Search Improvements D&D

It is often and rightly encouraged to use the search function before starting a new topic.

But just for example, when I want to report a typo and am looking for the thread “Please report any errors or typos!” I am typing “typos” in the quick search field, but the topic never appears in the top 5, even though by now it has 200+ replies.

So obviously it is desirable to weigh in the popularity of a thread, by reply and by views, to make the search more functional.

Maybe it’s on your to-do list already, but I just wanted to mention it, or maybe there is a thread about it already that I just couldn’t find :wink:

4 Likes

Search functionality on D&D is governed by the underlying forum software (Discourse).

There is a thread on Discourse Meta you might want to check

In the mean time as a workaround perhaps try more keywords: errors typos search term returns the relevant topic at #2.

3 Likes

May I concur, what Musiko said. :arrow_up:

(Genuine quote from one of the founding engineers of Google: “Search is more dark arts than science”)

2 Likes

I often use Google to find stuff on SuttaCentral and D&D. One way is to add site:suttacentral.net to a query.

Another way is to use a Custom Search Engine (CSE) that automatically adds site:suttacentral.net. That’s what I do. This is the URL of my SC & D&D CSE:

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=013096146419795415386:znjzy4guo-u

3 Likes

What I haven’t figured out is how, if at all, you can specify a subdomain (discourse.suttacentral.net) to be searched (or excluded). Also to narrow it down using “inurl:” “en” for example, or “sujato” as translator.

Oh, and somewhat related to the topic at hand, I find the capturing of “ctrl+f” by discourse kind of annoying. Since I’m usually just wanting to search occurences on the current page only and not across all of discourse; my hacky workaround is just to click into empty space in the bookmarks bar and then ctrl+f.

Just add site:discourse.suttacentral.net to your query to search only on D&D. :grin:

1 Like

Hmm, that works, thanks! I guess what I needed to do in the past was exclude subdomains, which I could never figure out, something like:
query site:suttacentral.net -site:discourse.suttacentral.net

Try site:suttacentral.net -discourse. Optionally you can add -legacy, too.

1 Like

I imagine this would exclude pages that contain “discourse” in the body text as well.

1 Like

No problem! Just use site:suttacentral.net -inurl:discourse -inurl:legacy! :wink:

That way, discourse and legacy are only excluded from the URL.

3 Likes

By the same token, adding inurl:en should help with narrowing down the results to a single language, though again there’s the problem of other possible url strings containing “en” like “tenets” or words in other Roman-scripted languages.

You can add inurl:/en/.

2 Likes