Setting language and finding texts

I have great difficulty using the site. I tried browsing the texts but couldn’t open any; I just got descriptions of the content of the various parts of the library, not access to the texts themselves. I also changed the language to Chinese and now I can’t change it back: clicking on the Languages tab in the menu just opens up a website with all the languages listed but doesn’t allow you to change the language of the site. I hope somebody can help me with this.

7 Likes

Greetings Friend, and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

I presume you are talking about the suttacentral.net site and access to the texts.

As it happens we have just been discussing this subject and how to provide online help.

I’m going to tag a few people into this message and link it to the other conversation.

You should get some specific help within several hours :pray: :slightly_smiling_face:

Don’t give up on us - we’ll do our best to make sure you can get good access to the words of the Buddha

@Snowbird @karl_lew @Gillian @sujato

support for SC

3 Likes

So sorry you are having trouble. Welcome to the forum.

First, lets fix the language issue.

On SuttaCentral.net, in the top right hand menu there are two items related to language. The first sets the language for the site and highlights the translations we have in that language (although everything on the site is available to you no matter what language you have chosen.)

The second language item in the menu will just give you an overview of the completeness of each language on the site. As you saw, it doesn’t really get you to the translations.

So we need to change you back to English as your preferred language on the site.

Click on the very top item. It’s a language drop down. Choose “English” and the whole site should be back to English.

Please let us know if that fixed the language problem.

Assuming the language is now back to English…

I’m not 100% sure where you were on the site when you saw this. Were you at a screen that looked like this?

If you were, then to get to the actual translation, you need to click on the name of the translator. That can be a little confusing because you might be expecting to click on the name of the text to view it. However because there are often multiple translations of the same text into one language, you click on the name of the translator.

In this example, once you click on “Bhikkhu Sujato” you should see the translation:

Could you let us know if that helped?

Welcome to SuttaCentral and welcome to the discussion forum!

8 Likes

Thank you, the language problem is solved.

As for the other problem, here is what I see:

I don’t see the names of the translators, just a description of the contents of the folder.

4 Likes

Great news.

So something is very wrong here. It’s actually showing the headings of the previous book, the Digha Nikaya. I’m afraid this may need to be elevated to the developers.

[Bhante @sujato or @blake, would it be possible to have someone look into this?]

While we are waiting to hear from them, could you try some things and report back?

• Press control shift R to refresh the page and clear the cache
  • Try in another browser. It looks like you are using Edge. I know that suttacentral.net uses some newer technology. Edge is a little behind. Could you try on chrome?
  • Could you try and go to this page: https://suttacentral.net/mn1/en/sujato. That is the direct link to Bhante Sujato’s English translation of the first sutta in the Majjhima Nikaya.
  • If you have another device like a smartphone, you could try that as well.

Let us know if any of those worked.

Also, are you using the site directly, or have you activated the off line viewing? If you don’t know the answer, you’re probably just using it directly from the web.

If you need to see a translation urgently, the old site is still available on line at https://legacy.suttacentral.net/ but at this point it is quite inferior to the current site.

So sorry you are having problems. Hopefully we will get it figured out soon.

8 Likes

I tried it on Firefox, and it worked. The titles don’t match because it queued the other texts I opened. Thank you for your help.

4 Likes

Many thanks to @Snowbird for sharing his ‘how to’ knowledge. We are so fortunate to have such generous community members. There are others too, and we thank you all.

4 Likes

So glad you got it working. Just as an FYI, It sounds like there is a major update coming to Edge in a couple of days that might make it able to display the site. But Firefox should always work fine.

Happy sutta reading!

4 Likes