Passing of Ven. Vimalaramsi

I know he doesn’t get mentioned much here on the forum, but he had been around for quite some time and folks may have known who he is.

I haven’t found any official anouncement on his website or FB page. It appears he has been in poor health.

15 Likes

Never found the time to dig into his work, but he always came off as being very dedicated amidst an unflattering reputation. Hopefully he pushed it far enough for things to continue in a fortunate direction. :pray:t3:

3 Likes

Wow, sorry to hear about this.

Sorry to hear this.

I heard last year that his health was poor and that he was living in a nursing home.

I got a lot out of his meditation pamphlet. I also got out of his very concrete instructions for using meditation to help forgive people.

I hope wherever he goes it is a good place.

Thank you for posting this.

1 Like

I hope he had a peaceful death and l, if not awakened, a good rebirth.

3 Likes

There is a wikipedia page on him.

1 Like

I don’t know what Bhante was to Buddhism, but I do know in what way he inspired me. Maybe not in a great sense, but he had a few tricks up his sleeve that I keep in my toolbox, and for that, he is as good a monk, teacher or friend as anybody else. I started listening to the video, but lost interest in the flow of words, and felt it was better to go into stillness and gratitude.

:orange_heart:

Bhante V was know for his focus on metta as an object of mindfulness as well as the

6R’s

Recognize
Release
Relax
Resmile
Return and
Repeat

Much metta and gratitude for all his contributions.
Www. Dhamma Sukha.org

4 Likes

It is with a heavy heart that I acknowledge the passing of Bhante Vimalaramsi, a revered teacher and guide in my spiritual journey. While his physical presence is no longer with us, his teachings and wisdom continue to resonate, providing a source of comfort and guidance.

I find solace in the belief that he has reached a good destination, a testament to his lifelong dedication to the Dharma. His tireless efforts to spread the teachings of the Buddha have left an indelible mark on countless lives, including my own. His contributions to the growth of the Sangha are a testament to his commitment and passion for the Dharma.

His talks and books have been a beacon of light in my path towards understanding and practicing meditation. The insights I’ve gained from them have been transformative, shaping my perspective and approach to life. I am grateful for the wisdom he has imparted, and these teachings will forever hold a special place in my heart.

I feel a sense of joy knowing that Bhante Vimalaramsi was able to spread and preserve his teachings during his lifetime. His legacy will continue to inspire and guide individuals on their spiritual journey, ensuring that the wisdom of the Dharma lives on.

As I reflect on his life and teachings, I am filled with gratitude for his contributions to the Dharma and the Sangha. His life serves as a reminder of the transformative power of mindfulness and compassion. While I mourn his passing, I also celebrate his life and the profound impact he has had on my spiritual journey. May his journey onwards be filled with peace and serenity.

3 Likes

I’m happy to have learned from the Ven. Vimalaramsi that there is a way to practice “jhana” with respect to “metta” ( or v.v.).

It seems a metta+jhanna methodology should be an obvious and safe way to move the spiritual life forward. Alas, I have a history of trauma related to religious groups which does not allow me to ignore the slightest of uncomfortable intuitions. Blessing or curse, I cant digest the provided material with a settled mind.

I hope Ven. Vimalaramsi’s work in this area inspires bhikku(ni)s of strong and respectable morality, mindfulness, and insight… to lay reliable stones along the path - luminous with kindness and truth.