Random Sutta Getter — r.ReadingFaithfully.org

Congratulations on developing such coding expertise, it definitely works. But I‘m mystified as to the benefits. Or did I just pull a short straw? :wink:

4 Likes

Yes, that’s the nature of parts of the SN and AN. I guess someone could manually pull out all of those from the offering. Or maybe if the contents of the sutta is less than x characters it could be skipped. Or maybe if they end with a ?

Thoughts, anyone?

4 Likes

Done! How exciting.

I think I like your description in German better than the one in English! Also, I forgot to mention that you didn’t need to include the disclaimer. If you would rather not have that I don’t mind if you delete it.

Thank you! And thank you for all your hard work translating the suttas!

1 Like

Yes, thinking about it, I rather like to delete it. It’s sort of funny, but perhaps better without.

Thank you for your help to get this done! :pray:

1 Like

You can replace it with anything at all that you think would be helpful. Maybe Germans don’t do silly things like asking questions to the universe.

If you just want it deleted, I can do that, or if you just want to give me the sentence you want there, I can pop it in.

1 Like

I have already deleted it. Well, I felt confident enough to just do it.

If I can think of something nice instead I can always replace it now.

1 Like

Here is the ReadingFaithfully page on Dhammaregen now:
https://dhammaregen.github.io/dhammaregen/sites/readingfaithfully

From here you get to the “real thing”.

And great thanks for putting the GitHub link directly on the site, it makes it so easy to do any change that may be needed! We also have it on Dhammaregen, and it’s sooo helpful!

3 Likes

Or both cases maybe.

1 Like

yes, less than 200 sounds about right.

2 Likes

Yes, in that case, this code wouldn’t be well suited to that. As it is written, it would only find a translation 5% of the time it looked. For German it finds one about 50% of the time. And of course English is 100%.

2 Likes

I personally just wouldn’t mind seeing these short Suttas every now and again. If it’s too short I’d perhaps just press the button again, which I also would do if it’s too long …

2 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: A wishlist of resources

OK! I finally added the ability (in the English version) to allow the selection of books:

Hopefully people would still like to select all books, but it’s very true that if it is pulling from SN and AN, then about 80% of the time the results will be from there.

8 Likes

Wow! Great feature! :+1:

Thank you so much for making this! I love using this to get some inspiration from the suttas

3 Likes

Dear @Myles,

Welcome to the D&D forum!

Enjoy the multiple resources here available: may these be of assistance along the path.

Should you have any questions, feel free to contact the @moderators.

With Metta,
Ric
On behalf of the moderators

1 Like

You’re welcome! And welcome to the community. Do you know about the daily sutta emails? That’s another way to get an injection of Dhamma into our lives.

Thank you. I do know about them yes, I enjoy reading those each day.

1 Like

I noticed that the German version of the random Sutta getter doesn’t show the Sutta name for Dhp files, whereas the English version does (I only see that it’s Dhp from the URL line for German). Also, the space between verses is irregular for German, while regular for English:

I think the irregular space thing is because it accounts for the (invisible) untranslated Pali titles.

I am aware that you don’t want to put much effort into the German version, so please ignore this post if fixing these issues would require more work than you would like to invest. I am not sure if it only affects the Dhp—it may even not be worthwhile fixing it then at the moment as right now there are only two Dhp files translated.

I still enjoy getting a random Sutta from time to time! :cherry_blossom: :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ll see what I can do. No worries.

1 Like