Physical illnesses caused by mental factors

Hi, Dhamma Brothers and Sisters!
Am I wrong if I say Ven. Girimananda, Tissa and Sudinna were sick affected by unwholesome thoughts or distorted perceptions?
And except for these monks, I also want to ask you to share any other sources of the Buddha’s teachings in regard to bodily illnesses and pain caused by mental factors.

kayacittam sukham bhavantu.

It is as if two sheaves of reeds were to stand leaning against one another. In the same way, from name-&-form as a requisite condition comes consciousness, from consciousness as a requisite condition comes name-&-form. From name & form as a requisite condition come the six sense media.

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka/sn/sn12/sn12.067.than.html

2 Likes

Bhanthe, I think improving one’s mental state can have positive physical effects such as an a positive effect on the immune system, which is well known in research.

Ven Girimananda would have already experienced these practices and reminding him of them made him happier. Similarly the discourse on the 7 factors of enlightenment to Ven Kassapa would have put him in a better state of mind, as he would stopped doing them because of the illness.

with metta

1 Like

I don’t think we should rely on the suttas about every aspects of life. The Buddha taught about suffering and the way out of it but there are many areas where human societies have made progress since. In particular treatment of medical conditions.

I believe what you are asking is what Psychology defines as psychosomatic conditions.
If you have access to the internet you’ll find a lot of resources for this condition including:

2 Likes

Hi dear, Alaber!
Thanks for your concern. You’re right that I’m talking about psychosomatic illnesses and that there’re many secondary sources from modern scientists but what I need much is primary sources from the teachings of the Buddha: Sutta, Vinaya and Abhidhamma because I need more proof for my Buddhist research; therefore, if anyone here has seen any Buddhist sources regarding psychosomatic problems, please, with all due respect, share them with me. :slight_smile:

Then there are positive examples of this, of clearing up of complexion.

Then the householder Nakulapita, delighting in & approving of the Blessed One’s words, rose from his seat and — bowing down to the Blessed One and circumambulating him, keeping him to his right — went to Ven. Sariputta and on arrival, having bowed down to him, sat to one side. As he was sitting there, Ven. Sariputta said to him, “Your faculties are clear & calm, householder, your complexion pure. Have you had the opportunity today of listening to a Dhamma talk in the presence of the Blessed One?” SN22.1

With metta

1 Like

Hi dear Mat!
Thanks for ur showing us that sutta.
Nakulapita Sutta is of great, great aspect of the Buddhist counseling. Its main statement is “though our bodies are sick, don’t let our minds get sick.”

Sabbesatta sukhita hontu;
Dukkha muccantu panino.

2 Likes