Please report any errors or typos!

Hello Bhante, not sure if this has been reported yet.

I was reading MN 21: The Simile of the Saw…possibly my favorite sutta :grinning:

I came across this:

So Kāḷī got up even later in the day. Vedehikā said to her: ‘What the hell, Kāḷī!’ ‘What is it, madam?’ ‘You’re getting up even later in the day—what’s up with you, girl?’ ‘Nothing, madam.’ ‘Nothing’s up, you bad girl, but you get up even later in the day!’ Angry and upset, she grabbed a rolling-plin and hit Kāḷī on the head, cracking it open. Then Kāḷī, with blood pouring from her cracked skull, denounced her mistress to the neighbors: ‘See, ladies, what the sweet one did! See what the even-tempered one did! See what the calm one did! How on earth can she grab a rolling-plin and hit her only maid on the head, cracking it open, just for getting up late?’ Blockquote

I’m not an expert in all things ancient India but perhaps it should be rolling pin…not plin?

Wonderful translations Bhante, much appreciated.

With respect and Metta
:grinning::anjal:

1 Like

Should it? It sounds fine to me.

Fixed throughout.

I’m not sure what the issue is here?

Fixed.

No, the Pali is negative, na kallaṃ, “It would not be appropriate”.

This is a bug in the markup, we will fix it.

Oops! Fixed now.

1 Like

I’m not 100% sure if this is a typo or deliberate, but the following from sn42.2 seems terribly odd to me:

‘Suppose a dancer entertains and amuses people in a stage or festival with truth and lies.

on a stage’ feels more right to me.

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve changed it to “on a stage or at a festival”.

There must be a proper grammatical word for this kind of situation. In Pali you have the locative case, which covers “in” “at”, “by” and so on, but in English you have to supply a preposition, gaining specificity, but also creating more fussiness. Anyhoo, at least they’re laughing!

3 Likes

I believe the grammar is called parallel construction. It can indeed get fussy. Perhaps that’s not the word you are looking for.

I hope it’s OK to make an observation, rather than report an error.

In Bhikkhu Bodhi’s tranlation of SN 35.82 SuttaCentral we have:

“It is disintegrating, bhikkhu, therefore it is called the world. And what is disintegrating? The eye, bhikkhu, is disintegrating, …

Bhikkhu Sujato has SuttaCentral

“It wears away, mendicant, that’s why it’s called ‘the world’.
“‘Lujjatī’ti kho, bhikkhu, tasmā lokoti vuccati.

This initially seemed odd to me, but in Ven Ñāṇananda’s Nibbana Sermon 20 (Nibbana - The Mind Stilled Books Archive - seeing through the net) he comments:

Here the Buddha is redefining the concept of the world, punning on the verb lujjati, which means to “break up” or “disintegrate”. To bring about a radical change in outlook, in accordance with the Dhamma, the Buddha would sometimes introduce a new etymology in preference to the old. This definition of `the world’ is to the same effect.

So, I presume that @sujato has chosen the translation “wears away” to preserve some sense of the Pali pun. It’s starting to grow on me, and perhaps I can propose my own extension of the idea:

The weary world wears away… :sunglasses:

This imagery that all that we take to be the World is disintegrating/wearing away, is both inspiring and terrifying…

2 Likes

I prefer Lujjati to mean ‘fragmenting’ as this is more attuned to the unique experience of vipassana when being mindful of sense bases, and aggregates (Loka) arising and passing away rapidly.

With metta

Well, yes, of course one can relate this to the development of the idea of the insight knowledge of dissolution: The Progress of Insight

But that’s not an EBT… :sunglasses:

1 Like

It’s a bit of a strained pun, to be sure: but then, so is the Pali!

2 Likes

This sutta seems to suggest otherwise! We barely have the meanings of the five aggregates much less their durations!

With metta

It seems a sentence that does not belong crept into MN17 SC 1:

Then the Buddha robed up in the morning and, taking his bowl and robe, entered Kapilavatthu for alms. He wandered for alms in Sāvatthī.

https://suttacentral.net/mn131

This discourse opens with a short but powerful set of verses extolling the benefits of insight into the her and now, followed by an explanation.

Fixed!

Fixed!

3 Likes

I believe MN24 SC9:

“Reverend, is our spiritual life lived under the Buddha?”

should read “your spiritual life”.

2 Likes

The Pali name given for MN26 is Pāsarāsi-sutta, but the English translation is The Noble Search. Shouldn’t The Noble Search be Ariyapariyesanā-sutta and Pāsarāsi-sutta be translated as Discourse on the Heap of Snares?

I find it confusing when the Pali does not fit the translation.

1 Like

https://suttacentral.net/an7.53/en/sujato

…was on his way from the north to the south on some business. he heard Nanda’s Mother reciting…

No, the Pali is no, i.e. “our”.

The sutta appears under both titles in modern manuscripts and in the commentaries. In such cases, unless there is a clear argument for historical priority, I translate according to the best-known modern usage.

Fixed!

1 Like

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-kd22/en/horner-brahmali#BD.5.422

Then the venerable Revata, thinking: “I This elder is old, but he is not lying down,”

The word “I” seems to be incorrect

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-kd22/en/horner-brahmali#BD.5.414

the practice as to five finger-breadths is allowable

Should be two, not five.

The first is incorrect on-line, in the epub and in the PDF. The second is only incorrect on-line and in the e-pub.

https://suttacentral.net/pli-tv-kd17/en/horner-brahmali#Kd.17.4.2

The Devadatta invited the venerable Sāriputta

The should be Then. Wrong in the e-pub and on line. Not sure about pdf.

2 Likes

https://suttacentral.net/thag15.2/en/sujato-walton

An person who has become

A person

my mind inclined to little effort and and not to teaching dhamma.

Please, honoured sir, you should know that many of these Nigaṇṭhas, waying their arms,

Then this reasoning arost in the mind of the venerable Dabba the Mallian as he was meditating in solitude

having approached, having greeted the veherable Dabba the Mallian, he sat down at a respectful distance.

1 Like