Referring to Xbhikkhu

Thank you for clarifying this point. I want to show respect by using the correct form. Not being familiar with the etiquette, I tend to use the form with which a person signs off - I reflect it back. It has on some occasions felt too informal, but I felt that to not use the form which they used was rude… lol… I’m relieved to hear that to most the form is not the most important thing.

metta :anjal::dharmawheel:

6 Likes

There’s Bhikkhu Bodhi and then there’s Thanissaro Bhikkhu.

And there’s (the) Mahasi Sayadaw, (the) Pa Auk Sayadaw

Not to mention Nyanatiloka Mahathera, or Nyanaponika Thera

(Comically, books by the latter are s/w times found listed under “last name” Thera.)

Other than not seeing beyond one’s native language usage – a sort of parochial viewism – what’s the issue here?

(The respect issue might be said a sort of red-herring, but for the sad fact that many modernist Western “buddhists”, and even in this forum, question the stature or worthiness of monastics. Some promote liberating Buddhism from them, and promoting lay gurus as the proper teachers and leaders.)

1 Like

It was mostly to see if other people thought Sujatobhikkhu or Vimalabhikkhunī looked insufficient or actively less respectful than “Ven X”.

1 Like

That comment speaks volumes to me. For more than two decades I have used the term “Bhante” which I always understood to be less formal than Venerable in addressing a monk in most circumstances, such as in a class or meditation situation, but still respectful. If I am unsure, however, such as in the presence of a male or female monastic I do not know, or from a tradition I’m less familiar with, I would be inclined to use the term Venerable, at least at first.

3 Likes

Hi Trevor as previously mentioned in the thread it is relative to some degree, but in general most communities an honorific title -whatever it is, Bhante Ayya Achaan Venerable Sayadaw Swami- all carry the same weight, unless the individual(s) concerned specify otherwise, so I wouldn’t worry to much about it. But as you alluded to if we have just met a monastic we are not familiar with, if we know the honorific title used in their tradition it can help to avoid feeling awkward or uneasy about doing something unbecoming. Or as you stated use the generic English term Venerable which is also a good idea as it is more of a neutral term, at least in the beginning until we are more familiar with their their preferences…puggalaññuta parisaññuta.

1 Like

Thank you Bhante