Provided by "suttacentral.net" - I found a typing error in the "Pali English Dictionary"

The Pali Text Society’s Pali-English Dictionary (PDF) and compared.

Jarā: decay, decrepitude old age: https://suttacentral.net/define/jarā

Jarā: decay, decrepitude, old age : http://lirs.ru/lib/dict/Pali-English_Dictionary,1921-25,v1.pdf

1 Like

thank you very much for the PDF version link

1 Like

I wrote a draft translation for “birth, aging, death” from DN22 to an understanding of the word “sattānaṁ”.

I had to take advantage of the links below to modify the draft translation.

I will send the draft translation to message you.

Unfortunately our digital text of the dictionary is riddled with mistakes like this. We have a volunteer who is tasked with fixing them, so hopefully in time we can make available a corrected version.

1 Like

Thanks to the hard work of volunteers.

1 Like

Do you need more volunteers with this?

Aside from the above pdf version, there is also the one by Leigh Brasington (which I think is the origin of the Russian one ;)).

Hi Waiyin,

Thanks for the offer!

As it turns out, our volunteer on this task has been afflicted with this strange and unexpected affliction called “life”, and hasn’t been able to do this so far. I will check with him and get back to you.

1 Like

It will be good to apportion the job by alphabets.

I’m looking at the data because I was hoping to create/get a Kindle version of the PED to use with the Pali versions on the Kindle. Not so sure how much of the Greek and other weird accents should be retained.

I’m having a look at it right now. There are many generic changes that should be made over the entire text, and in addition, local changes to specific entries. It’s not an easy job. I made maybe 200,000 find/replaces this morning, and there are many more.

Nope, it is not an easy job.

One will need to learn a bit about character sets. Also probably best to ‘proof-read’ it word for word. (Hurray, one will probably get to learn lots of Pali words - who else likes to read dictionaries?)

I was working through the data (copy and pasted the Russian Native pdf) and found a few anomalies; e.g. of the 5 instances ṡ, 3 are incorrect (against, its and abstr.), but the other 2 are valid.

Found this: CPED entry:
magga
masculine
oath; road; way.

CPED hardcopy & PDF softcopy shows Path; road; way.

Blimey! That’s a bad mistake. Thanks for letting us know. It will be fixed.

1 Like

[quote=“waiyin, post:11, topic:2300”]
Found this: CPED entry:
magga
masculine
oath; road; way.
[/quote][quote]And what, bhikkhus, is the oath leading to the unconditioned?[/quote]Sounds more like Amitābha than Gotama! :wink:

2 Likes