Proofreading the Mahavastu

Posting update. Up to line 8018 (= page 264 of Mvu Vol 1).
mvu-en 1 Feb 17.zip (625.7 KB)

1 Like

Posting update. Up to line 9914 (= page 27 of Mvu Vol 2).

mvu-en.zip (583.6 KB)

1 Like

No Place for Kittens

A chapter called ā€œAsita and the Young Gotamaā€ has verses describing what Asita saw as he entered the palace gates of King Śuddhodana in Kapilavastu to see the newly born Bodhisattva.

One verse says:

ā€œEverywhere kittens
fall down suddenly,
for they are frightened by
the peacocks that strut about.ā€

I just thought you should know that.:smile_cat:

6 Likes

Knowing this, my life has just got better. :pray:

1 Like

Posting update. Up to line 11392 (= p. 61 of Mvu, Vol 2, The Godhā Jātaka)
mvu-en 5-Mar-17.zip (628.4 KB)

1 Like

May all beings be fluffy. May all beings have tuna. May all beings have places to scratch.

3 Likes

Ba ha!

1 Like

Bhante @sujato. The Mvu sometimes uses ā€œdevaā€ and sometimes ā€œdevāā€. Which one is correct?

Deva is singular, devā is plural.

Oh ok thank you

1 Like

Does anyone know what happened to this project? It would be super cool to have the Mahavastu on suttacentral!

3 Likes

Stu is still around, but he got distracted by life! I saw him a couple of months ago actually.

Ah I see, so itā€™s kind of stalled. Do you need help?

Iā€™ve been meaning to read the Mahavastu myself, and might be able to do some more proofreading. What is left to do?

2 Likes

Sure, that would be great! Iā€™d have to go back and check, we might want to start again. It was years ago, itā€™s quite possible a new and improved version has appeared since then.

2 Likes

I did a little googling and I saw that there is a new edition of the source text by a Polish scholar at Warsaw Uni, Katarzyna Marciniak

Other than that the only other person I know who has recently worked on it is Vincent Tournier. The translations he has done are in French, but they might still be useful.

1 Like

A digital version of the Mahavastu is already available at Mahāvastu-avādana (GRETIL) under a CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 licence.

There is an online version of English translation of Mahavastu by J.J. Jones here:

I think it can be uploaded to Suttacentral with some final touch and proofreading :grin:

This is the old Ɖmile Senart verison, suttacentral should probably use Katarzyna Marciniakā€™s more recent edition if they can.

Yeah, but is this better than the version suttacentral already has? It was already edited and cleaned up considerablyā€¦

Thanks everyone!

• our sankrit text is the old one, but is the new one available digitally? Itā€™s an excellent critical edition, but not easily adaptable for SC. Most of the Mahavastu, moreover, is really outside our purview, itā€™s mainly the sutta content weā€™re interested in.

Indeed, I believe this is our source text and has been proofed.

So it looks like there are no new editions of the translation, so we can proceed with the old one.

2 Likes

Cool, so what do need?