Punctuation in legacy texts

I am aware that no changes are made to legacy translations. But this is about punctuation, not the actual translation.

SN12.61/de/geiger:

https://suttacentral.net/sn12.61/de/geiger#sc11

aus dem Nichtwissen als Ursache entstehen die Gestaltungen; aus den Gestaltungen als Ursache entsteht das Bewußtsein aus dem Bewußtsein als Ursache entsteht Geist und Körper; aus Geist und Körper als Ursache entstehen die sechs Sinnesbereiche; aus den sechs Sinnesbereichen als Ursache entsteht die Berührung; aus der Berührung als Ursache entsteht die Empfindung; aus der Empfindung als Ursache entsteht der Durst; aus dem Durst als Ursache entsteht das Erfassen aus dem Erfassen als Ursache entsteht das Werden; aus dem Werden als Ursache entsteht die Geburt; aus der Geburt als Ursache entstehen Alter und Tod, Schmerz, Kummer, Leid, Betrübnis und Verzweiflung.

In two places semicolons are lacking:

• aus den Gestaltungen als Ursache entsteht das Bewußtsein**;** aus dem Bewußtsein als Ursache entsteht Geist und Körper;
  • aus dem Durst als Ursache entsteht das Erfassen**;** aus dem Erfassen als Ursache entsteht das Werden;

And a bit further:

Aus dem restlosen Verschwinden aber und der Aufhebung des Nichtwissens folgt Aufhebung der Gestaltungen; aus der Aufhebung der Gestaltungen folgt Aufhebung des Bewußtseins aus der Aufhebung des Bewußtseins folgt Aufhebung von Geist und Körper, aus der Aufhebung von Geist und Körper folgt Aufhebung der sechs Sinnesbereiche, aus der Aufhebung der sechs Sinnesbereiche folgt Aufhebung der Berührung, aus der Aufhebung der Berührung folgt Aufhebung der Empfindung, aus der Aufhebung der Empfindung folgt Aufhebung des Durstes, aus der Aufhebung des Durstes folgt Aufhebung des Erfassens, aus der Aufhebung des Erfassens folgt Aufhebung des Werdens, aus der Aufhebung des Werdens folgt Aufhebung der Geburt, aus der Aufhebung der Geburt folgt Aufhebung von Alter und Tod, Schmerz, Kummer, Leid, Betrübnis und Verzweiflung.

• aus der Aufhebung der Gestaltungen folgt Aufhebung des Bewußtseins**;** aus der Aufhebung des Bewußtseins folgt Aufhebung von Geist und Körper,
  • From here on semicolons are replaced by commas which I feel is a minor issue.
1 Like

If you want to make those changes, contact @Aminah, she’s handling the up-to-date HTML files.

1 Like

Hi @Aminah, if you feel these things should be corrected, maybe it would be best to give me access to the respective files (if that is not too complicated). By the time I report things here I could also correct them directly in the file and wouldn’t need to bother you with that.

Maybe this is the only instance I’ll ever find, maybe I will find a few more.

If you feel it’s not worthwhile correcting this, please just forget about it.

1 Like

:scream_cat: Since when?!!! !

Of course, it’s true that the site is no longer being developed for legacy texts, and definitely all new translation projects will be set up on Bilara, but legacy texts are still being added, and of course corrections can be made. Right at the moment I’m preparing some Bengali legacy texts for the site.

This is absolutely wonderful! And yes, I’m always enthusiastically encouraging of those brave enough to adventure into GitHubland and send through corrections. Just at the minute legacy texts are a in a way on hold as an upgrade is pending, but a little later in the day I’ll send you the link to where they live so you can make the relevant amendments.

Thank you! :pray:

2 Likes

As I understood, it has always been the case that we leave other people’s translations as they are, no matter whether we think they did apply the grammar correctly or not, or whether they chose the appropriate term or not. Just as with source texts. Exceptions be punctuation.

If of course Ven. Nyanatiloka resurrects from his tomb and asks for certain edits to be made in his translations I’d be most happy to fulfill his wishes!!!!!

:wink:

Thanks for sending me the link to the repository.

1 Like

Oh yes, sorry was on the fly this morning; absolutely, other people’s translations should be left as they are, with a few small exceptions and this is certainly a sound one.

:joy: :rofl: :laughing: :pray:

This is a link to the branch where legacy texts are currently being held. They will flow back into the master branch once some site updates have taken place: https://github.com/suttacentral/sc-data/blob/html-clean5/html_text/de/pli/sutta/sn/sn12/sn12.61.html. I think you may just be able to make the changes right there in the GitHub interface just by clicking on the pencil icon on the top, right. That said you may also need privileges to do this; not sure … :woman_shrugging: … can you let me know?

2 Likes

No, I don’t. I can edit totally unprivileged! :pencil:

1 Like

Awesome!!!!! Thanks. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Heehee… nope!

Edits done, but…

Bildschirmfoto%20vom%202019-09-26%2015-06-47

I can’t submit! :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Yes, I was going to mention that I wanted to see if a pull request would come through before being certain, but just figured I’d wait.

Hold on, I’ll see if I can fiddle… :hammer_and_wrench:

1 Like

What about now? (you may have to accept an invitation to be a collaborator first. Also, in and amongst it, I really hope your edits aren’t lost and so sorry for the time waste if they are).

1 Like

I now see this at the top of the page:

You’re editing a file in a project you don’t have write access to. Submitting a change to this file will write it to a new branch in your fork sabbamitta/sc-data, so you can send a pull request.

At the bottom the “propose file change” button is still greyed out, also in the tab that I could open from the link in the email that invited me to collaborate (and which I accepted).

1 Like