Please keep reporting errors and typos!

Various elements are mentioned both in AN1.18 and AN6.38. The renderings do partly differ. In AN3.38, “persistence” is used for two different Pali terms.

AN1.18:1.1: “Nāhaṁ, bhikkhave, aññaṁ ekadhammampi samanupassāmi yena anuppannaṁ vā thinamiddhaṁ nuppajjati uppannaṁ vā thinamiddhaṁ pahīyati yathayidaṁ, bhikkhave, ārambhadhātu nikkamadhātu parakkamadhātu.
AN1.18:1.1: “Mendicants, I do not see a single thing that prevents dullness and drowsiness from arising, or, when they have arisen, gives them up like the elements of initiative, persistence, and vigor.

Compared to:

AN6.38:2.1: Taṁ kiṁ maññasi, brāhmaṇa, atthi ārabbhadhātū”ti?
AN6.38:2.1: What do you think, brahmin, is there an element of initiative?”

AN6.38:3.1: Taṁ kiṁ maññasi, brāhmaṇa, atthi nikkamadhātu …pe…
AN6.38:3.1: What do you think, brahmin, is there an element of persistence …
AN6.38:3.2: atthi parakkamadhātu …
AN6.38:3.2: exertion …
AN6.38:3.3: atthi thāmadhātu …
AN6.38:3.3: strength …
AN6.38:3.4: atthi ṭhitidhātu …
AN6.38:3.4: persistence …
AN6.38:3.5: atthi upakkamadhātū”ti?
AN6.38:3.5: energy?”

I know you love consistency! :smile:

In the note to AN 6.39:1.6 the sutta reference to AN 4.193 seems to be wrong. In this segment it is about hate not giving rise to love, and AN 4.193 doesn’t have anything of that sort. It’s probably AN 4.200.

We’d just wish it were always the Buddha … but sometimes it was not :cry:

AN6.41:1.2: ekaṁ samayaṁ āyasmā sāriputto rājagahe viharati gijjhakūṭe pabbate.
AN6.41:1.2: At one time the Buddha was staying near Rājagaha, on the Vulture’s Peak Mountain.

One little comma makes the meaning much clearer: :bulb:

Thig1.15:1.3: Samūlaṁ taṇhamabbuyha,
Thig1.15:1.3: Having plucked out craving root and all,

versus

Thig1.18:1.5: Samūlaṁ taṇhamabbuyha,
Thig1.18:1.5: and having plucked out craving, root and all,

Another instance without comma is found at SN4.23:13.3.

And a variation of the translation is here, whether on purpose or not I don’t know:

SN22.22:7.3: Samūlaṁ taṇhamabbuyha,
SN22.22:7.3: and craving’s pulled out from the root,

1 Like

SN 7.3 “The brahmin Bharadvāja the Fiend heard a rumor effect that a brahmin …”
maybe needs to add “to the” effect

“Then Dustin the warrior chief went up to the Buddha, bowed, sat down to one side, and said to him:”

Am I missing something with the use of the name ‘Dustin’?

2 Likes

The original name is Yodhajiva… loosely translated as “Dustin” which means “brave fighter” or “valiant fighter”.

2 Likes

You probably missed this thread. :laughing:

3 Likes

In Thag15.2:16.7 Soḷasakanipāto niṭṭhito. is not translated into English. Usually the “end of book” phrases are translated.

1 Like

Just means the 16th book/chapter is finished.
Often these ‘housekeeping’ tags aren’t translated.

1 Like

DN14:1.31.6: ‘Rejoice, O King! An illustrious son is born to you. You are fortunate, so very fortunate, to have a son such as this born in this family!’

The segment has a closing quote mark, but the quote isn’t actually finished.

2 Likes

https://suttacentral.net/dn13/en/sujato

Should there be a ‘these’ in this sentence to be consistent with the earlier sentence?

Should there be a ‘the’ in this sentence…

This one too?

To be consistent with earlier statement?

2 Likes

And this one too…

2 Likes

DN14:3.12.4: Ete mayaṁ, bhante, bhagavantaṁ saraṇaṁ gacchāma dhammañca.
DN14:3.12.4: We go for refuge to the Blessed One, to the teaching, and to the mendicant Saṅgha.

It’s about the first two disciples of Buddha Vipassī, and there is no mendicant Saṅgha yet.

1 Like

Thanks for all these, keep 'em coming, I’ll make the changes.

1 Like

DN14:1.12.22: Mayhaṁ, bhikkhave, etarahi suddhodano nāma rājā pitā ahosi.
DN14:1.12.22: My father was King Suddhodana,

versus

DN14:3.30.10: Bhagavato, mārisā, suddhodano nāma rājā pitā ahosi.
DN14:3.30.10: Your father is King Suddhodana,

Both have the same Aorist ahosi, so the second instance should be “Your father was King Suddhodana”.

Similarly for segments 1.9.7, 1.11.7, 3.30.7, and 3.30.9.

DN14:1.31.1: Jāte kho pana, bhikkhave, vipassimhi kumāre bandhumato rañño paṭivedesuṁ:
DN14:1.31.1: When Prince Vipassī was born, they announced it to King Bandhumata,

They announced it to King Bandhuma.

DN14:3.2.12: ‘nassati vata bho loko, vinassati vata bho loko, yatra hi nāma vipassissa bhagavato arahato sammāsambuddhassa appossukkatāya cittaṁ namati, no dhammadesanāyā’ti.
DN14:3.2.12: ‘Oh my goodness! The world will be lost, the world will perish! For the mind of the Realized One Vipassī, the perfected one, the fully awakened Buddha, inclines to remaining passive, not to teaching the Dhamma.’

Should be: “For the mind of the Blessed One Vipassī …”; the “Realized one” has probably been copied from SN6.1.

One gives a gift to a someone practicing to realize the fruit of perfection.
shouldn’t have “a”
SuttaCentral

4 Likes

Maybe it would be good to choose one spelling for consistency.

Similar case: The seven treasures of a wheel-turning monarch are sometimes spelled with hyphen and sometimes without, even in the same sutta (for example DN17).

DN17:1.26.13: Sovaṇṇamaye kūṭāgāre rūpiyamayo pallaṅko paññatto ahosi, rūpiyamaye kūṭāgāre sovaṇṇamayo pallaṅko paññatto ahosi, veḷuriyamaye kūṭāgāre dantamayo pallaṅko paññatto ahosi, phalikamaye kūṭāgāre sāramayo pallaṅko paññatto ahosi.
DN17:1.26.13: In each chamber a couch was spread: in the golden chamber a couch of silver; in the silver chamber a couch of beryl; in the beryl chamber a couch of ivory; in the crystal chamber a couch of hardwood.

Should be: “in the silver chamber a couch of gold”.

2 Likes

hi there, not sure if this is intended, but when venerable @sujato’s translation of MN36 is rendered in my browser the emphasis markdown * is seems to not be working at the sentence below (when I paste it here it works though!):

Stemming from that memory came the realization: ‘That is the path to awakening!’

2 Likes

Another little consistency issue: In DN 17, segments 1.8.3, 1.10.3, 1.14.4, and 1.21.7 have “the army of four divisions”, segments 2.8.2 and 2.8.4 have “the army with four divisions”.

In all other instances throughout the suttas it is “the army of four divisions”.

DN17:2.5.13: caturāsīti vatthakoṭisahassāni ahesuṁ khomasukhumānaṁ kappāsikasukhumānaṁ koseyyasukhumānaṁ kambalasukhumānaṁ;
DN17:2.5.13: He had 8,400,000,000 fine cloths of linen, silk, wool, and cotton.

versus

DN17:2.15.9: Tesaṁ kho panānanda, caturāsīti vatthakoṭisahassānaṁ ekaṁyeva taṁ dussayugaṁ hoti, yaṁ tena samayena paridahāmi khomasukhumaṁ vā kappāsikasukhumaṁ vā koseyyasukhumaṁ vā kambalasukhumaṁ vā.
DN17:2.15.9: Of those 8,400,000,000 cloths, I only wore one pair, made of fine linen, cotton, silk, or wool.

I think the second instance has the correct order of the cloths.

Another one:

AN 5.48, AN 5.49, AN 5.50 have “someone liable to old age”, whereas AN 4.182 and AN 4.255 have “someone liable to grow old”.

1 Like

Don’t worry, that will be fixed in the upgrade.

2 Likes

DN18:22.12: Yepi hi keci bho etarahi samaṇā vā brāhmaṇā vā anekavihitaṁ iddhividhaṁ paccanubhonti, sabbe te imesaṁyeva catunnaṁ iddhipādānaṁ bhāvitattā bahulīkatattā.
DN18:22.12: or present who wield the many kinds of psychic power do so by developing and cultivating these four bases of psychic power.
DN18:22.13: Passanti no, bhonto devā tāvatiṁsā, mamapimaṁ evarūpaṁ iddhānubhāvan”ti?
DN18:22.13: gentlemen, do you see such psychic might and power in me?”

“Gentlemen” should start with a capital. It starts a new sentence.

3 Likes