Paramattha dipani quote translation help

veneration to the sangha & deep respect for dhamma scholars.

i request someone to kindly translate the following quote.

Visesena passanti etāyāti vipassanā. Aniccānupassanādikā bhāvanāpaññā. Tāya hi yogino khandhesu lokiyamahājanena passitaṃ itthipurisādikaṃ niccasukhādikañca atikkamitvā visesena aniccādikameva passantīti.

• Paramattha Dīpanī, § 170 of Kammaṭṭhāna saṅgaha paramatthadīpanī (9th chapter).

with respect & metta,

manish

1 Like

This is rough because I’m going out soon.

This has been edited after feedback.

That which discriminates (visesena passanti) is vipassana.

It is the wisdom aspect of cultivation which is the contemplation of impermanence etc.

By which, the yogi, transcending what is seen by the worldly multitude as permanent happiness in such categories as male and female etc, through discrimination, only sees impermanence etc in the khandas.

In response to further feedback

Edited: changed sees impermanence etc in the khandhas to "only sees "
Edit: changed “permanence and happiness” to permanent happiness

3 Likes

sadhu sadhu sadhu

deeply grateful for your reply.

1 Like
  1. why “Aniccānupassanādikā” and not “Aniccānupassanādi”?
    kindly clarify this word.

2. why “aniccādikameva” and not “aniccādi / aniccādika”? is it meant they “only see” anicca etc. and not male/female etc.

with respect & gratitude,

manish

1 Like

ādika means ādi.

ādikameva is an idiomatic expression meaning the same. And so on, and such like.

Edited: I have been corrected, eva means “only” here.

Without doing a full breakdown, ādika vs ādi may just a an individual choice of the author. I don’t know if there is any historical stratification of these two terms.

1 Like

veneration to the sangha
(please forgive me for not offering my respect to the sangha before. i noticed that you are a sangha just now).

venerable! your translation has illumined the dhamma for me. deeply grateful to you!

kindly allow me to translate it this way:

Visesena passanti etāyāti vipassanā. Aniccānupassanādikā bhāvanāpaññā. Tāya hi yogino khandhesu lokiyamahājanena passitaṃ itthipurisādikaṃ niccasukhādikañca atikkamitvā visesena aniccādikameva passantīti.

the ‘special way of seeing’ [with panna i.e. yathabhuta-nanadassana i.e. tilakkhana bhavana of paramattha sacca] is vipassana.
aniccanupassana [the moment-to-moment experiential contemplation of impermanence] etc. are the bhavana [cultivation] of panna [insight]. it is through it [taya hi] that yogis ONLY see anicca [impermanence] etc. [aniccādikameva] in the khandas [5-aggregates] transcending [atikkamitvā] what many worldly beings [lokiyamahājanena] see as permanent happiness FROM male/female etc. [itthipurisādikaṃ niccasukhādikañca]

1 Like

Yeah, that may actually be better. I think eva may in fact be “only” here now you have pointed this out.

venerable!

kindly check each word & correct for me.
i will be deeply grateful.

with veneration & gratitude at the feet of the sangha,

• manish

eva is only. we use that way in sanskrit.

dika is fine.

kindly check my “from” interpretation.
does it mean- permanent happiness FROM male/female (forms)?

1 Like

itthipurisādikaṃ niccasukhādikañca

permanent happiness FROM male/female etc?

is that perfect translation?

1 Like

@Suvira pray for your compassionate guidance venerable!

My guess is that these have been kept as separate word pairs because of the thematic similarity. I.e. male & female, permanence & happiness.

I too had wondered if the permanence and happiness of/from male and female had been meant. But that would be slightly odd in context.

So I think the original way I had expressed it is fine.

It looks like you have thought about this more than me anyway, I am just on my way out the door. The precise sense of cpd bhāvanāpaññā is also not completely clear to me either.

venerable,

your grasp of pali grammar is better than me.

i see meaning from language & sutta / abhidhamma patipatti perspective.

‘permanent happiness’ looks like an adjective. but of what? has to be permanent happiness from / of male-female.
…ref: puranca kammam

==

bhavanapanna is fine. the bhavana of panna is vipassana bhavana . vipassana bhavana is aniccanupassana, dukkhanupassana & anattanupassana (tilakkhananupassana). imho - this beautiful quote confirms that the actual bhavana (patipatti dhamma bhavana) of panna is experiential tilakkhananupassana.
this is confirmed by the vipassana teaching tradition of most ven. aggamahapandita ledi sayadaw (who wrote this paramattha dipani) and the great teachers in this tradition: anagami saya thetgyi & sayagyi u ba khin.

kindly admonish me, venerable, if i said something wrong.

deeply grateful for your insight & metta,

sangham saranam gacchami,

manish

Yes, I think this is better, permanent happiness in (=from) such categories as male and female.

i am finalizing it as:
permanent happiness etc. OF male/female (forms) etc.

kindly confirm & permit me, venerable

I think you have a better grasp of this quote than me, normally in English we would say “to find happiness in something” though.

etayati = is called?

etayati = is
or
etayati = is called

???

etayati = this is called

am i right?

i have arrived at this translation:

the ‘special way of seeing’ [with panna i.e. yathabhuta-nanadassana i.e. tilakkhana bhavana of paramattha sacca] is what is vipassana.
aniccanupassana [the moment-to-moment experiential contemplation of impermanence] etc. are the bhavana [cultivation] of panna [insight]. it is through it [taya hi] that yogis specially see (through vipassana eyes) only anicca [impermanence] etc. [aniccādikameva] in the khandas [5-aggregates] transcending [atikkamitvā] what many worldly beings [lokiyamahājanena] see as permanent happiness etc. of male/female (forms) etc. [itthipurisādikaṃ niccasukhādikañca].