Proofreading the Mahavastu

Posting the latest update.
mvu-en 16 Jan 17.zip (623.6 KB)
Up to page 180.
Work on this has been a bit slow in the last few months due to pressing commitments which are now complete. :sweat:
Progress now returning to a more steady rate. :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Mvu lists the 32 marks of a Great Man:

He has feet with level tread.
He has designs of wheels on the soles of his feet.
He has long toes and fingers.
He has broad and projecting heels.
He has sharply arched feet.
His legs are like the antelopeā€™s.
His body is divinely straight.
He can touch his knees with his hands when standing erect.
His male organ is enclosed in a sheath.
His body is proportioned like the banyan tree.
His hands and feet are soft and tender.
His hands and feet are net-like.
His body is perfectly formed.
The down on his body grows in single hairs, one to each pore.
The down on his body grows straight upwards.
He has a smooth skin.
He has a [ ? ] skin.
He has the gait of a swan.
There is no hollow between his shoulder blades.
His body has the seven convex surfaces.
He has an exquisite sense of taste.
His skin is the colour of gold.
He has the bust of a lion.
He has regular teeth.
His teeth are perfectly white.
His bust is consistently rounded.
His tongue is long and slender.
His voice is like that of Brahma.
His eyes are blue.
His eyelashes are like a cowā€™s.
Between his eyebrows he has a hairy mole.
His head is shaped like a royal turban.

No 17, ā€œHe has a [ ? ] skinā€ is missing a description.
Iā€™ve compared this list to others, eg, in Wikipedia, and found that the order and the descriptions of the lists donā€™t match.

As this project is not about updating or changing the original text, unless instructed otherwise, I am going to leave the blank text ā€œ[ ? ]ā€ as is (ie, as it appears in the original text).

Can you give me the chapter number, iā€™ll check the text.

ā€œThe Birth of Dipamkaraā€, p. 181 of the text.

The list, in the original, is in fact more or less an uddāna, i.e. a list of key words in verse form. This explains the variations in sequence; as usual, things are mixed up to fit the metre.

The explanations in the translation are more or less inferred from those key words, based on the regular list, which, to be fair, is not much more descriptive.

The problematic term is a mistake, and should be deleted. The Sanskrit has just one term ślakį¹£į¹‡acchavi (= Pali sukhumacchavi), i.e. ā€œsmooth skinā€.

mį¹›du jālā ca pratipÅ«rį¹‡Ä ekā Å«rdhvāgra paį¹ƒcamā
ślakį¹£į¹‡acchavi haį¹ƒsāntarā ca utsadā ca te daśa

It looks like this was partially duplicated in error. To be clear, it should be:

The down on his body grows straight upwards.
He has a smooth skin.
He has the gait of a swan.

Also, ā€œa smooth skinā€ is also a typo!

If itā€™s a duplicate and we remove it then that will leave us with 31 ā€˜marksā€™ instead of 32ā€¦:confused:

Indeed, yes. There are some discrepancies. Contra my previous explanation that the change in sequence could be explained by metre, there are several cases where the terms are swapped to such a degree that this cannot be the only source.

In addition, the items vary somewhat.

1. samā ā®€ Suppatiį¹­Ā­į¹­hitaĀ­pādo
  2. heį¹£į¹­Ä ca ā®€ Heį¹­į¹­hā
  3. dÄ«rghā ca ā®€ DÄ«ghaį¹…guli
  4. āyatā ca ā®€ Āyatapaį¹‡hi
  5. ucchaį¹ƒga paį¹ƒcamā ā®€ Ussaį¹…khapādo
  6. eį¹‡i ā®€ Eį¹‡ijaį¹…gho
  7. vį¹›hac ca ā®€ Brahmujugatto
  8. tiį¹£į¹­hanto ā®€ į¹¬hitako
  9. kośa ā®€ KosoĀ­hiĀ­taĀ­vatthaĀ­guyho
  10. nyagrodha te daśā ā®€ NigrodhaĀ­parimaį¹‡Ā­įøalo
  11. mį¹›du ā®€ MudutaĀ­lunaĀ­hatthaĀ­pādo
  12. jālā ca ā®€ Jālahatthapādo
  13. pratipÅ«rį¹‡Ä
  14. ekā ā®€ Ekekalomo
  15. Å«rdhvāgra paį¹ƒcamā ā®€ Uddhaggalomo
  16. ślakį¹£į¹‡acchavi ā®€ Sukhumacchavi
  17. haį¹ƒs
  18. āntarā ca ā®€ Citantaraį¹ƒso
  19. utsadā ca te daśa ā®€ Sattussado
  20. rasaį¹ƒ ā®€ RasaggasaggÄ«
  21. suvarį¹‡a ā®€ Suvaį¹‡į¹‡avaį¹‡į¹‡o
  22. sÄ«ho ca ā®€ sÄ«haĀ­pubĀ­baddhaĀ­kāyo or SÄ«hahanu?
  23. samā ā®€ Samadanto
  24. śuklā ca paį¹ƒcamā ā®€ Susukkadāį¹­ho
  25. samā ā®€ SamaĀ­vaį¹­Ā­į¹­akĀ­khanĀ­dho
  26. prabhÅ«tā ā®€ PahÅ«tajivho
  27. brahmā ca ā®€ Brahmassaro
  28. nÄ«lā ā®€ AbhinÄ«lanetto
  29. gopakį¹£ma te daśa ā®€ Gopakhumo
  30. Å«rį¹‡Ä ā®€ Uį¹‡į¹‡Ä
  31. uį¹£į¹‡Ä«į¹£a śīrį¹£aį¹ƒ ā®€ Uį¹‡hÄ«sasÄ«so

As you can see, two itemsā€”body is perfectly formed, gait of a swanā€”have no Pali equivalents.

Meanwhile, two Pali terms have no equivalents in this list, namely: forty teeth (cattālÄ«sadanto (23)) and gapless teeth (aviraįø·adanto (25)).

In addition, the Pali mentions two qualities like a lion (chest and jaw) while the Sanskrit just says ā€œlionā€; from the context, the translator has guessed ā€œbustā€. This explains the missing item.

The Sanskrit text, luckily enough, numbers the list in groups of five. Each is correct, except, by coincidence, the same line we had a problem with before. Or is it a coincidence? Did the translator notice this and insert an empty item?

ślakį¹£į¹‡acchavi haį¹ƒs-āntarā ca utsadā ca te daśa

Anyway, there has probably been some corruption in this line.

Oh, and the complication in this one tiny detail is a good reminder of why weā€™re not editing the translation!

Got it. Iā€™ll leave it as ā€œ[?]ā€ then. But imagine if after all this time you discovered that there were only 31 marks and not 32. Now that would create a stirā€¦and a lot of work to re-write all those suttas/sutras!

I know, right? We must be careful, otherwise weā€™ll make a lot of work for ourselves!

1 Like

@sujato, Bhante, do you know the correct way to write Trayastrimsa?
The text varies with different versions, eg: Trāyastrimśa, Trāyastriį¹ƒÅ›a and Trayasį¹­rimśa.
I assume they are all the same word but that they got the diacritics messed up.

Yes, it should be standardized to Trāyastriį¹ƒÅ›a.

Thanks

@sujato, Bhante, another one: Yama and Yāma.
Sometimes there appears ā€œthe deva Yāma/Yamaā€, and sometimes ā€œYāma/Yama devasā€.
I assume both variations are the same and the correct way of spelling it is Yāma?

Actually, this is more complex than it seems. These are both correct in different contexts. Yama is the name of the god. Yāma is a patrynomic, meaning ā€œof Yamaā€ and is used for the gods in his retinue.

In the same way, for example, the Sanskrit for Buddhist is Bauddha, i.e. you add a short a to the initial syllable to indicate belonging. a familiar example of this is ā€œJainā€; this is short for ā€œJainaā€, which means ā€œfollower of the Jinaā€.

See the entries for:

https://suttacentral.net/define/yama

https://suttacentral.net/define/yāma

If you can clearly distinguish these contexts, great, if not, just leave it.

3 Likes

Ok. Thanks. Perhaps the entries should be updated to explain this (as they donā€™t actually say Yama is the leader of the Yāma class of devas.)

@sujato Bhante, on multiple occasions Mvu refers to Kāśi, for example ā€œthe province of Kāśiā€ and ā€œthe king of Kāśiā€ however, there are a number of times, e.g., one instance on page 57 of Vol 1, three instances on page 347 of Vol 3 where ā€œKāśisā€ is used, however, I think it should read ā€œKāśiā€.

Are you able to concur?

Is it in the sense of ā€œpeople of Kasiā€?

No.

Vol 1 speaks of a city of Kāśis rather than the province of Kāśi ā€œā€¦set rolling the wondrous wheel of dharma in the city of Kāśis.ā€

All the other times (once in Vol. 2 and nine times in Vol. 3) the text speaks of a ā€œking of Kāśisā€ (compared to other instances where a ā€œking of Kāśiā€ is referred to). Example: ā€œNow a worldly king of Kāśis had designs to invade the kingdom Kośalas.ā€

So these look like mistakes.

Ok thanks. Iā€™ll treat them as such.