, just have one entry and represent the structure in the node headings of the suttaplex list. The problem with having everything just in the suttaplex list, though, is that the structure there is not clear in cases like this. We know that the Patinidesavara starts at Ne 4, but we can’t tell where it ends. So I would say have the full structure in the sidebar.
  • Petakopadesa is handled in a similar way, only the entry with subsections is included in the sidebar. As with Ne, we should either have the full structure or none. I have put the full structure as in the Mahasangiti above. This case is even more extreme than Ne, as only one entry has a subdivision. Nevertheless, the same logic applies and to be consistent we should have the entries in the sidebar.
  • For Milinda, it’s not representing the 8 sections as found in Mahasangiti, I list these in the revised list above.
  • For Minor Chinese, the menu should more closely follow the hierarchy as given above.
    • Use the same order as I give, this follows the Taisho numbering.
    • Several items are missing, compare main list.
    • The Dhammapadas should be listed as separate entries, not as subsections. They are not divisions of a single Dhammapada, but separate Dhammapada texts. With the numbering here, include the “T”, i.e. T 210 etc.
    • For the Gandhari Dharmapada titles, use the form as given above, this is the standard SC form , i.e. Gāndhārī Dharmapada (1st), Gāndhārī Dharmapada (2nd), Gāndhārī Dharmapada (3rd).
    • In fact, let’s change this a little. “Minor Other” is very non-descriptive, and in fact just contains the Indic Dharmapadas. So let’s rename that “Dharmapadas”. And in that we can list all the Dharmapadas apart from the Pali (or maybe we can make two entries for the Pali and include it here as well as in KN?). So we remove the Dharmapadas from “Minor Chinese” and add them with the Indic Dharmapadas in the renamed “Dharmapadas” section. (See https://suttacentral.stxnext.pl/browse/SUCE-455) Since these have various languages we will have to violate our normal “indicate languages on main list” policy. This also happens a few times below.
  • For main entires “Sanskrit” and “Tibetan” let’s use something more informative, as in corrected list above.
  • Under “Sanskrit”, “Other Fragments” should be renamed “Sanskrit Āgama Sūtras” as indicated above. Also, it should be the first item.
  • Under "Yogacarabhumi, add the two sections as indicated.
    • The sequence here and, eg. in Up is all over the place.
  • Replace “Derge” with “Other” as indicated above.
  • Remove “Upayika” from /d. The UID here, d-up, is bad and should not exist.
  • For the minor Indic fragments, I think it clutters the menu too much to list them all up front. Better to create a new item in the main menu, “Various Other Indic” and put them in it. This means the “Other” category has a nice three items on the main menu. The language icons should be included at the sub-menu.

A note on the structure of the Khuddaka Nikāya

Currently for the Khuddaka we follow the same system as used on the old SC, which ultimately hails from the Sinhalese recensions, I believe.

This system is widely used, eg. by PTS, AtI, metta.lk, Wikipedia, etc. However, it is not the system used by the Mahasangiti or the VRI text on which this is based, and ultimately I suppose the Burmese tradition. That is as follows:

1. Khuddakapāṭhapāḷi
  2. Dhammapadapāḷi
  3. Udānapāḷi
  4. Itivuttakapāḷi
  5. Suttanipātapāḷi
  6. Vimānavatthupāḷi
  7. Petavatthupāḷi
  8. Theragāthāpāḷi
  9. Therīgāthāpāḷi
  10. Therāpadānapāḷi
  11. Therīapadānapāḷi
  12. Buddhavaṃsapāḷi
  13. Cariyāpiṭakapāḷi
  14. Jātakapāḷi
  15. Jātakapāḷi
  16. Mahāniddesapāḷi
  17. Cūḷaniddesapāḷi
  18. Paṭisambhidāmaggapāḷi
  19. Nettipāḷi
  20. Peṭakopadesapāḷi
  21. Milindapañhapāḷi

In fact our system is somewhat of a hybrid, as it includes aspects of the Burmese system, such as adding the final three books, and treating the apadanas and niddesas as separate.

This situation is not entirely adequate, and at some point it would be worth considering whether it’s better to simply adopt the Mahasangiti system. But this is not necessary for the release of Next.

1 Like

Here I’ll make some notes on the menu for the Vinayas, keeping it in a separate post for convenience.

One systematic problem is the sequence of the texts. In all cases, the sequence of texts MUST follow the sequence as given above. This is the correct order as found in the original texts, not something that can be randomly sorted.

Theravada

• The (Bhikkhu parivara) and (Bhikkhuni Parivara) are an oddity that should not be in the menu. Essentially, they represent the Vinaya rules in the Parivara, which are identical to the main Pali Vinaya, and exist solely for the sake of consistency: in other Vinayas, the numbering varied, so I ended up listing each text separately, even though in this case it doesn’t really tell us anything (although the fact of the consistency is itself information). The problem is that the patimokkha rules are more or less treated as a matika in this text, so they occur multiple times. Hence this listing is basically representing an abstracted version of the patimokkha as used in the Parivara.
    • Remove these from the menu entries.
    • Retain them simply as parallels data. The URL for the suttaplex list can still be there (although it currently is broken and doesn’t display parallels), but there is no need for it to be part of the navigation.
  • For the Vibhangas (and the patimokkhas) we should add vaggas.

SAN Lokuttaravada

• For the sub-menu under “Nidāna”, we should correct the spelling of the second-level Nidana to Nidāna. And also, remove the number.

LZH Mahasanghika

• The (Khandhaka) is a ghost division, much like the Bhikkhu/Bhikkhuni Parivara as listed above. Treat it the same way: remove it from the menu, and retain it merely as UID and parallels.

Mulasarvastivada

The two patimokkha texts currently not classified under language should be in SAN, as per list above.

Other

The texts under “Other” and 'none Sect" should be collected in one “Other” section as in the list above, with language icons applied per text in the submenu.

@Blake - I added the ‘Udānavarga de Subaši’, uid ‘uvs’ to the menu under Minor Other.

I’ve just renamed this section “Dharmapadas” as per our most recent conversations on the menu structure.

1 Like

But the Dhp appears in 2 places, also in the KN. I guess that’s fine because it belongs there.

Yes, i asked Blake about this and it seems it will probably work so far as the coding goes. It’s a little odd, but I think it would make it convenient.

1 Like