SuttaCentral

Physics and Buddhism: Devas, what could they be?

Another Physics and Buddhism post here, this time, investigating devas! There are nine parts, just click on part 1 to get the links to the rest. Enjoy reading and commenting!

I really appreciate commentary on taboo Buddhist topics.

I hadn’t known of the Vimanavatthu. On Sutta Central, it looks like about a fourth of those texts have been translated into English. I fully understand how massive of an undertaking translation is, but, respectfully, I’ve thought about learning Pali to have access to every EBT.

Regarding the existence of devas, the most compelling arguments I’ve heard—both of which are mentioned in your essay—were based on theories of higher dimensions and of the multiverse. Mathematically, both are within the realm of plausibility, and could facilitate the existence of such beings.

Devas, what could they be?

Why, they’re devas, of course!

When you explain a why you have to be in some framework that you allow something to be true, otherwise you’re perpetually asking ‘why?’…
In the early level, one of the things you’ll just have to take as an element in the world, is the existence of magnetic repulsion. I can’t explain that attraction in terms of anything else that’s familiar to you. If we say ‘magnets attract like as if they were connected by rubber bands’ I would be cheating you! Because they’re not connected by rubber bands. You’d soon ask me about the nature of the bands and then I’d really be in trouble. And secondly, if you were curious enough, you’d ask me why rubber bands tend to pull back together again and I’d end up having to explain that in terms of electrical and magnetic forces. … So, I’m not going to be able to give you an answer as to why magnets attract each other, except to tell you that they do.
~ Richard Feynman

As a general observation, there is still a great deal about the universe that is not known or understood.