Provocative "Tricycle" article on "The New Tradition of Early Buddhism"

But that’s just their opinion.

Of course there are truths stated in the Abhidhamma and other commentaries that accord with the Buddha’s teachings in the suttas. The issue is that there are other points that don’t, and relying on the latter works can potentially lead a practitioner into spiritual cul-de-sacs.

Many, if not most, people cannot differentiate many of the teachings of the later works from the teachings of the Buddha in the suttas – which is as close as we can come to the Buddhavacana.

1 Like

Technically, just teaching the dhamma directly from a sutta, explaining what the Buddha was saying in the sutta is commentary. However, there’s a difference between teaching say, anapanasati and Buddha Nature. Anapanasati is from the suttas and might be interpreted in somewhat different ways, but I think that Buddha Nature as a universal consciousness or spirit doesn’t fit with EBTs and the Buddha’s teaching as a whole.

1 Like

Of course. It’s their faith.

Of course there are truths stated in the Abhidhamma and other commentaries that accord with the Buddha’s teachings in the suttas. The issue is that there are other points that don’t, and relying on the latter works can potentially lead a practitioner into spiritual cul-de-sacs.

Many, if not most, people cannot differentiate many of the teachings of the later works from the teachings of the Buddha in the suttas – which is as close as we can come to the Buddhavacana.

The point I was making was that if there is a practice within the framing of the NEFP which leads to less greed, hate and delusion what does it matter if it’s early or late, EBT or Abhidhamma or Mahayana? All would be the word of the Buddha.

Thanks. I see what you’re saying.

I guess we may understand “the word of the Buddha” differently. The words of the Buddha in the suttas is as close as we can come to what he actually said and taught, whereas those in commentaries are not directly his words, or his words at all, although they may, as you wrote, help to reduce the defilements.

I don’t think Buddhavacana has just a literal meaning of “words the Buddha directly spoke”. We don’t see that in the suttas, where the words of disciples are also said to be Buddhavacana. What they said is Buddhavacana, because it agrees with the meaning or spirit of the Dhamma. So, to give a modern example, it matters less if we focus our attention at the nose tip, abdomen or just the breath and more if by doing that we get closer to Jhāna and nibbāna. If there are people who have done that via all those different methods, then all those methods of meditating are Buddhavacana. Likewise if there is a rapture and pleasure apart from sensual pleasures when meditating, what matter is it if its absorbed into a nimitta or not? I can’t see that it does matter, as long as they lead to wisdom. Again, what does it matter if one meditates on the 4 elements or the Abhidhammic rūpa-kalāpas if via both delusion is given up?

Yes, this is the typical Buddhist outlook. At the same time, I suspect lots of Buddhists throughout history have felt uneasy about this, especially the educated ones. I mean, it just doesn’t stack up. But then the forces of culture have stifled these alternative voices. What this means is that I don’t think it is impossible to change the narrative. Once the case has been properly made, I expect the floodgates to open. The message just needs to be repeated until people get used to the different perspective. Standing outside of traditional Buddhist societies, we have the luxury of not being subject to the same cultural forces. This means we have a responsibility of saying unpopular but necessary truths.

I prefer the former understanding. The latter view seems to be rooted in suttas such as AN8.8, which has been shown by Bhante @Sujato, here, to be late. As I have shown above, the Buddha seems not to have agreed with this.

In theory, I agree that anything that agrees with the word of the Buddha could be considered Buddhavacana. The problem is that it is often hard to judge whether there is real agreement or not. The discussions found in the Kathāvatthu are enough to remind us how hard it can be to discern the authentic from the inauthentic. The easiest solution is often to leave aside anything that is even remotely problematic. There is plenty enough to reflect on in the early suttas.

It is perfectly possible to reduce defilements through the wrong means. For instance, indulging in sensual pleasures will lead to a temporary reduction in craving. But I am sure we can agree that this is not the path recommended by the Buddha. Similarly, powerful faith in a creator god may reduce the defilements, but will block you further down the path. And so a reduction in defilements is not a sufficient criterion to decide what is Buddhavacana. (It is interesting to note how we are already disagreeing. Sticking to the word of the Buddha will minimize such problems.)

Only when the Buddha gives his stamp of approval. Then, of course, it is as if it was spoken by the Buddha himself.

12 Likes

Thank you for the reply Bhante

Yes, this is the typical Buddhist outlook. At the same time, I suspect lots of Buddhists throughout history have felt uneasy about this, especially the educated ones. I mean, it just doesn’t stack up. But then the forces of culture have stifled these alternative voices. What this means is that I don’t think it is impossible to change the narrative. Once the case has been properly made, I expect the floodgates to open. The message just needs to be repeated until people get used to the different perspective. Standing outside of traditional Buddhist societies, we have the luxury of not being subject to the same cultural forces. This means we have a responsibility of saying unpopular but necessary truths.

As you probably know the Sarvāstivāda-Vaibhāṣika taught that the Abhidharma was produced by later monks (and likely nuns). They also taught that all the later Theras did was extract it from their sutras. Since their Abhidharma accords with the meaning, it is Buddhavacana. It might have been in response to this view that the Theravādins claimed their Abhidhamma was taught by the Buddha himself.

I prefer the former understanding. The latter view seems to be rooted in suttas such as AN8.8, which has been shown by Bhante @Sujato, here , to be late. As I have shown above, the Buddha seems not to have agreed with this.

In theory, I agree that anything that agrees with the word of the Buddha could be considered Buddhavacana. The problem is that it is often hard to judge whether there is real agreement or not. The discussions found in the Kathāvatthu are enough to remind us how hard it can be to discern the authentic from the inauthentic. The easiest solution is often to leave aside anything that is even remotely problematic. There is plenty enough to reflect on in the early suttas.

I had more in mind AN 8.53

“Sir, may the Buddha please teach me Dhamma in brief. When I’ve heard it, I’ll live alone, withdrawn, diligent, keen, and resolute.”

“Gotamī, you might know that certain things lead to passion, not dispassion; to yoking, not to unyoking; to accumulation, not dispersal; to more desires, not fewer; to lack of contentment, not contentment; to crowding, not seclusion; to laziness, not energy; to being burdensome, not being unburdensome. You should definitely bear in mind that these things are not the teaching, not the training, and not the Teacher’s instructions.

You might know that certain things lead to dispassion, not passion; to unyoking, not to yoking; to dispersal, not accumulation; to fewer desires, not more; to contentment, not lack of contentment; to seclusion, not crowding; to energy, not laziness; to being unburdensome, not being burdensome. You should definitely bear in mind that these things are the teaching, the training, and the Teacher’s instructions.”

Combined with the 4 Great References (or even if i take them alone), which Sujato has shown is referring to fitting within the 4NT and training, we can say that if a teaching leads to the diminishing of greed, hatred and delusion then it is Buddhavacana. I find this quite liberating, as it puts an end to all the squabbling about Bodhisattvas (I quite like Tsongkhapa’s argument that the Bodhisattva and the Arahant both have the same awakening, and so end up meeting each other), absorbed Jhāna vs non-absorbed, momentariness and so on.

It is perfectly possible to reduce defilements through the wrong means. For instance, indulging in sensual pleasures will lead to a temporary reduction in craving. But I am sure we can agree that this is not the path recommended by the Buddha. Similarly, powerful faith in a creator god may reduce the defilements, but will block you further down the path. And so a reduction in defilements is not a sufficient criterion to decide what is Buddhavacana. (It is interesting to note how we are already disagreeing. Sticking to the word of the Buddha will minimize such problems.)

I did say within the framework of the NEFP Bhante. That would exclude indulging in sensual pleasures. As for practicing with a view of a creator God, the Buddha did teach the brahmavihārās and discussed Great Brahma with people. It wouldn’t lead to a total cessation of greed etc no, but it would lead to Jhāna and a good rebirth. That is also an aspect of Buddhadhamma, and so Buddhavacana.

Only when the Buddha gives his stamp of approval. Then, of course, it is as if it was spoken by the Buddha himself.

That would then rule out a literalist reading of Buddhavacana, as it means Buddhavacana is also that which is in accordance with the Dhamma. I have already mentioned the case of the 4 elements vs rūpa-kalāpas. Now I don’t think the Buddha taught rūpa-kalāpas. I think he taught people to meditate via the 4 elements scheme. The 4 elements here being the material stuff out of which we and the physical world are made (rather than being forces or whatnot like “cohesion” which i hear often from both EBT folk and Ābhidhammikas). Now the aim of both is to undo attachment to the body, by seeing its emptiness. Does it really matter then if someone does this via the 4 elements or by way of rūpa-kalāpas, as long as the end result is the same (I would even argue that one could do it via the modern theory of atoms too)? I have heard Sujato say before, and many EBT people too, that rūpa-kalāpas don’t really exist, but neither do the 4 elements! There is, in our modern understanding, no such thing as an “earth element”. Its an outdated ancient theory of matter. From my point of view though it doesn’t matter. The Buddha wasn’t teaching a correct proto-science, or science or ontology or whatever. He was teaching concepts which we use as a means to let go. You mentioned the Kathāvatthu earlier. The problem there, the problem with the early schools, was in grasping the doctrine instead of using it as a raft.

1 Like

Right. And of course this is exactly the problem since the Sarvāsivādin view was controversial and contested.

Fair enough.

Err … I really cannot agree with this. The idea of a creator god is wrong view. The path doesn’t even start if one holds to this idea. Each factor becomes wrong, including the samādhi. Sammāsamādhi is precisely defined as one-pointedness of mind supported by the remainder of the path (MN117).

It obviously matters whether the Buddha gives his approval or not. At the same time, I am not really proposing that it is possible to practice the Dhamma purely based on Buddhavacana. Interpretation is always going to be necessary, and this by definition is commentary. The point is more that not all commentary is equally useful or accurate. Moreover, the Dhamma - as is true for all religion - sometimes moves in a scholastic direction. What this means to my mind is that there is a need to restate the primacy of the Buddhavacana at regular intervals, which is indeed what has happened throughout Buddhist history. There is a see-sawing back and forth. In the end, we need a mixture of Buddhavacana, experience through practice, and common sense. Much of this is fraught. The most reliable and stable things in all this is the word of the Buddha, and thus its preeminence.

9 Likes

Hi Venerable, thank you for your extensive response to that parenthetical aside! I had to go back and read its context to remember why I said it.

I generally share your strongly worded assessment of the preeminence of the early Buddhist texts over later commentarial and sectarian literature. I included that aside not actually to suggest otherwise, but to point to a romantic ideology in my community in general, in which older cultural artifacts are often uncritically thought of as better in a way that communicates aversion to modernity, technology, and complexity of thought. As you said in another comment above, commentary is needed to explain the early texts, but even good commentary is sometimes rejected by folks who express this romanticism.

5 Likes

Thanks for this. This is reassuring. We are much closer than I had thought.

Good luck with the Dhamma in the US!

3 Likes