SuttaCentral

Please report any errors or typos!

This really isn’t an error, but I didn’t want to start a new thread. Feel free to split off if you like.

In SuttaCentral there is this bit…

“As a renunciate, the one who was a giver would surpass the other in five respects. They’d usually use only what they’ve been invited to accept—robes, alms-food, lodgings, and medicines and supplies for the sick—rarely using them without invitation.

Bhikkhu Bodhi says “specifically offered to him.” To me “using them without invitation” sounds like using them without permission. If it really needs to say invitations, could it say “special invitation”?

When living with other spiritual practitioners, they usually treat them agreeably by way of body, speech, and mind, rarely disagreeably. As a renunciate, the one who was a giver would surpass the other in these five respects.”

As I understand it in this translation “they” is being used as a third person singular without gender, which I think is good. But here the meaning is unclear because there are two “theys.” Cpuld it be rephrased to

They are usually treated agreeably by way of body, speech, and mind by the other spiritual practitioners they live with, rarely disagreeably.

Just an idea.

From Venerable Brahmāli’s Vinaya section

It is around this time that sectarian tendencies are starting to form in the monastic Order, and this is roughly the cut-of-point for the common heritage of all Buddhists.

cut-off-point