Sri Lanka Proposed Tripitaka Conservation Bill

This question from earlier in the discussion refers to developments in the fertilizer situation.

I’ve restored your post, and edited it with a link to the query that you were answering. Please remember to do similar yourself next time; it helps everyone. :wink:

@paul1 Perhaps the fertilizer stuff could be discussed in a new thread. It really doesn’t have anything to do with the main thing we are discussing in this thread, ie the policies around Dhamma and the Sangha.

1 Like

That’s incorrect, Sri Lanka is heading to a dictatorial situation and understanding the motivation for the Tripitaka bill is benefited by examining allied issues which have the same origin, ie not from a government but from the views of a single person.

That’s terrifying, this “monk” is a criminal who has been peddling hate for years. He should be disowned by the Sangha in Sri Lanka, not appointed to lead a committee on law reform.

5 Likes

I always thought being arrested, charged and convicted would lead to automatic disrobing?

Then there is the whole issue of leading judicial reform commitees…:scream:

1 Like

Yes, you’d think.

Years ago I discussed this monk with a monk who knew him personally. He is just what he appears to be.

I mean, that is dubious for a monk at the best of times.

1 Like

I believe the Vinaya only allows for Parajikas and voluntary disrobals, no?

For example: If the Thai military government throws me in prison for being a loudmouth democrat with insufficient respect for their Glorious King and forces me to “disrobe,” I believe the Vinaya counts that as just some people stealing some cloth, right?

But that said, inciting hatred and violence and looting certainly breaks the spirit (and perhaps even the letter) of the Parajikas against stealing and instructing others to kill, so…

Somehow, conservative governments never seem to have a problem with monks “getting political” when their politics align with theirs. :thinking: Very interesting… Wonder why that is… :thinking:

2 Likes

As I mentioned in this thread:

2 Likes

Thank you @Snowbird for clarifying why disrobing might not be an option.

But Vinaya rules aside, as a minority, these “monks” were the subject of much fear and dread. It might seem an odd statement to those not on the receiving end of their actions or among kind and compassionate monastics like those here , but it was a very real experience for many. This was all I saw of Buddhism at that time. :pleading_face:

These individuals seem untouchable and beyond the law. Any politician can latch onto them to promote hate but can’t be held accountable :exploding_head:. I know it’s not black and white situation( historical reasons etc) but still it is very difficult for me to comprehend in 2021 why it’s never truly addressed….

Re judicial panel

Possibly cheaper than hiring a law expert Bhante :shushing_face: ( I don’t mean to make a joke, but trying to bring some levity to a very ominous situation )

2 Likes

Could you explain this? The only listed criminal offense described so far is contempt of court, so I think more context would be very helpful in understanding.

I didn’t mean this monk per se, rather the role of the Buddhist clergy in nationalistic politics in Sri Lanka in general.

2 Likes

For those unfamiliar, here’s an academic article from 2013(!) introducing the BBS and the “nationalistic politics in Sri Lanka in general” —

http://www.jocbs.org/index.php/jocbs/article/download/45/73

1 Like