Pali translation questions about "no self"

Hi everyone :slight_smile:,

There seems to be a few posts in this thread which are a tad on the heated/argumentative side.

I don’t think it’s necessary to point out anyone in particular, I believe if there is a sense of sincerity in your practice, then you’ll know if it’s you.

I am reminded of a story when Ajahn Sumedho was still a junior monk.

As the story goes, Ajahn Sumedho found fault with one of his fellow monastics at the time.

He felt very strongly that his point/s were valid enough, so in the next sangha meeting Ajahn Sumedho brought it upon himself to discuss these faults in the presence of the sangha.

As I understand, Ajahn Chah was away during this meeting. Due to the complaints that were made, the monk in question was very ashamed and consequently disrobed.

When Ajahn Chah returned from his trip and heard what had happened, he spoke to the young Ajahn Sumedho and basically said that ‘you were right in vinaya, but wrong in dhamma’.

Very often we can get swept up in our own self-righteousness and get absolutely convinced to ‘tell that person how it really is/should be’.

When we get to this point, better to just walk away rather than type/say something which we might later regret, don’t believe Mara.

I think the first verse of the metta sutta sums it up nicely.

Kp 9 Metta sutta
Those who are skilled in the meaning of scripture
should practice like this so as to realize the state of peace.
Let them be able and upright, very upright,
easy to speak to, gentle and humble;

Thanks everyone, let us continue the discussion in a gentle manner :anjal:

9 Likes