Putting myself out to pasture

I’m in a bit of a flap about trying to pack a bag at the moment (there doesn’t seem to be anywhere to fit a steamer!!!) and I’m so sorry that I can’t pause to try and think of a more creative way to again, express how touching it all is. So I’ll just through over a massive digital hug before dashing off.

11 Likes

Aminah, thank you for all your support, encouragement and inspiration!
:heart:
:pray:

6 Likes

:sweat_smile::sweat_smile::joy::joy:
Good to know. We were preparing to body search you when you arrive.

10 Likes

:slight_smile: May you be happy, peaceful, freed from all suffering.

I am grateful for the positive influence the wisdom and kindness and humor which you have used has had on me and otherwise.

7 Likes

Hi Aminah
Best wishes and hope you will continue to enjoy the path.
The moderating a Buddhst form is just a short resting place in that journey.

7 Likes

You were a great mod. AFAICT, You always tried to be fair, acted with patience and kindness, and avoided sarcasm and scorn. Whoever comes next will have some big shoes to fill!

Buena suerte!

11 Likes

I’m not sure if it is really a ‘resting place’ to moderate a Buddhist forum… but I guess, Aminah, you’ve deserved a rest now from this work! :wink:

6 Likes

:joy: :rofl: :joy:

In fact, it is quite amazing what one can accomplish with merely a kettle and a scrapper when no-one is looking. :grin:

(May the mods strike me down for being terribly off topic, but please allow me to offer massive, massive thanks for having me)

Really, all of the extraordinarily kind notes offered here mean so much to me, yet more thanks to each and every one; I’ve been quite taken aback.

This comment, however, is particularly special for me; thank you so much. I’d be the first in line to say I undoubtedly made many mistakes along the way, but from my side what remained true throughout was the wish and endeavour to be as fair as possible. Actually, while never wanting to speak on other people’s behalf, I can certainly say that my experience is that this goes for all the mods I ever worked with, too.

Yippeeeeeeeeeeee! Bye! :running_woman: :smile:

11 Likes

We’ll keep your room as you left it. :yum:

8 Likes

I should have shared those already a long time ago—I’ve been living with these under-wallpaper-doodles for the last two years now:

They’ve been drawn 50 years ago, I guess mainly by my sister and myself, and some added later by my niece.

Aminah, if you’d come along with your steamer and help get the rest of the wallpapers off, that wood indeed be more than fantastic… :open_mouth: :star_struck: :smiley: :wink:

5 Likes

:laughing: :joy: :rofl: :joy:

What beautiful work. Thank you so much for sharing! If you can just let me which suttas these doodles spring from I’ll get saving my pennies to book a trip right over!

4 Likes

It’s obviously about the four noble truths: the truth of suffering, the origin of suffering, the ending of suffering, and the practise leading to the ending of suffering. :wink:

8 Likes

Dear @Aminah, is it wrong… to say you were my favorite mod?

I’d just echo what others have already said in saying that you’ve always presented yourself as very balanced, fair, logical… basically, upekkha-y.

I honestly had a bit of a scare with the wording of this thread title, sounds like a euphism for some sort of Old Yeller-y type of sad ending :sweat_smile: … but you’re just retiring from the burdens of moderating… :fireworks::fireworks::fireworks: …so Congrats! :smiley:

4 Likes

:flushed: Ooops! So sorry; that angle never even occurred to me. Be assured, whenever the time comes, I will strive to announce my actual death in a more considerate way.

I’m obviously a little biased with respect to that one as I take the beautiful, extraordinarily good people I worked with as dear friends. All the same, I am yet again, deeply humbled by the kindness loaded in your thought. I’ve really valued your input to the forum, too.

:anjal: Much thanks! Thus far it’s proving to be quite a hoot.

5 Likes

Thank you for setting such a wonderful example. You’re leaving the bar set really high. :pray::pray:

5 Likes

The ‘truth of suffering’ surely describes Aminah leaving as moderator :frowning:

Well all things pass, as will surely my tears.

Aminah, I have only now seen this discussion and can only agree with everyone else’s comments, so will only add that I have been ever so touched by your presence and will really really really really really miss you being a moderator… wishing you all the very best

10 Likes

Fascinating proposal. I would like to improve it. :upside_down_face:

1. Suffering - Aminah is leaving
  2. Origin - Craving for Aminah to be still here
  3. Cessation - Aminah becomes an immortal spirit who haunts SuttaCentral forever, always moderating, leading to an end of Aminah’s not being here
  4. Path - Now we just need a path to Aminah’s personal immortality, I’m sure the suttāni can help

Buddhism can solve everything! :person_in_lotus_position:

12 Likes

:joy: :joy: :joy: :joy: :joy:

Far from encouraging me towards digital saintliness, you’ve come very close to tempting me to take the first steps towards becoming dictator! I had a Dr. Strangelove-esque wrestle with myself to prevent me from absusing my almighty powers and creating and issuing you a “Made a post almost as hilarious as Bhante’s post about zombies” badge.

In fact, I can report that suffering is what happened to my lungs after an extended laughing spell! Thanks for the cheer and the exercise. And a dollop of sarcastic thanks for making it impossible to reply to Linda’s beautiful message without giggling!

@Linda, it surely does go to the heart. Thank you and matching warm wishes to you, too. :anjal:

11 Likes

In the words of the heretics, “affliction is bodhi”.

2 Likes