Religious Conservatism

This was the reason I said in reality there is no male or female. For what this story is just explaining how the mind works. So in the story before. There is was no distinction yet. Outside. So it kinda gives a clue

In the female appeared the distinctive features of the female, in the male those of the male. Then truly did woman contemplate man too closely, and man, woman. In them contemplating over much the one the other, passion arose and burning entered their body

https://suttacentral.net/dn27/en/tw-caf_rhysdavids

The whole story if seen correctly is just explaining how the mind works in using outside examples

It makes me remember of this Jataka

1 Like

May all men be reborn as women until they become Buddhas or gender equanimous.

MN44:30.1: And then the layman Visākha approved and agreed with what the nun Dhammadinnā said. He got up from his seat, bowed, and respectfully circled her, keeping her on his right. Then he went up to the Buddha, bowed, sat down to one side, “The nun Dhammadinnā is astute, Visākha, she has great wisdom. If you came to me and asked this question, I would answer it in exactly the same way as the nun Dhammadinnā.

5 Likes

Nicely said. I couldn’t better. :+1:

1 Like

That makes little sense. Why would that need to happen?

Same as being born in the middle class can mean better karma than being born in high poverty
 In any situation, everyone has its own dukkha, and after all, nothing’s better than something else

These are just conditions, sometimes those “worse” are needed to develop certain character traits needed to go forth and succeed.

Since it’s a translation from translation and commentary I won’t take it as real Buddha’s worlds

And even if - that’s not really important
 I’d even say that it’s a dangerous topic, one of those charming Sangha’s unity.

Anyway I can imagine than in a few eons world would look totally different and Buddha being a woman would be the best possible manifestation of Dhamma in that world :slight_smile:

2 Likes

One in a while we all share that text. :pray:t4:thanks for the reminder.

2 Likes

Fun fact: This was the exact part of the abhidhamma where I lost faith in it :rofl:

4 Likes

Really? How come Bhante? For myself I found it was close to my own views. It’s also based on the suttas, where the Buddha talks of masculine and feminine faculties. Still, personally even if I didn’t like it that isn’t reason enough for me to reject it.

2 Likes

It it in the first Abhidhamma book?

Yes. I’ve attached some pictures of the commentary (The Expositor) on the Dhammasaáč…gaáč‡Ä« from Ven. Buddhaghosa regarding the masculine and feminine dhammas:

Wow. Interesting. I have the book that is available online. I didn’t start reading it. Is that a full version? This morning I also read in Samyutta Buddha explaining that it’s the eye etc has the nature of good and bad, and then we wrongly see the outside world as good and bad and permanent. But we have to see it as Buddha teaches, non-self, impermanence etc.

It’s from the full version, yes.

1 Like

How do you understand ultimate realities to be? To me it seems something part of mind-body. So actually not outside. So the meaning of ultimate realities is the reality of your mind, meaning what it cause to happen.So although we see it outside as male and female. In ultimate realities it’s still taught to be rupa because it’s created by your mind. For example I have found this in Chinese Sinhala Commentary where there was instance where a Māra appeared at the monastery and was threatening Monks with death. Saying who is already tired of life, and he offered to kill them. But the weak in mind monks that heard that for first time, was afraid. But others was said that they where not afraid because they knew that the nature of the mind is void.

So here we see our main concern. Understanding that whatever happens outside is void. So knowing that male and female is created by the mind.

Ultimate reality (dhammas) are that which carry their own nature or characteristic and so can’t be broken down further under analysis (sabhāva). Nibbana is a an ultimate reality (dhamma) which carries its own nature (sabhāva) but isn’t a physical or mental dhamma.

There is a big problem with certain teachings. Becareful with this nature thing. I read somewhere that’s it’s not Buddha teachings. If we make it real in our mind that things has nature. Isn’t it accepting the same idea as self? Like the teaching of Buddha simple say there is nothing that has a nature. Simple. It’s like a mirror. Will we say the reflection has it’s own nature?

For me I want to see everything as without a nature of it’s own. Maybe it’s like I was saying to another user. Abhidharma started as a teaching developed by Sariputta for stream-entry.
But I don’t think it as the final way you have to understand things.

What you said is in the first Abhidhamma book also?
Or it’s commentary?

Exactly. As the field of gender studies amply proves, gender can indeed be broken down further under analysis. A lot further.

To suggest otherwise is called “Gender essentialism” and is, in my opinion, an extremist view akin to “race science” or such other ideas which, in the final analysis, serve only as intellectual cover to prop up their respective “-isms”: e.g. racism and, in this case, sexism.

6 Likes

If you accept those theories over the Abhidhamma, sure. Personally I find those theories to be somewhat confused with a tendency to be grounded more in ideology than anything else. There is no requirement for a Buddhist to choose those theories. I wouldn’t say subscribing to an Abhidhammic view is extreme Bhante. Far from it. Calling it pseudo-science doesn’t mean much either since the Abhidhamma isn’t meant to be a scientific theory.

Personally I think there is more wisdom in the Abhidhamma than what you find coming from Marxist professors in liberal arts colleges. Is there a reason why I should listen to them over the Abhidhamma and indeed the suttas, since the Buddha talked about masculine and feminine faculties?

1 Like

We’re all free to listen to whomever we have faith in and to ignore whomever we don’t.

And I lost my faith in the Abhidhamma at the point where it claimed gender is an absolute reality. That’s all. Not looking to convert you, just sharing a fun fact :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Well it’s always interesting to hear different perspectives. Regarding myself I started off thoroughly rejecting the Abhidhamma and the commentaries. I was a Buddhadasa fan for a long time, before moving closer towards the orthodox line. It’s been quite a journey.

3 Likes

Just curious, if you’re happy to share your story, what made you change your opinion on them?

1 Like