Spoiler markup now available on the forum

I recently noticed that the forum now allows you to mark text as “spoilers”, e.g.

Luke and Leia are siblings

Just click on it and the hidden text appears. Not sure exactly how it will be useful here but it’s a neat feature to have when you need it.

You can either manually wrap your text in [spoiler][\spoiler] tags, or select them from the gear icon dropdown in the editor.

6 Likes

What?! Are they?! Nooooooooooo!

this is going to be such fun.

6 Likes

You can use it with images too.

6 Likes

Yep, looks like you can put anything inside a spoiler. And even nest them.

Summary
People Place thing
Luke Tatooine landspeeder

2024-04-13T18:30:00Z

%%{init: {"flowchart": {"htmlLabels": false}} }%%
flowchart LR
    markdown["`This **is** _Markdown_`"]
    newLines["`Line1
    Line 2
    Line 3`"]
    markdown --> newLines

5 Likes

Thank you, Ven. Snowbird, for bringing this to our attention :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

This is precisely the feature I need for John’s pāli class where I share a homework-related translation in the thread before we’ve had the relevant class. That way I’m not giving away the answer, as they say. Delighted!

:pray:t2:

5 Likes

Cool!

How many Buddhists does it take to change a light bulb?

Four –
One to change it;
One to not-change it;
One to both change- and not-change it;
One to neither change- nor not-change it.

4 Likes

Oh, neat! Maybe you could mention it in class to let everyone know how it works. You can accomplish a similar thing with the Hide Details markup:

[details="Summary"]
This text will be hidden
[/details]

The big difference I see is that with spoilers you can do them inline like this. And that spoilers take up the same amount of space in a message whether they are hidden or not.

Also, you can type your text first and then select it and choose Blur Spoilers from the gear icon menu.

3 Likes

Ven. Snowbird, it was very intuitive…now I don’t feel so bad about sharing translations ahead of time.

:blush: :pray:t3:

The version I heard was 101. One to put in the work and 100 to talk about it. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

When would this placeholder thing be useful?

Many people have died of =Disease=: =Disease= is a terrible affliction.

(Can I use the =Disease= placeholder outside the wrap??)

Oh, that’s different from even the one I heard. None. Change comes from within.

I’m not sure. I think it is mostly used for topic templates. I don’t see a good general use on the Discourse forum

4 Likes

How many Nagarjunas does it take to change a lightbulb?

Since there is no Nagarjuna and no lightbulb, how can there be any change?

4 Likes

Pretty cool.

No-self or not-self?

Sorry, you still don’t have a self.

3 Likes