Snp1.8 Metta: Chanting by the Santi Forest Sangha

3 Likes

in my opinion chanting must be conducted in the language of the land

otherwise it’s no different from Catholic service in Latin, which almost nobody understands

if chanting in Pali is done for meditative effect, i believe English text can also be as effectively organized rhythmically and chanted

I see your point but I don’t think that chanting in Pali limits the accessibility of the chants. Provided there are good translations (such as what Sutta Central offers) chanting in the original language is, at least for me, a humbling reminder of the ancient origins of the texts themselves.

Sure, but Pali sounds cool!

2 Likes

Dear Brenna,

Wow! Thank you very much! Bhikkhunis chanting! How awesome! :heart_eyes: :kissing_heart: :kissing_closed_eyes:
I like the Palī version anytime. I am not feeling well today but thanks for making my day!

with añjali and mettā,
russ

1 Like

I know, right!

Ayya Patacara’s Paritta chanting is also a thing of beauty (and profound awesomeness):

4 Likes

Dear Brenna,

Awesomeness! The beauty I find in this is the feeling she puts into chanting with devotion :pray:

with añjali and mettā,
russ

2 Likes

I’ve always found it interesting that when I was a child, my mother, a Catholic who always went to Mass on Sundays, stopped going completely when the Mass was changed from Latin to English (I think sometime after Vatican II)! And she did NOT understand Latin, and was english-speaking.

When I asked her why she just said it lost “the feeling and meaning” for her. Very interesting, the ‘powers that were’ changed it to English so people who didn’t know Latin could understand what was being said and therefore, presumably it would be more meaningful. But it had the oposite effect on my mother.

I think this says something about the power of devotion and the heart opening effect something like this can have to someone inclined in this way. When the Mass was in Latin, somehow my mother was more able to tap into the spirit and ‘heart’ of the service, and it was personally very meaningful for her, unlike when it was in English. So clearly this did not have anythign to do with knowing the language.

For myself, I don’t tend to be a very devotional type in the traditional way (and never had the feelign my mother had about the Catholic Mass, whether in Latin or English), but I must say that I listen to chanting in Pali. I love it. Granted, I’m studying Pali (so it’s also a great way to learn) but even before that, I prefered it to the English chanting that many of the Western monastics also do. In fact, I’ve never really cared to listen to the English renditions at all (and only do now if I want to hear a rough translation of something).

So maybe it’s different for each person. I think it’s great that there are so many english versions of the Pali chants for those who prefer it. And I hope that is, or will be the case for other languages, so everyone who likes to listen to the chants, can do so in either Pali or their native language.

3 Likes

Thanks for posting these chants, Brenna. My other comment was a reply to @LXNDR, but somehow I posted it further down.