Question related to MN 4

Hello I have a question related to below passage in MN4 -

**Some time later, that’s what I did. As I was staying there a deer came by, or a peacock snapped a twig, or the wind rustled the leaves. Then I thought, ‘Is this that fear and dread coming?’ Then I thought, ‘Why do I always meditate expecting that fear and terror to come? Why don’t I get rid of that fear and dread just as it comes, while remaining just as I am?’ Then that fear and dread came upon me as I was walking. I didn’t stand still or sit down or lie down until I had got rid of that fear and dread while walking. Then that fear and dread came upon me as I was standing. I didn’t walk or sit down or lie down until I had got rid of that fear and dread while standing. Then that fear and dread came upon me as I was sitting. I didn’t lie down or stand still or walk until I had got rid of that fear and dread while sitting. Then that fear and dread came upon me as I was lying down. I didn’t sit up or stand still or walk until I had got rid of that fear and dread while lying down.

I want to know what did Buddha mean here? Is He referring to being mindful of the fear state arising in him? Is that how he overcame fear in the wilderness? I wish to know what Buddha meant to teach through above passage?

Please guide. Much metta!

2 Likes

Yes, the Buddha was being mindful of the fear that was arising within him whilst in whatever posture he was in at the time.

He was maintaining that posture and not changing until the fear had subsided.

4 Likes