SN 22.81 and the distinctly buddhist teachings found in it

But contextually ”They” in this sutta still adhere to the strictly buddhist teaching of not regarding form or feeling or perception or choices or consciousness as self.

That is why I asked in my first post in this thread if there was any other contemporary sect during the Buddha’s time that also teaches, just like the Buddha, to not regard form or feeling or perception or choices or consciousness as self?

And which outsider sect adheres to this teaching on the aggregates as not-self but also at the same time embraces eternalism?

And which outsider sect adheres to the aggregates as not-self and dismiss eternalism but instead embraces annihilationism?

And which sect…? You get the point. :wink:

Here in AN 10.29 the Buddha praises outsiders using exactly the same phrase and formula as in SN 22.81:

”This is the best of the convictions of outsiders, that is: ‘I might not be, and it might not be mine. I will not be, and it will not be mine.’ When someone has such a view, you can expect that they will be repulsed by continued existence, and they will not be repulsed by the cessation of continued existence. Some sentient beings have such a view. But even the sentient beings who have views like this decay and perish.”

Like I wrote in the other thread:

Yet in SN 22.81 everyone is encouraged to completely give up every notion of ‘I might not be, and it might not be mine. I will not be, and it will not be mine.’

In AN 10.29 the reason for the Buddha’s praise is:

When someone has such a view, you can expect that they will be repulsed by continued existence, and they will not be repulsed by the cessation of continued existence.

But this reason for praise seems not to be applicable anymore in SN 22.81 and is instead considered a wrong view that has to be given up in the pursuit of ending the defilements in this present life.

Any clue as to why?

So this not-real ”I” or self can’t even cease by attaning Nibbāna? :wink:

In the sutta in question they already do not regard the five aggregates as self and see the already non-existent “I” or self finally coming to a permanent end in something else than the five aggregates - Nibbāna.

What is the difference?

Well to some degree they are on the buddhist path because they both DO have the view that the 5 aggregates are not-self, even according to the Buddha himself in the sutta. Their assumptions are more about what Nibbāna (ending the defilements in this present life) will result in. One group believe it will result in eternalism, the other in annihilation.

Well their wrong views are only the result of not regarding form or feeling or perception or choices or consciousness as self. This view is not wrong in itself but it can still lead to other wrong views, namely regarding Nibbāna.

That is my whole point.

How, from where and why did Yamaka get his wrong views?

Due to anything specifically in the Buddha’s teaching or was it maybe due to something taught by outsiders in their dhamma?

Is there is any other teaching out there also saying that form or feeling or perception or choices or consciousness is not-self? I’d love to study it.

But it has to be a teaching prior to or contemporary to the Buddha, I wouldn’t want to waste my time on the copycats who showed up later on, AFTER the Buddha… :wink: