Searching Sutta: "If you can't stay in the forest, move to a village monastery"

Again I’m on a sutta hunt - this particular one states (as far as I recall) that bhikkhus should stay in forests or wilderness or away from villages, but if they can’t (danger? discomfort?) that they should move to a village monastery.

Something like that. Does anyone by chance know which one it is? Sorry, I can’t narrow it down, I guess it’s somewhere in SN, AN, or MN.

3 Likes

How about MN 17? Or if you prefer to listen instead of reading.

4 Likes

:laughing:

There’s no way this turtle can match Anagarika’s swift fingers! :turtle:

3 Likes

It’s due to the incredible search features this turtle has implemented in Voice that I manage to find suttas which I would never find before! :turtle: :pig_nose:

5 Likes

Thank you! This might be it. Probably I missed it because I searched for āraññika and the ‘forest’ term here is vanapattha. I somehow had in mind that it was more directly transitioning from forest to village - but maybe it’s just my conclusion I remember. Thanks for helping out with your amazing and much more accurate finding/memory skills!

Btw can you point me to how in this case you searched in order to get to the result?

4 Likes

I used SC-Voice to search. First I tried “wilderness”, but there are just so many suttas…

Then I remembered that according to the circumstances found in a place where one is staying there were different recommendations how to proceed, one of them being to leave without any delay. And I tried “leave that very day”. This brought 16 results, many of them were DN suttas, and I was pretty sure it’s not in the DN. Scanning the titles, I saw “Jungle thickets” and decided that might be it—and when having a look I found that at least it’s the one I had in mind… and obviously that’s what you had in mind too.

6 Likes