Scroll with views open

If I’m on my desktop Windows 10 - Chrome, Firefox. I usually use the scroll-wheel on my mouse for scrolling the window that the cursor is hovering over. But if I have the ‘views’ window open like so:

and I have my mouse cursor in the top part of the window it scrolls the sutta below rather than (my preferred action of horizontally) scrolling the views window.

It works fine for ‘info’ and ‘parallels’, but I guess this is because they scroll vertically.

Many thanks for your consideration

1 Like

I believe I brought that up before. I don’t think Bhante was interested in doing it, although I can’t remember the reason given.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion.

I don’t personally have any major feelings one way or the other on this. Currently we don’t specify any scrolling behavior, or at least not so far as I can see, so what you’re seeing is simply the browser default. Generally speaking, I prefer to leave the browser—or other UA—to do its job, especially when it comes to such fundamental behaviors. Basically, without putting in a bunch of hours, I have no confidence that we wouldn’t create unintended side-effects and just end up making it worse.

I would, however, consider it if someone were to submit a technical proposal, specifying the exact CSS properties needed, and where they need to be applied.

1 Like

Pure css solution here looks wonky as heck. I wouldn’t trust it, although it might be worth a try using Stylus

Agreed. But there are design decisions here which have taken away some of the default browser behaviour. So, if I were to do something like say remove the fixed grid-template-columns from that section and add a height (something like 40vh), then that looks and behaves much more consistently (for me) i.e. just like the other 2/3 options in that toolbar.

Good to know.

Fixed height is hardly non-standard behavior. Without it, getting it to work consistently on mobiles, etc., becomes much harder.

1 Like

I think the non-standard behaviour is that you have to scroll left and right to see things. The only time I see that (at least that sticks in my head) is when a news site has article thumbnail cards that can scroll left right. But having to do that for settings seems very strange now that I think about it.

I realize (boy, do I) how difficult these things are to design. But I’m curious why the settings are not just positioned vertically on the page? That’s the most standard behaviour of all, isn’t it? Not sure why someone would think to scroll right and left.

Obviously it would be a big design change, but if you are concerned with settings fitting on a screen, then why not break them up into two sections with two icons. Call one dictionary or language.

The first four items don’t need to be radio buttons. They could be drop-downs and take up far less space.

Any way, just some thoughts. Thanks for all your hard work.

2 Likes

Yeah. Agreed. I think the current option (vertical scroll without using the mouse wheel) is fine for little screens with touch and no mouse. Running my finger left or right is easy and intuitive. But for desktop it does seem to break my UX if I can’t just click the button and mouse-wheel-scroll to where I want to be. But I guess I can build myself a little browser extension if I’m the only one who thinks it’s worthwhile. I’ve probably got a special use-case as I find myself having to horizontal scroll to the references section often, and that’s a little tedious with the current desktop UI.

So you can change the setting and see the change as it is activated.

Because there is not enough horizontal space on the toolbar.

Appreciate all your concern, but I’ll just leave this for now. I gave a lot of thought to the current design, and as far as I’m concerned it works just fine.

2 Likes

Ah, that makes sense. Except on my laptop, the settings area is so big that I only get a sliver of the screen with the sutta text on it.

Yes, I know that lots of considerations go into the design and I appreciate your care and concern.

One thing that would mitigate the situation for me is if there were shortcut keys to toggle the Pali view. I have looked but I can’t see how I would do that on my own with a script editor. But that’s really a different topic.

Thanks again!

2 Likes

Okay, I’ll see if I can shrink this a little. Everyone’s setup is so different, I have basically tested it so you can operate both the top views and the Pali lookup together, with a sufficient gap between, but obviously that doesn’t work everywhere.

1 Like

And it shouldn’t have to! I would never expect to have both settings and Pali lookup at the same time. That being said, I do find the spacing on the settings panel to be quite generous. Good for on mobile, for sure. A bit unnecessary on desktop.

Yes. This is my problem. the only time I don’t have to scroll right to get to the references section is on full screen on a 4K monitor.

I guess it would be uber-cool to be able to hide the individual setting options so that I only see what I change frequently. For example, for me, on my desktop, Activate Pali lookup is always on and always in English, so I don’t need to see that option from one year to the next. I might think about this and your Pali toggle shortcut keys when I do that little browser extension

I think you could do that in Stylus. They don’t have individual ids, though, so you’d have to do nth child magic. And since they are in the shadow DOM, you would need (I think) a greasmonkey script to give Scribus access to it.

Part of me is afraid to do this because I’m sure in 6 months I would forget I have removed them and will end up posting an error report, “That option has disappeared for me!” :man_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

RIGHT!! I just don’t know how to use a computer. :blush: If I hold the shift key down and scroll my mouse wheel, then it scrolls horizontally and it all works rather neatly.

Sorry!

3 Likes

How wonderful! I just learned something new!! :smiley: Thank you!

1 Like