Refreshment, humor and Buddhist Cats

For mental refreshment, when work feels heavy, or dukkha irritation is getting in the way of diligent practice, or when equanimity seems lost, I enjoy cat memes. Mods, if inappropriate please delete.

Especially in the year of the Dog :wink:

Cats and Buddhas

10 Likes

zen-cats

16 Likes

edit : taking done because i am not sure about copyright. Will repost if I can.

1 Like

All is so many
All is but One
None.

7 Likes

satori yet? ā€¦

5 Likes

morpheus-cat_o_222600

6 Likes

kitteh7

some possible captuons:
Dogged Equanimity? :white_check_mark:

ā€¦ when being chewed on the jowl by a kitten, he knows he is being chewed on the jowl by a kittenā€¦

Which is the teacher? which is the student?

Hermitage? Sounds interesting, tell me moreā€¦

ā€œā€¦ 1st Preceptā€¦ 1st Preceptā€¦ā€

" would this happen to be your first retreat? "

4 Likes

cat%20fits%20basket

5 Likes

5 Likes

http://res.cloudinary.com/dm8fu6hv2/image/upload/v1513498450/spontany/exact-moment-photos-tell-different-story-intended/pic_289.jpg

4 Likes

4 Likes

http://buddhisthumor.org/pblaw_fictions.html#alice1

Reading these retreads of english classics, i wonder if the jataka stories were the result of similar recasting of classic (persistent) local stories. :slight_smile: A way of making relaxation itself into congruent with mental concentration on practice.

My favorite bit from the link above so far:

As they walked along, a little Wondering Hum started coming to Pooh. After humming it to himself first, to make sure all the words had found their proper places, he hummed it aloud to Piglet in a wondering sort of way:

If a Wakā€™ning gradually came upon a Pooh,

Would it say Hallo or holler Boo?

Or ask a tricky question

As would curdle his digestion,

Such as ā€œAre there Whatā€™s?ā€ or maybe ā€œWhatā€™s a Who?ā€

If a Wakā€™ning rudely ran into a Bear,

Would it pat his fur or pull his hair?

Or offer him some honey

And tell him something funny,

Such as ā€œNow is Here, but Nothingā€™s Anywhereā€?

If a sudden Wakā€™ning dropped down from the sky

Would it land on Piglet or nearby?

Or quiz him with a quiz

About what isnā€™t and what is

And why his ā€œMeā€ is really not his ā€œIā€?

If a Spotted Wakā€™ning perched up in a tree,

Would it pounce on you or bounce on me?

Or say itā€™s all the same,

That weā€™re all of us to blame,

ā€™Cos He is You are I am They are We?

Pooh was about to hum the first verse again, to make a Round sort of Hum, when he realized that perhaps this was not the best Hum to be humming to Piglet at this hour of the morning. After all, sometimes a Hum might seem very hummish when itā€™s inside you, but when itā€™s outside for other people to listen to, you realize it wasnā€™t so very hummish after all.

Piglet seemed to be thinking the same sort of thoughts, for he said to Pooh, ā€œYou know, Pooh, I donā€™t think a Wondering Hum is the Hum we need just now. I would rather you thought of a Comforting Hum or an Encouraging Hum or a How-Brave-You-Are-Piglet-hup-hup kind of Hum. And besides, now that I think of it, even though Gradual Wakeningā€™s might be fond of Piglets, there are two kinds of Fond, you know. Thereā€™s the how-nice-to-see-you-wonā€™t-you-have-some-of-my-haycorns kind of Fond. And then thereā€™s the my-my-how-tasty-you-look kind of Fond. And how will we know which kind of Fond it is until itā€™s already too late and Iā€™ve just remembered I have something very urgent to do at my house just about nowā€¦.ā€

ā€œDonā€™t worry,ā€ said Pooh. ā€œWeā€™re both in a wondering sort of way because Owl has got us all confused. But Iā€™m sure that when we see Eeyore he will end our confusion, and then a Very Encouraging Hum will come to me.ā€ So Piglet decided that the urgent thing wasnā€™t so very urgent after all, and they continued on their way

4 Likes

Ajahn Brahm frequently cites teachings from, who he refers to as, ā€œAjahn Pooh.ā€

:bear:

3 Likes

Cats and Buddharūpa

May all be happy, peaceful, have a pleasant seat, and ultimately free of all suffering.

:slight_smile:

2 Likes

https://www.garrisoninstitute.org/blog/what-is-the-role-of-laughter-in-contemplative-practice/

2 Likes

D0MhYTSXgAEDO8V

4 Likes

Ty, @Akaliko
31167544-1

grumpy-cat-apocalypse-meme-2

2 Likes