Resources for Climate Change Trauma

Both in my personal and professional life I see the impact of climate change on individuals’ moods and outlook on a regular basis. Can I ask people to share Buddhist resources, practices, and texts they find particularly helpful in dealing with the trauma and mental health problems caused and triggered by climate change.

To keep on topic, I would ask that we don’t comment on things like:

• Is climate change real
  • Is it bad
  • What caused it

And focus on identifying Buddhist resources and practices to help those who are suffering poor mental health and trauma because of climate change.

Thank you. :pray:

4 Likes

Thag 6.13

People who approach the Canon for help should be prepared to feel as if they’ve been gaslit. The entire point is to undermine limited perspectives through the development of what is broader; and that means deliberately abandoning the constant reconciliation of particular manifestations of suffering for a far broader knowledge about why there is liability to suffering at all. If a person is unwilling to look at what is broader than their specific concerns and fears and trauma, the teaching is not going to be of much use. A person must be willing to no longer support the very basis of their trauma and come to terms with the fact that the truth may be in a different direction. As far as I can see, that is not something most people are prepared to hear.

The very wording of this topic takes for granted that pinpoint relief of what is unwanted is warranted, but I think that could be very confusing for newcomers or people otherwise looking towards Buddhism for help with something specific. The Dhamma is a resource for gaining freedom from liability to any trauma and it is important that people understand that their own specific beliefs about what is right and wrong are the very things that will come into question, not just simply how to solve what they have already decided is critical in their current view.

I apologize if my post points to something broader than what was specifically asked. :grimacing:

5 Likes

On the contrary, while it isn’t what the post was asking, I think it is an important perspective to the conversation. Thank you. :pray:

2 Likes

Venerable Analayo has these four lectures - Mindfully Facing Climate Change (Lectures) - Bhikkhu Analayo - Google Drive

which are a companion to his book on the subject

3 Likes

Great point! (And love the username description. VERY STRANGELY AND UNUSUALLY i dreamt last night about avant garde jazz. Now I see this, am I still dreaming?)

(Further apologies for off-topicness, will stop now.)

As I mentioned in my previous post, my messages are open if anyone wants to talk about climate trauma.

In Sydney, you can check out Subhana’s work at the Zen Center, she does climate-focused sessions.

You can check out my Youtube channel.

And also writings by myself and Ven Akaliko:

https://lokanta.github.io/writings/

My main focus is on resilience through wisdom: if we understand what is going on we feel less threatened. I think it’s critical to allow grief and trauma to be heard; it is a rational response. If you’re in a hurry to get rid of them, they’ll be in a hurry to come back.

The first thing I did on climate change, albeit indirectly, was my illustrated book Beginnings with its accompanying essay.

You can find a Buddhist climate change action kit from ARRC here:

https://www.arrcc.org.au/climate-action-kits

This was mostly put together by Annie Keating.

4 Likes

You’re very welcome. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks, Bhante! (And glad you liked the description - Bill Dixon’s flugelhorn would certainly have someone wondering whether or not they were dreaming. I assure you I no longer plan to carry out the alteration to the forum lol)

3 Likes