Rationale behind choice(s) of the alternate sutta translation

SuttaCentral offers alternate translations to Sujato’s version, which is free of copyright / IP restrictions. The Buddha’s dispensation should be free to everyone without restriction.

The questions are:

[1] On this page starting with AN 10.61 Bhihkkhu Bodhi’s translation is listed as the alternate version for AN 10.61. Further down the page, for AN 10.69 Bhikkhu Thanissaro’s version was chosen. Furthermore, Bhikkhu Bodhi’s version was excluded from the “More” list of AN 10.69.

[2] Sometimes no alternate translation is chosen. e.g. this page starting with MN-111. MN-111 to MN-116 have no alternate listed. Further down the page, Bhikkhu Bodhi’s versions were listed as the alternate for MN-117 & MN-118.

[3] Sometimes two alternate translations are listed, e.g this page starting with MN-11. For example, MN-11 to MN-13 have two alternates listed, by Bhikkhu Bodhi & by Horner. However, for MN-15 to MN-18 only Horner’s version is chosen. As well, for MN-19 & MN-20, the order of the 2nd & 3rd choice is reversed between Bodhi & Horner.

What are the rationales behind choosing the alternate translation(s)? Don’t they have copyright restrictions?

These questions might have been answered already but I could not find it.

You should be able to see the copyright if you click on the (i) icon at the top of each text.

Only a small selection of Bhante Bodhi’s texts have been released for free distribution. And Ajahn Thanissaro has not translated the complete nikayas.

3 Likes

I would only add that if there are additional texts by either of these venerables, or any other good translators, we are most happy to add them (time permitting).

4 Likes