Sankhara in DO and its definition?

Yet, the Buddha claims to have experienced the sublime bliss of the unconditioned.

calm, permanent,
beyond inference,
unborn, unproduced,
the sorrowless, stainless state,
the cessation of stressful qualities,
the stilling of fabrications,
bliss". Iti43

1 Like

This is the Nibbana that occurs before the termination of life. Refer to Iti 44.[quote=ā€œDaoYaoTao, post:21, topic:5771ā€]
unborn, unproduced
[/quote]

Ajātaį¹ƒ asamuppannaį¹ƒ

Regards form as self. That regarding, bhikkhus, is a formation. That formationā€”what is its source, what is its origin, from what is it born and produced? When the uninstructed worldling is contacted by a feeling born of ignorance-contact, craving arises: thence that formation is born. SN 22.81

Good night from here. :timer_clock:

Delighting in the destruction (of craving),
Those stable ones have abandoned all being. Iti 44

So, you are saying, the Buddha did not teach the complete end of suffering in this lifetime, rather he taught the complete end of existence.

Fair enough.

No. I previous posted a Buddha experiences painful feelings & the unsatisfactory characteristic of impermanent phenomena but does not experience the dukkha of attachment.

For me, the end of attachment is the complete end of (mental) suffering in this lifetime. :timer_clock::face_with_thermometer:

So what exactly are we debating here?

So what exactly is D.Y.T debating here? I donā€™t know. :slightly_smiling_face: Good night. Metta :innocent:

I thought you were saying Arahants do suffer and that the complete end of suffering only occurs with the complete end of existence. Which is what many on this forum seem to believe.

Definitely not. I made a typing error in my original reply to you. :timer_clock:

1 Like

Thank you!:heart_eyes:

The DO no longer applies to the Arahant in the forward direction (anuloma): " avijjaa paccayaa sa.nkhaaraa ā€¦ jaati paccayaa jaraaā€¦ dukkha-domanassa ā€¦ etc."
Since the Arahant has completely rooted out ignorance (avijjaa), the DO runs in the reverse order (pa.tiloma) for him: ā€œavijjaa nirodhaa sa.khaaraa nirodho, jaati nirodhaa jaraaā€¦ dukkha-domanassa nirujjhanti, ā€¦ā€

Then with ending of ignorant , the intention (sankhara) ended also .

Thatā€™s not make sense !

But this is what the text says: When Buddha sat under the Bodhi tree soon after enlightenment, he reflected on (the law of) dependent origination in three aspects: ā€œavijjaa-paccayaa sa.nkhaaraaā€¦ā€ (anuloma = forward order);
ā€œavijjaa [yatv eva asesa-viraaga-]-nirodhaa sa.nkhaaraa nirodhoā€¦ā€ (pa.tiloma = reverse order);
"ā€¦" both orders joined together. (See Udaana, Bodhivagga. first three Suttas = Ud I .1-3)

Yes , but the English translation is intention which is not proper one .

Buddha experiences the unconditioned bliss without sorrow, upon entering the supramundane states and the Nirodha state. After he had reached enlightenment he COULD do that at will. But he did not remain in these states all the time during the rest of his life. To spread the Dhamma, Buddha had to function as an ordinary human being. He did not generate new Kamma (sa.nkhaaras), because he had uprooted ignorance, anger, and desire. But he came across unpleasant experiences now and then; however, he was not caught in them.

1 Like

The texts (SN 20.7) define the supramundane (lokuttara) state as sunnata or empty of self (SN 35.85) rather than empty of intention & other mental faculties.

As for ā€˜nirodhaā€™, the texts appear to distinguish ā€˜dukkha nirodhaā€™ (in SN 56.11) from ā€˜nirodha sampattiā€™ (in MN 43 & MN 111).

ā€˜Dukkha nirodhaā€™ appears to be the destruction of craving (SN 56.11; Dhp 154)where as ā€˜nirodha sampattiā€™ appears to be described as the living ending of consciousness, perception, feeling & all mentality. MN 43 compares ā€˜nirodha sampattiā€™ to a corpse; yet with heat & the faculty of life (āyusaį¹…khārā) remaining active.

This would mean liberation is only temporary, which is contrary to the texts, which state:

His release, being founded on truth, does not fluctuateā€¦ MN 140

Sariputtaā€¦ I am now old, aged, burdened with years, advanced in life and come to the last stage: my years have turned eightyā€¦ even if you have to carry me about on a bed, still there will be no change in the lucidity of the Tathagataā€™s wisdom. MN 12

I previously posted my view that a Buddha no longer generates ignorant sankharas but does generate enlightened sankharas, when required. Thus, his liberation would not fluctuate.

Regards :seedling:

The nirodha state I referred to is called sanyaa-vedayita-nirodha.m (cessation of perception experienced?) in the Suttas (See MN 26, Vol. I page 175 in Ee).

Do you mean to invent a new type of Sa.nkhaara?

According to Dhp 277-279 all sa.nkhaara are impermanent (anicca) and suffering (dukkha), but all phenomena (dhammaa) are non-self (an-atta). So there must be some phenomena who are beyond anicca and beyond dukkha, but not beyond anatta. However these phenomena (dhammaa) are NOT sa.nkhaara

Yes. This is called ā€˜nirodha-samāpattiā€™ is short. The same as the ā€™ saƱƱāĀ­veĀ­dayiĀ­taĀ­nirodhaį¹ƒā€™ I posted from MN 43.

From MN 26

Again, by completely surmounting the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception, a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the cessation of perception and feeling. MN 26

From MN 43

Yvāyaį¹ƒ, āvuso, mato kālaį¹…kato tassa kāyasaį¹…khārā niruddhā paį¹­ippassaddhā, vacÄ«saį¹…khārā niruddhā paį¹­ippassaddhā, cittasaį¹…khārā niruddhā paį¹­ippassaddhā, āyu parikkhÄ«į¹‡o, usmā vÅ«pasantā, indriyāni paribhinnāni. Yo cāyaį¹ƒ bhikkhu saƱƱāĀ­veĀ­dayiĀ­taĀ­nirodhaį¹ƒ samāpanno tassapi kāyasaį¹…khārā niruddhā paį¹­ippassaddhā, vacÄ«saį¹…khārā niruddhā paį¹­ippassaddhā, cittasaį¹…khārā niruddhāniruddha paį¹­ippassaddhā, āyu na parikkhÄ«į¹‡o, usmā avÅ«pasantā, indriyāni vippasannāni. Yvāyaį¹ƒ, āvuso, mato kālaį¹…kato, yo cāyaį¹ƒ bhikkhu saƱƱāĀ­veĀ­dayiĀ­taĀ­nirodhaį¹ƒ samāpannoā€”idaį¹ƒ nesaį¹ƒ nānākaraį¹‡anā€ti.

What is the difference, your reverence, between that dead thing, passed away, and that monk who has attained to the stopping of perception and feeling?ā€ ā€œYour reverence, the bodily activities of that dead thing, passed away, have been stopped, have subsided, the vocal activities have been stopped, have subsided, the mental activities have been stopped, have subsided, the vitality is entirely destroyed, the heat allayed, the sense-organs are entirely broken asunder. But that monk who has attained to the stopping of perception and feeling, although his bodily activities have been stopped, have subsided, although his vocal activities have been stopped, have subsided, although his mental activities have been stopped, have subsided, his vitality is not entirely destroyed, his heat is not allayed, his sense-organs are purified. This, your reverence, is the difference between a dead thing, passed away, and that monk who has attained to the stopping of perception and feeling. MN 43

No. I did not invent anything. The fault, error or mistake is, without doubt, a deficiency in learning of your behalf. Therefore, I am not the one to be admonished & not the one to be taught (AN 8.51).

To quote, again, from the verse quoted above from MN 43 about ā€˜vitalityā€™ (ā€˜ayuā€™):

eva nu kho, āvuso, āyusaį¹…khārā, te vedaniyā dhammā udāhu aƱƱe āyusaį¹…khārā aƱƱe vedaniyā dhammāā€ti?

Now, your reverence, are these properties of vitality states that are to be felt, or are the properties of vitality one thing, states that are to be felt another?

Na kho, āvuso, teva āyusaį¹…khārā te vedaniyā dhammā. Te ca hāvuso, āyusaį¹…khārā abhaviį¹ƒsu te vedaniyā dhammā, na yidaį¹ƒ saƱƱāĀ­veĀ­dayiĀ­taĀ­nirodhaį¹ƒ samāpannassa bhikkhuno vuį¹­į¹­hānaį¹ƒ paƱƱāyetha. Yasmā ca kho, āvuso, aƱƱe āyusaį¹…khārā aƱƱe vedaniyā dhammā, tasmātasmā saƱƱāĀ­veĀ­dayiĀ­taĀ­nirodhaį¹ƒ samāpannassa bhikkhuno vuį¹­į¹­hānaį¹ƒ paƱƱāyatÄ«ā€ti.

Your reverence, these properties of vitality are not themselves states to be felt. If, your reverence, these properties of vitality were themselves states to be felt, no emergence could be shown for a monk who had won to the stopping of perception and feeling. But because, your reverence, the properties of vitality are one thing and states to be felt another, therefore the emergence of a monk who has won to the stopping of perception and feeling can be shown.

To quote from the Sutta Central dictionary:

āyusaį¹…khāra
masculine
constituent of life, impetus for life, vital principle (see āyu)

Yes. But this 9th jhana does not appear to be the enlightened state because the enligthened state is mostly described as a state of sense contact, as follows:

Since for you, Bāhiya, in what is seen there will be only what is seen, in what is heard there will be only what is heard, in what is sensed there will be only what is sensed, in what is cognized there will be only what is cognized, therefore, Bāhiya, you will not be with that; and since, Bāhiya, you will not be with that, therefore, Bāhiya, you will not be in that; and since, Bāhiya, you will not be in that, therefore, Bāhiya, you will not be here or hereafter or in between the twoā€”just this is the end of suffering. Ud 1.10

On seeing a form with the eye, he does not lust after it if it is pleasing; he does not dislike it if it is unpleasing. He abides with mindfulness of the body established, with an immeasurable mind, and he understands as it actually is the deliverance of mind and deliverance by wisdom wherein those evil unwholesome states cease without remainder. Having thus abandoned favouring and opposing, whatever feeling he feels, whether pleasant or painful or neither-painful-nor-pleasant, he does not delight in that feeling, welcome it, or remain holding to it. As he does not do so, delight in feelings ceases in him. With the cessation of his delight comes cessation of clinging; with the cessation of clinging, cessation of being; with the cessation of being, cessation of birth; with the cessation of birth, ageing and death, sorrow, lamentation, pain, grief, and despair cease. Such is the cessation of this whole mass of suffering. MN 38

Where as sanyaa-vedayita-nirodha appears to be a state of temporary unconsciousness. Often, many seem to get confused here.

In the passage from MN 26 you quoted, the enlightenment seems to occur after the mind emerges from sanyaa-vedayita-nirodha rather in sanyaa-vedayita-nirodha. The text states:

Puna caparaį¹ƒ, bhikkhave, bhikkhu sabbaso nevaĀ­saƱƱāĀ­nāĀ­saƱĀ­Ć±ÄyataĀ­naį¹ƒ samatikkamma saƱƱāĀ­veĀ­dayiĀ­taĀ­nirodhaį¹ƒ upasampajja viharati, paƱƱāya cassa disvā āsavā parikkhÄ«į¹‡Ä honti.

Again, by completely surmounting the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception, a bhikkhu enters upon and abides in the cessation of perception and feeling. And his taints are destroyed by his seeing with wisdom.

disvā
abs. of passati
having seen; having found; having understood.

Yes. Nibbana is obviously beyond anicca and beyond dukkha but not beyond anatta.

But not sanyaa-vedayita-nirodha, which appears to be a sankhara. Sanyaa-vedayita-nirodha seems to be conditioned, impermanent & unsatisfactory. It obviously seems to not be Nibbana.

Sanyaa-vedayita-nirodha seems to be the 9th jhana up the ladder from the 8th jhana of the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception. Since the base of neither-perception-nor-non-perception taught in MN 26 by Uddaka Rāmaputta was not enlightenment, why would sanyaa-vedayita-nirodha be enlightenment?

Enlightenment is obviously the destruction of the taints. There are three taints, namely, sensuality, becoming & ignorance. Where as sanyaa-vedayita-nirodha only temporarily ends perception, feeling & consciousness.

When my concentrated mind was thus purified, bright, unblemished, rid of imperfection, malleable, wieldy, steady, and attained to imperturbability, I directed it to knowledge of the destruction of the taints. I directly knew as it actually is: ā€˜This is sufferingā€™; I directly knew as it actually is: ā€˜This is the origin of sufferingā€™; I directly knew as it actually is: ā€˜This is the cessation of sufferingā€™; I directly knew as it actually is: ā€˜This is the way leading to the cessation of suffering.ā€™ I directly knew as it actually is: ā€˜These are the taintsā€™; I directly knew as it actually is: ā€˜This is the origin of the taintsā€™; I directly knew as it actually is: ā€˜This is the cessation of the taintsā€™; I directly knew as it actually is: ā€˜This is the way leading to the cessation of the taints. MN 4

There appears to be only one asankhata dhatu (unconditioned thing). This one is called Nibbana.

:seedling:

right , this may be later addition .
According to 7 Bojjhanga , not
including what is above rupa
jhana , ie Arupa jhana etc.

1 Like

Yes. 7 Bojjhanga seems to be a good way to differentiate between the ā€˜vipassanaā€™ of ā€˜enlightenmentā€™ and the ā€˜samathaā€™ of ā€˜sanyaa-vedayita-nirodhaā€™.

I have heard that sanna vedaita nirodha can only be attained by non-returners and arahanths. I thought this meant that the lower 5 fetters being broken, allowed practitioners go higher than the 8th jhana, which meant vipassana indirectly contributed to this, but I may be mistaken. I wonder if anyone knows about it?

with metta