Sisters don’t fight

In MN 13, the Buddha lays out the drawbacks of sensual pleasures. One of their great problems, still so tragic today, is that they cause those who should love each other to fight.

Furthermore, for the sake of sensual pleasures kings fight with kings, aristocrats fight with aristocrats, brahmins fight with brahmins, and householders fight with householders. A mother fights with her child, child with mother, father with child, and child with father. Brother fights with brother, brother with sister, sister with brother, and friend fights with friend.

Once they’ve started quarreling, arguing, and fighting, they attack each other with fists, stones, clubs, and swords, resulting in death and deadly pain.

Note that sister does not fight with sister. They are much too sensible for that.

11 Likes

Haha, interesting! Growing up in a family of three girls I have to confess that we are not so impervious to the powers of sensual pleasures, particularly when it comes to makeup, clothing, shoes, and who drank my iced coffee?!?!?!

But at the end of the day, these squabbles actually weren’t serious at all, at least not to that point. I know just one perspective doesn’t really count, but they are my best friends and after all, there’s only love.

11 Likes

Though I doubt it, maybe as a general stereotype that’s true. But there are always exceptions to stereotypes. My mother and her youngest sister fought with the middle sister quite viciously at times. She was once stabbed by the middle sister with a sharp pencil—she still has graphite embedded in her skin. Fortunately, they all grew up and get along great.

1 Like