Pali Commentaries

Is there an online resource where I can easily find the Pali Commentary for a specific sutta? It’s OK if the commentary is in Pali? For example, I’m reading MN 49 right now, and I’d like to easily find the Pali Commentary for it. Then, I plan to use ChatGPT or Google Gemini to translate it:-)

I know that Digital Pali Reader has pali commentaries and sub-commentaries. For ex. for MN 49, you can see the sutta with the commentary here :
Digital Pāli Reader.

3 Likes

The Pāḷi Tipiṭaka (tipitaka.org)

Scripts > Roman > Aṭṭhakathā

4 Likes

Thanks! I’m having difficulty finding the Commentaries MN 49, but I think that’s because everything is in Pali.

MN First section > Cūḷayamakavaggo then ctrl & f and type in sutta name to jump to the commentary

2 Likes

Thanks! It looks like the link you shared with me has the actual sutta on one side of the screen and the commentary on the right. The commentary was not what I expected. It reads like a similar but different sutta. Are you sure that’t the commentary to MN 49?

You should be seeing this

3 Likes

It does seem to agree with the link shared by Ceisiwr.

2 Likes

The way the commentary works is it will take a phrase from the sutta, quote it, and then provide commentary. This is formatted in DPR with bold text, so the bolded passages are the quotes from the source sutta, and the non-bold text is the commentary.

2 Likes

Thanks again! I wish I could Mark your response as a solution, too.

2 Likes

That’s so helpful! I couldn’t make sense of it before.

1 Like

There is a Thai site that I occasionally use:

84000.org

It has the Tipitaka in Thai-script Pali and romanised Pali; two Thai translations of the Tipitaka; the commentaries in Thai-script Pali and romanised Pali; and the Thai translation of the commentaries.

Using Google to translate from the Thai translation of the commentaries is far from perfect, but it will at least give you the gist of what the commentary is saying.

4 Likes

You can also find the commentaries (and much else) at tipitaka.org

3 Likes

That was my first post :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for responding Bhante @sujato !

Interestingly, I found this on a recent sweep through old github issues:

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing – IMO, commentaries on SC well-organized with the corresponding sutta would be awesome!

Yes, we haven’t progressed on this, but something may still happen.

Perhaps the best approach would be to have a dedicated site for the commentaries that used SC’s ID numbers so they can be easily connected.

2 Likes

It seems like the commentaries would be a good resource when comparing parallels. For example, when comparing a Pali sutta with a Chinese parallel, if the commentary is more consistent with one than the other, perhaps that might suggest the one that the commentary is more consistent with is closer to what the Buddha said. I’m sure this may be an oversimplification, but it seems like the commentaries would be useful in comparative study.

What are you talking about?

The only commentaries that are useful for this kind of study are the Sanskrit commentaries mostly preserved in Tibet which occasionally quote EBTs.

The commentaries we’re talking about here, though, are the Pāḷi commentaries (see the topic title). Of course they’re always going to match the Pāli. That’s their job…

1 Like