Proselytizing

It sounds like something that might come up in conversation. I don’t see any reason why you should self-censor.

Your observation that there is a connection between your meditation experience and your sense of well-being is not religious proselytisation it is self-reporting.

You shared an experience with others that some may benefit from - what’s the harm? The fact that your kindly neighbours were preprogrammed to object is their misfortune.

Your life experience may be of benefit to others who have open hearts and minds. In this way, you may be able to help some people who can benefit from your personal experience.

You talked about something that you benefitted from but you did not tell them what they should do - or not do. They told you what you were doing was not beneficial and what ‘you’ needed to do to find happiness.

They were pushing their so-called religion* and you were just being honest and truthful. I don’t believe that religion and ‘religious indoctrination’ (dogmatism) are the same thing. Those who feel the religious impulse do not seek to divide people. They have a beginners-mind and are open to surprise.

I don’t see anything problematic about sharing with ‘others’ what we have found helpful in our lives, they can take it or leave it - no problem. If we assume we know what is good for others and insist they should adopt our perspective and/or beliefs then, we are in trouble.

We don’t need to assume that we have all the answers and that we cannot benefit from what we share with each other on our journey of discovery. We can learn from everyone and everything. We don’t need to take a vow of silence but deep-listening is important.

*(What is religion?)

3 Likes