Present Participles Translated with Simple Present

Dear all,
do you know any telling Pāḷi passages where a present participle ought clearly be best rendered into English with a simple present tense (e.g. “goes”), with the present continuous aspect (e.g. “is going”) being impossible or not preferable? I searched several grammars but nobody seems to acknowledge this supposedly in many cases viable alternative. I thought of adducing this sentence: santaṃ yeva kho pana paraṃ lokaṃ ‘natthi paro loko’ti vācaṃ bhāsati – “although the other world exists, he says ‘there is no other world’”, MN II – majjhimapaṇṇāsapāḷi , p. 34 [MN 60], but for any additional information I would be grateful. Thank you!

Mettāya!

3 Likes

It seems like a good example. The problem is, it’s hard to trawl the canon for specific cases, although it seems like it would be quite normal. Is there any specific reason you’re interested in this case?

3 Likes

Thank you, bhante, for the perspective, so perhaps I stick to this one. :pray: I am writing a grammar and would like to show a clear instance of such an occurrence, especially because I couldn’t find it explained anywhere else …

1 Like