SC classes in text files: other classes

classHTML elementfrequencyMeaning/notesStyle
allowancespan686Indicates places in the Vinaya where the Buddha "allows" something, comparable to a rule.Bold
articlecite60Title of article, usually in a Journal.font-style: normal (Override default italic style for `cite` element)
author latinspan2"author latin" and "book latin" appear to be mistakes, correct to "author", "book".
authorspan62014Indicates proper name of author/editor/translatorUse small-caps, inherit serif or sans serif as per context.
bhikkhunidiv4Indicates a section on nuns found in the monks' Vinaya.Semantic only, no style.
bhikkhunispan2As above.
book latincite2See "author latin"
bookcite12865Title of a book.font-style: italic
bracketp68This is used in en/sn, presumably inherited from a source. It appears to always used with `add` or `pe`, and in fact adds nothing to them semantically. Delete.
brnumspan172Indicates a "break number" (I think!), anyway, some kind of numbering in the text. Appears in two forms: `a class="brnum" id="br92">` and `span class="brnum">(1) /span>`. Change all occurrences to the first kindNo display by default, when TI is activated, show as sans-serif, secondary text color, size = paper-font-body2
bylinespan2This duplicates "scribe", and should be changed to that.
c413em8Gumph in Russian files. Is it a code for KGB infiltration? Who knows! Delete.
centre ct_vimana endingdiv1Change to "endsutta"
chapterp85replace with "subsubdivision"
closea3Weird gumph that is just a malformed "var". Delete not just class, but entire thing.
collectionp363Indicates Pitaka-level text groupingInherit.
colophondiv1Passage added at the end of a text.Use same styles as for "suttainfo"
counterspan202This indicates text in original language that numbers incremental sections. This may be Chinese numerals, Arabic numerals, or Sanskrit text conventions.Smaller font size, secondary text color, sans-serif.
dharanispan19Indicates a span of text marked in the CBETA files as a "dharani", or matra/invocation.Semantic only, no style.
division latinp13Reference data for Chinese texts given in Latin form in supertitle.Inherit.
divisionp58085Division-level of the current text, used in supertitle.Inherit.
dquospan48Delete.
editinginfop34Used in metaarea of Vietnamese texts to indicate information about editing. Normally we don't mark this up, and I think it serves no purpose, so delete.
editor latinspan3This marks the "prepared for SC" span. Change to plain "editor".
editorspan63991Marks the "prepared for SC by" span. The term "editor" is not really ideal for this, but it is the closest TEI equivalent: "the name of an individual, institution or organization, (or of several such) acting as editor, compiler, translator, etc."Inherit.
endp3349The most general of the "end" tags. Prefer more specific tags, use this as fallback. All the "end" tags should be centered, secondary-text-color. I will indicate additional styles in each case.Italic
endbookp107text-transform:uppercase, font-weight:bold, letter-spacing (as per headings)
endchapterp9Replace with "endvagga"
uddana-introp410This is a weird name, in fact it is the announcement of the following uddana. Change name to "uddana-intro"secondary text color, bold
endsectionp4949Italic
endsubsectionp73Italic
endsuttap8947Bold
endvaggap478text-transform:uppercase, letter-spacing (as per headings)
essaycite41Replace this with "article".
evamspan3437Marks opening phrase of suttas.Small-caps, inherit serif or sans as per context.
fakechapterh47Indicates what appears to be erroneous or misplaced titles in Vietnamese texts. Note that there are long-standing structural problems with the Vietnamese texts, and i have not yet found anyone to fix them. So these may contain info relevant for sorting that out. Compare voidchapterSemantic only, no style.
gathablockquote30525VerseCenter aligned on longest line of the set of verses. Use same CSS as old site.
gathaQuotespan226Replace with "speaker"
gnspan264This is a reference metadata for verses, used only in a few files. Can we replace this with a standard verse-number?
hgroup mirrordiv1506Indicates "mirrored" styles in sutta title, used for displaying Latin | Chinese.Style as per old site.
hgroupdiv55198A "div" that contains a set of elements defining the title, etc. of a sutta. The name is inherited from the since-deprecated HTML5 hgroup tag, although the usage is somewhat different. The sutta title is always "h1". "hgroup" usually contains a set of "p" elements above the "h1", i.e. the "supertitle". These are loosely structured; in some cases the class names on the "p" tags indicate the hierarchical level, but not always. Hgroups occasionally include a "subtitle" as well.As per old site.
hiddena1158This defines metadata in Spanish texts that we are not displaying as it mostly duplicates our SC numbers.display:none
hiddenspan663Some extra reference data as to division, etc. in Pali files, preserved in our metaarea, but not displayed.display:none
indentspan630This is a bit of display frivolity that indents every second line of verse. It's not really necessary, so delete.
italicspan10A mistaken inheritance; replace with "i" tags.
jatakadiv5Marks Jataka texts embedded in Vinaya (could be extended to suttas, too.Semantic only, no style.
journalspan64Marks academic journal.No style, semantic only.
juannamespan6Name of a juan (folio) in Chinese texts.No style, semantic only.
juannum latinspan4It's unnecessary to specify Latin, as all juannums are Latin. So change to simple "juannum".
juannumspan64number of a juan in Chinese texts, in Arabic numerals.
kammadiv21The text of a formal act of the SanghaBold
kammaspan403The text of a formal act of the SanghaBold
latinp, hX16Marks latin textā€”usually either Pali or Englishā€”in a Chinese text. These are mostly inserted titles and so on for easy identification of sections.No style.
minorheadp1Delete.
mirror hgroupdiv2888The hgroup in Chinese texts, with mirrored info in Chinese and Pali/Sanskrit/English.As per old site.
mirror-left latinspan10461The Latin half of a mirrored hgroup.As per old site.
mirror-rightspan10460right part of a mirror
mirror-rowp, h11920Mirror row.
msfilebody4Stray tag, delete.
MsoNormalp15Word gumph, delete.
namop178Marks words of homage to the Buddha, sometimes placed at the start of a text.Centered, italic, primary text color.
nipatap44Marks nipata in supertitle for some Sinhalese texts.Inherit.
notespan216"Note" is used in several different ways, with sometimes invalid markup, and often in contravention of SC's basic policy to delete all notes from texts. Hence do the following:
  • In horner/mn: delete
  • In en/vinaya translation: delete. They can be kept as comments in the PO files, however, so up to you whether to simply leave them for now or whatever.
  • In pt/vinaya: These are other malformed in any case. Delete.
  • In si/sutta, "note" is used for alternate titles of Suttas, kept as metadata, but hidden by default. Use a more semantic name for this: "alt-title", and set to "display:none".
openspan1This markup seems garbled, delete the full markup.
p2p13Gumph, delete.
p4p1Gumph, delete.
pagerefsspan10This is some reference info found in Vietnamese texts. Use our normal cross-reference markup instead, or simply "add".
pannasap10Marks pannasa in some supertitlesInherit.
paralleldiv5I'm not sure exactly what the point of these is: they mark some text in the Vinaya that has parallels. Remove FROM POOTLE FILES and add to our normal parallel references.
parallelspan2As above.
peyyaladiv65This marks text in the Vibhanga where the abbreviated sections have been expanded by Anandajoti. Replace with "expanded".
refspan129reference to a text outside the scope of SC, found mainly in the Vinaya. Note that some of these are malformed, eg. Sp.msgstr "3.653.29. I think they're all inside notes, so should be deleted. IN POOTLE FILES
rightviewspan1895A special markup for the kathavatthu, clarifying the voice of the orthodox and the opponent in the debate.secondary text color
RLAPspan7Seems to be just gumph. Delete.
roman-numeralsspan11058Identifies Roman numerals. Don't use underscore for this, use roman-numerals insteadSemantic only, no style.
rule-numberspan1582Identifies rule number in Vinaya texts.secondary text color.
rulediv1Delete this div, and apply the rule to the p instead. IN POOTLE FILES
ruleli23Vinaya rule textBold
rulep246Vinaya rule textBold
rulespan758Vinaya rule textBold
rulestrong600Replace strong with span. IN POOTLE FILES
ruleĀ­numberspan300Same as rule-number, merge these two. CHECK POOTLE FILES
small-capsspan1362text in small caps. Merge with next. Note that some of these are used for acronyms like GRETIL. Instead, these should use HTML "abbr" tag with title attribute spelling out acronym. They need not be styled.Apply small caps, inherit sans or serif as appropriate.
smallcapsspan648
some-dewaa1Appears to be gumph, delete entire tag.
speakerp43Identifies the speaker.Italics
speakerspan1566Identifies the speaker.Italics
squospan27Delete.
subdivisionp13548Identifies subdivision in supertitle.Inherit.
subheadingp1063Subtitle within hgroup, appearing below "h1". These are usually headings given by a translator to describe the text more clearly than the regular title.centered, italic, serif, secondary-text-color, a bit of padding.
subrulespan33Minor or secondary rule mentioned in the discussion of another Vinaya rule.Bold.
subsubdivisionp3922A level of hierarchy in supertitles, in between a subdivision and a vagga, usually corresponding to a pannasa, bhaga, etc.Inherit.
sutta-parallel</div1As with "parallel" above.
suttadiv2Of these 2 instances, pli-tv-bu-vb-pc21 is a parallel and should be in our parallel data; pli-tv-bu-vb-ss6 is a narrative, vaguely sutta-like, but not actually in a sutta. Delete tag.
suttasection59174Identifies a text file (not necessarily a sutta.)
sutta_lldiv42Marks parallels in the Kathavatthu. Add to data and delete tags.
sutta_llspan137Marks parallels in the Kathavatthu. Add to data and delete tags.
t-bylinespan671Notes translator, etc. of Chinese texts. Similar to "scribe".Inherit.
t-counterspan63Counts numbers in Chinese txts.smaller font size, secondary text color, sans-serif.
t-headnamespan240A kind of title class inherited from CBETA. Used in various contexts.Inherit.
t-juannamespan1310Name of juan (folio) in CBETA textsInherit.
t-juannumbera191Reference data for the juan number. We should transform these to the standard a tag style, eg. a class="t-juannumber" id="t-juannumber30"
t-linehead latinspan2This is a mistake, change to plain "t-linehead"
t-notespan1366Text marked as Note in CBETAsecondary-text-color
t-warticle17Appears superfluous, delete class.
text-tabletable6Marks tables in texts.
titlerefsdiv37This is a special tag found only in the Vietnamese texts. it appears to be identical to "subheading", and the markup should be changed to that.
tua3Empty tags, delete.
uddanadiv115Marks text that is an uddana, or summary/list of contents at the end of a vagga or other section. Secondary text color, smaller font size.
uddanap588As above.
uddanaspan6Move uddana class to "p" and delete span.
uddanagathablockquote724Labels verse inside uddana. Unlike normal text verses, these are left-aligned.Inherit.
uddanagathap121Used in Vietnamese texts, where they apply to text in prose. Best to replace this with simple "uddana".
vagga-numberspan44Marks vagga number in Chinese texts, using Chinese numeralssecondary text color.
vaggap6339Marks vagga in supertitles.Inherit.
vagguddanagathablockquote1same as "uddanagatha", but instead of being a list of suttas it's a list of vaggas. Not really necessary, change to plain "uddanagatha".
voidchapterh229Used in Vietnamese texts, indicating heading of an empty section or passage; these appear to be untranslated peyyala series.Semantic only, no style.
wrongviewspan325Opposite of "rightview", see above.
3 Likes

Iā€™ve corrected <span class="mirror=right"> to mirror-right so you can delete that one.

1 Like

Also something to think about: do you want to have these in alphabetical order (as it is now) or grouped like in zz3/zz/test? I also added an example of a Chinese header in there.

I crossed out the ones Iā€™ve deleted or changed to merge with another group above as per your instructions.

I made a small mistake in the file I sent you (forgot to tell python also to use tags with numbers in it). So here are a few more so please merge those in the above:

division: h1 (2)
extra: h1 (2)
extra: h2 (13)
extra: h4 (1)
fakechapter: h4 (7)
juanname: h1 (1)
latin: h2 (2)
latin: h3 (25)
latin: h4 (69)
mirror-row: h1 (4396)
voidchapter: h2 (29)

I suggest changing it to an <a>-tag instead. There are a total of 2364 matches for that. So something like <a class="gn" id="gn12"></a> is a far more widely used use for this class. So I can change the spanā€™s to reference tags with an id. (same as with brnum)

Also note that mirror hgroup = hgroup mirror so can be grouped together.

All the end, endbook, endsection, etc. Should they not also be centered? Currently on the old site they are also grey. (sc-secondary-text-color)

brnum: by changing them to a-tags they become reference numbers i.e. then they fall under paragraphs and no longer in this section.

notes: I have not deleted them from the english Vinaya files because that would have to be done by hand while these files will be deleted completely anyway once the Pootle files are in place. I have only deleted them from the Pootle files and replaced them with regular comments.

Yes, I thought of this also. Iā€™m thinking alphabetical order would be best: simple and clear.

Good.

Will do.

Thatā€™s fine, but do we have a more standard class name? I thought we had ā€œverse-numā€ or something like that. gn is too short and not clear enough.

Okay.

Sorry, I should have been more clear. Yes, all the end-x tags should be centered and secondary text color, with additional styles as specified above.

Okay.

Fine.

:scream: ā€¦ okay, will change it ā€¦ :disappointed:

It used to be ā€œgatha-numberā€ but that was recently changed. We talked about having too long acronyms in the parallels-file so all these were abbreviated.

Oh, okay. Well, thatā€™s a good reason to keep it short, so might as well leave it.

Iā€™ll just leave the things for deletion here. The meaningful items Iā€™ll put in the table; note that in those things, thereā€™s no styling required.

• division: h1 (2)

delete class.

• extra

This seems meaningless, delete class.

• juanname: h1 (1)

delete class.

1 Like

Few more questions:

.author: these will always be serif as per the specs of the meta area.
I have to define this twice in the CSS, once just for the purpose of this test-page and once for use in the meta-area, which seems superfluous. Therefore I only defined it for the meta-area and put ā€œSee Informationā€ instead of the example.

Same with .editor but there the font-style: inherit?

Also .article and .book will only show in the info section.

.counter: ā€œbrnumā€ are now <a>-reference tags and styled in the way of paragraphs. So how should this .counter be styled?

.small-caps Almost all are abbreviations, except in the Italian DN1. Seems a bit superfluous to have this for just one text.
What is these: (what do CE, IBK and SPAW stand for)?
<span class="small-caps">CE</span>
<p>cf. N. <span class="author">Hosoda</span>, <cite class="article">ā€œA Study of the Xylographic Fragments of the Saį¹ƒyuktāgama from Chinese Turkestan, Published by R. Pischelā€</cite>, <span class="small-caps">IBK</span> 37.2 (1989), S. 540ā€“546.</p>
<p>cf. R. <span class="author">Pischel</span>, <cite class="article">ā€œBruchstĆ¼cke des Sanskritkanons der Buddhisten aus IdykutÅ”ari, Chinesisch-Turkestānā€</cite>, <span class="small-caps">SPAW</span> 1904, pp. 807ā€“827.</p>

.subheading
padding??? how much? See for instance English DN10. The old file has small-caps and no padding, only margin.

Found another one we did not deal with so please include in the list:
<i lang="pli" class="name">Malla</i> (f.i. DN24 english)

.textable, yes, it used to be .texttable, but I made a typo in some files I had already uploaded so it was easier to adjust the css accordingly :slight_smile:
(Okay ā€¦ will change it to text-table!!!)

.surplus ā€¦ has fallen out of the table? What happened there?

The metaarea is currently incorrect, as per Next spec:

we should use the sans pretty much everywhere except for the text pages, where we use serif ā€¦ the main use of the serif is to indicate the text, as opposed to the UI, data, etc.

And in more detail from slack:

ā€œUse sans-serif as defaultā€: With the change in font treatment last week, several of the font styles changed to serif. They need to be reverted. As a general rule, all fonts on the site should by default be sans-serif, with serif used in only in selected cases. The main use of serif is in the text files. But in the suttaplex list, use serif font only for the main Sutta title, everywhere else uses sans. Similarly, on the search results page, use sans for everything, except for the search term where it occurs in the main title, this is correct and need not be changed, eg. ā€œ40 results for catā€. For reference, https://next.suttacentral.net is correct.

Thus the metaarea, as almost everywhere else, should be sans. I havenā€™t insisted on changing this everywhere itā€™s wrong, because there are too many places, and other things are more important. But donā€™t take the current site use of serif as correct: mostly it isnā€™t.

In any case, the general rule is that .author should inherit the font-family.

Yes.

Sorry, I missed this earlier, I have put the style in there now.

Indeed, we can just get rid of it.

Common Era. This is standard, no need to supply a title attribute. In fact, no need for the span at all here, they can just be plain text. But I notice one glitch here, the dates all seem to lack a space: 703CE, whereas it should be 703 CE. Use no-break space, or, even better, narrow no-break space " ".

Indogaku Bukkyōgaku Kenkyū

Sitzungsberichte der preuƟischen Akademie der Wissenschaften zu Berlin

In these two cases, just give the full name instead of an abbreviation.

Whatever, just a bit of space, 24px or so should be okay. Looks like the styles for the old version have become corrupted, they were italics, now they inherit the small-caps from the supertitle.

This is inherited from AtI. Itā€™s not a bad idea to identify Pali terms in translations like this. We could use the spans to enable a lookup tool for Pali words in translations. The problem, though, is that as it only applies to a small portion of (deprecated) translations, itā€™s no use as it is. If we wanted to make it useful, weā€™d have to figure out how to do it across the board. Like the main Pali lookup, it would probably be best to do this client side. Anyhow, I kept this markup in there just in case, but on reflection, best to simply get rid of it.

Phew, I will breathe easier.

Itā€™s also in the Textual Information table, so I took it out of here.

1 Like

Sure, but thatā€™s is outside the scope of the classes that we are dealing with above.
But Iā€™m sure Iā€™ll be able to change it. In any case, I removed serif from the --sc-all-small-caps.

Gosh, Prussia still exists!!!

The things that make people paranoid nowadays!

My bad.

Sure, will get on with this and get you a working example of the zz3 test page by the time the devas wake up (unless they find errors in my code again).

1 Like

Sorry, did I miss something here? I cannot see any style added ā€¦

I have to go but most is done in zz3. Have a look once it is merged.

Oops, my double-bad, I did t-counter. Fixed now!

Note that for t-counter I specify sans-serif, even though all our Chinese texts are currently sans-serif. The Noto Serif CJK font exists, and at some point Iā€™d like to introduce it, so it doesnā€™t hurt to make our style sheets ready!

1 Like

Moved to TI section in zz1. Same as suttainfo, which was already there.

All done I guess. I also changed the layout of zz3 a lot because the examples in the table did not always work very well. So please have a look.

1 Like

Pfff ā€¦ found another one: textual-info-paragraph as in <a class="t textual-info-paragraph latin" id="t...."> See for instance http://127.0.0.1/sa1/lzh/Guį¹‡abhadra in next.

? textual-info-paragraph is inserted when ā€œtextual Informationā€ is activated; itā€™s not in the data.

1 Like

:rofl: Guess Iā€™ve been working too hard!

1 Like

All done and added live examples to the Jira ticket. Can that go to testing column or is anything else needed?