Pali -> English embedded dictionary

I just accidentally stumbled across the above mentioned dictionary: IT’S AWESOME! Therefore, I’d like to congratulate you (although, will have to deduct a few congratulatory points for the feature not being announced with a marching band as it ought to have been).

1 Like

not sure what is meant by ‘embedded’ but if it’s the one supplying texts with tooltips, i too think it’s massive, it saves so much hassle involved in having to refer to a dictionary at every word

3 Likes

Shucks! Oh well, not all descriptions are destined to succeed. By ‘embedded’ I sought to point to the fact that the dictionary is to all intents and purposes ‘within’ any of the given Pali texts.

For clarity, however, I mean the “The lookup dictionary” that can be switched on under the Control tab on the top left menu that shows a translation (where available) of any word one hovers over.

yes, the “Lookup dictionary”, now i too know its official name

it was more indicative of my own uncertainty than of the aptness of the term

nevertheless i guessed it right :smile:

1 Like

Thanks so much Aminah. You’re right, it’s one of our killer apps. Note that @blake has mostly completed work on a new version, which triples the awesome. Also note that a similar tool is available for the Chinese texts. Even if you know no Chinese, you can read the Agama suttas side by side with their Pali parallels and mostly understand them.

3 Likes

Sweet! Can’t wait to check it out.

Make sure you don’t forget the marching band this time!

1 Like

This is an awesome feature. Helps me understand deeper meanings sometimes hidden in pali words that can not be directly translated for one word.

Sujegesstion: I have been using this feature while reading the sutta to simultaneously learn Pali. It would be cool to have a small add to list button (+) on the embedded dictionary one day so that I can keep adding new words that I learn while reading the Suttas, and to refer them on a latter time to remember.

Thank you in advance.

Is there a plan to use Digital Pali dictionary or Ultimate Pali-english dictionary as the main source for this? It seems like the current one is not fully able to describe some words when the suffixes are changed.

Welcome to the forum!

It would! Kindle does something like that for English words, i.e. collecting your dictionary lookups.

Unfortunately once a website has to keep individual user data things get extremely complicated. When ideas like this have been brought up before the developers usually aren’t interested. But you are always welcome to add an issue to the GitHub repository suggesting a feature.

It takes a little bit more work, but from a learning perspective it may make more sense anyway for individuals to collect things exactly as they like and put them into some kind of spaced repetition/flashcard system.

1 Like

So, yes!

What’s that?

1 Like

It’s one of 2 dictionaries that this app uses, it seems to have more words compared to DPD when I use the app. I dunno how to get it outside of the app, maybe need to ask the developer.