Patriarchy influences happiness

The relationship between the statements is this: I perceived it was possible that someone who was affected by IPV with a male victim (not just the victim themselves, but their loved ones) might read my words about how the most extreme form of IPV is so much more commonly perpetrated against women, and male victims are the exception, might have this reinforce negative perceptions that being a male victim of IPV more generally is rare, uncommon, odd, strange, weird, or perceived that way by others. When, of course, it’s not.

Of course, now that I’ve spilled so much ink talking about that, I want to reinforce how serious of a problem I of course consider it to be that so many women are murdered by their husbands. Every single one of those 482 deaths in 2019 was a tragedy and violence against women is a very serious societal issue about which not enough has been done, particularly in my country (USA). I’m thankful for you bringing up this important issue, and standing by it when challenged.

The relationship between those statistics is more complicated, and likely ties in to your later statement “We can not say for certain how much is nature, and how much is nurture”. These are “dark statistics” (stats about things that are purposefully hidden). There’s a lot of theories for the gap between the rates at which men and women are subject to IPV, and are impacted by IPV, and all of them have enough holes in them that it’s clear there’s no one single answer.

All that we can say with some degree of certainty is that while ~ 1/3 of both men and women in the US are the victims of IPV in their lifetimes, and ~5% of men and women in the US are the victims of IPV each year, the outcomes for female victims are worse. How much of that is “physical” biology, how much of that is biology going on in the brain, how much of that is socialization, how much is the material environment, etc. has not been firmly established as an epidemiological / sociological finding.

That’s not a challenge to any convictions you might hold based on personal experience, just a summary of my understanding of what can be known from publicly available research.

Thank you for the clarification based on real facts and excellent research. Now I understand your point, and we agree that the whole of it is reprehensible. And you are quite right about this:

And that fact is also a matter which affects all humans [except Buddhists?] and society in so many harmful ways. And it’s my conviction that examining and rectifying this violence, which seems to stem from some general power imbalance, might go a long way in assuaging the violent impulse of the human ego at large. But of course this will not happen without intense introspection en masse, and for that I have little hope in this current global incarnation.
Maybe next time? Mean while I wish you peace and harmony in your life that touches others in the kindest ways.
Mucho Metta to you :nerd_face:

1 Like