Searching for a sutta about gratitude

Dear forum.

I recall a small sutta, which could be about alms food, where the Buddha says: “to be grateful for the smallest gift”.

Thank you :pray:t2:

2 Likes

Dutiyasiṅgālasutta, SN20.12

6 Likes

Is there a commentarial background story for that sutta? :pray:

Just a short one.

Tatridaṃ jarasiṅgālassa kataññutāya vatthu – satta kira bhātaro khettaṃ kasanti. Tesaṃ sabbakaniṭṭho khettapariyante ṭhatvā gāvo rakkhati. Athekaṃ jarasiṅgālaṃ ajagaro gaṇhi, so taṃ disvā yaṭṭhiyā pothetvā vissajjāpesi. Ajagaro siṅgālaṃ vissajjetvā tameva gaṇhi. Siṅgālo cintesi – ‘‘mayhaṃ iminā jīvitaṃ dinnaṃ, ahampi imassa dassāmī’’ti yāgughaṭassa upari ṭhapitaṃ vāsiṃ mukhena ḍaṃsitvā tassa santikaṃ agamāsi. Itare bhātaro disvā, ‘‘siṅgālo vāsiṃ haratī’’ti anubandhiṃsu. So tehi diṭṭhabhāvaṃ ñatvā vāsiṃ tassa santike chaḍḍetvā palāyi. Itare āgantvā kaniṭṭhaṃ ajagarena gahitaṃ disvā vāsiyā ajagaraṃ chinditvā taṃ gahetvā agamaṃsu. Evaṃ jarasiṅgāle siyā yā kāci kataññutā kataveditā. Sakyaputtiyapaṭiññeti idampi devadattassa ācārameva sandhāya vuttanti.

เล่ากันมาว่า พี่น้อง ๗ คนไถนาอยู่ บรรดาพี่น้องเหล่านั้น น้องชายคนสุดท้องไปเลี้ยงโคที่ปลายนา. ขณะนั้น งูเหลือมรัดสุนัขจิ้งจอกแก่ตัวหนึ่ง. เขาเห็นดังนั้นจึงเอาไม้ตีให้งูปล่อย. งูเหลือมปล่อยสุนัขจิ้งจอกแล้วรัดเขาทันที.

สุนัขจิ้งจอกคิดว่า ผู้นี้ช่วยชีวิตเรา แม้เราก็จักช่วยชีวิตผู้นี้ จึงคาบมีดที่วางอยู่บนหม้อข้าวยาคู ได้ไปหาเขา. พวกพี่ๆ กำลังไถนาอยู่ เห็นเข้าจึงติดตามด้วยคิดว่า สุนัขจิ้งจอกลักมีด.

สุนัขจิ้งจอกรู้ว่า พวกพี่ๆ เหล่านั้นเห็นแล้ว จึงทิ้งมีดไว้ใกล้ๆ น้องคนสุดท้องแล้วหนีไป. พวกพี่ๆ มาเห็นน้องชายถูกงูเหลือมรัดจึงเอามีดฟันงูเหลือมแล้วได้พาน้องชายไป.

ความกตัญญูกตเวทีเป็นบางอย่างพึงมีในสุนัขจิ้งจอกแก่ ด้วยประการฉะนี้.

แม้คำว่า สกฺยปุตฺติยปฏิญฺเญ นี้ ท่านกล่าวหมายเอาความประพฤติของพระเทวทัตเท่านั้นแล.

2 Likes

Aw. That could have been a good jumping off point for quite the yarn! Still, the story of the jackal is nice, even if the “certain person” is predictably Devadatta

And oo! I didn’t realize there was a Thai translation. Where where?? :slight_smile: :pray:

1 Like

It’s the Mahamakut University translation, which has been uploaded to the 84000 org website.

https://84000.org/tipitaka/attha/attha.php?b=16&i=685

2 Likes

Sorry to derail the thread here, but how do you navigate to it? Did you go to the Commentary index and then search for ทุติยสิคาลสูตร? Or is there an easier way to get to the commentary for a specific sutta? :pray:

1 Like

Thank you Venerable. That is the sutta. Could you kindly explain how the translation is derived, particularly “amhesu appakampi” ?

We won’t forget even a small thing done for us.’
na ca no amhesu appakampi kataṁ nassissatī’ti.

2 Likes

Thank you all. Ayya @sabbamitta, I’ve added “done for us” to Voice examples as a singleton example for SN20.12.

1 Like

na - not.
ca - and.
no - we.
amhesu - on our account; for our sake. The word is the locative plural of amha, but when a sentence has to do with gifts, favours, services, etc., very often a locative word will be what grammarians call a catutthyattha-sattamī, meaning a locative form but with a dative meaning. This seems likely to be the case here.
appakaṁ - a small or insignificant thing; a trifle.
api - even.
kataṁ - done.
nassissati - shall be lost/ forgotten; shall come to nothing. Third person singular future of nassati.

Ven. Sujāto’s rendering is a dynamic-equivalent one, as is Bhikkhu Bodhi’s:

“and we will not overlook even the least favour done to us.”

Ven. Nyanaponika’s German rendering is closer to a form-equivalent one:

Auch Geringes, das man uns erwies, soll nicht verloren gehen.

“Even a small thing that has been done for us should not be lost.”

3 Likes

As I know the SN fairly well, it was already in my memory that this sutta was in the Opammasamyutta of the Nidanavagga. And I knew that the Nidanavagga was volume 2 of the Thai SN. So I just went to the site’s main page and then clicked on the SN’s second volume. Then I scrolled down to the Opammasamyutta, located the sutta’s name and clicked on อรรถกถา. Voilà!

If it had been an AN sutta then it would have been a little trickier. I would have first gone to the Legacy Sutta Central site (which I find a lot easier to navigate than the newfangled one) and then searched for the vagga in which the sought-for sutta is found. It’s necessary to know this for many AN suttas have no name and even the ones that do have names will not necessarily be labelled by them at the 84000 site.

With the DN and MN it’s pretty much plain sailing because of the small number of suttas.

4 Likes

Yes!
I wish the legacy site could be updated with the newer translations, it’s so much easier to use!

But much gratitude for all those who have worked on these websites!

1 Like

Thank you Venerable. Most excellent. :pray:t2:

1 Like