Stillness Flowing - new biography of Ajahn Chah

Stillness Flowing - new biography of Ajahn Chah

Stillness Flowing, the new English biography about the life and teachings of Luang Por Chah, authored by Ajahn Jayasaro, is now available to the public.

Click on the following links to download the PDF, ePUB and Mobi versions of the book to your E-book reader, phone, tablet or computer.

PDF

Source: http://www.abhayagiri.org/news/240-stillness-flowing-now-available

:anjal:

28 Likes

Wow, that’s amazing. He started writing that when I was at Nanachat, in about 1995. So good to see it finished.

8 Likes

Taigu Ryokan

To My Teacher

An old grave hidden away at the foot of a deserted hill,
Overrun with rank weeds growing unchecked year after year;
There is no one left to tend the tomb,
And only an occasional woodcutter passes by.
Once I was his pupil, a youth with shaggy hair,
Learning deeply from him by the Narrow River.
One morning I set off on my solitary journey
And the years passed between us in silence.
Now I have returned to find him at rest here;
How can I honor his departed spirit?
I pour a dipper of pure water over his tombstone
And offer a silent prayer.
The sun suddenly disappears behind the hill
And I’m enveloped by the roar of the wind in the pines.
I try to pull myself away but cannot;
A flood of tears soaks my sleeves.

_/_ :yellow_heart::green_heart::blue_heart:

3 Likes

Yes,

Amazing!

For those in the States, Abhayagiri has copies available as of yesterday. Locals are requested to pick up copies in person due to the books size (massive!).

2 Likes

They have plenty of copies up at Wat Buddha Dhamma in Sydney

1 Like

I’m am very devout with Ajahn Brahm’s method of “relaxing to the max” and “making peace, being kind, being gentle” but every time I read of these Forest Ajahns (I’m only on the third chapter of Stillness Flowing) I read about fighting sleep, fighting hunger, fighting sickness, etc. All about cultivating Endurance. From this approach I find dispassion, and I want to run off to the woods and endure until I’m fully enlightened. These methods seem contradictory to me and I don’t mean to create separation, I just have two forces of dhamma pulling me this way and that. Do we need different approaches at different times of our practice, or is there actually one that will keep us balanced the whole way? Thanks for some support :slight_smile:

4 Likes

this doubt about contradictions and different methods of practice, has everything to do with the title of the Biography of Ajanh Chah. "Stillness Flowing"

Ajanh Brahm is a disciple of Ajanh Chah so the method must be the same or similar. but as Ajanh Brahm has a more Western audience or people from the city then I think that’s why it’s a different method or a different approach. but the Dhamma is the same.

I also really like “The Basic Method of Meditation by Ajahn Brahm”

4 Likes

thx, I really enjoy “the basic method of meditation”. I believe this is to be used on the cushion to develop some stability. after the stability, we naturally equip ourselves with knowledge of unsatisfactoriness, impermanence, and nonself through life situations such as renouncing, enduring, and patience.

1 Like

I was going to make a new thread, but saw this one…

Anyway, has anyone received this book? I did, and was wondering if the material under the book flap was made that way to resemble a monk’s robe, or if it is the material from a monk’s robe.

Really great book so far, Ajahn Chah is an inspiration.

1 Like

I’m about 400 pages in-- already a favorite. I didn’t think of that about the color of the book being that of a robe but I am sure you are right. Seems like something Ajahn Jayasaro would pay attention to!

2 Likes

It is a book that’s hard to put down.

I’m on page 80, and agree: it’s definitely a favorite. “In the Cremation Forest” was great, really inspiring. I’ll probably return to that story and reference it quite a bit.

I didn’t think of that about the color of the book being that of a robe but I am sure you are right.

Yeah, I don’t know, I’ve never saw a robe aside from in books or the web. Not that it’s really important, but I’d like to know, out of curiosity.

1 Like

I also found the difference between Aj Chah and Aj Brahm’s approach quite interesting. For instance, I remember Aj Brahm encouraging people to sleep in on a retreat I went on, vs Aj Chah doing all night sits and speaking after midnight only for the monastics to wake up again at 3am. I much prefer Aj Brahm’s approach atm, no force or control, being kind to yourself etc. etc. which is a nice antidote to Western society at present. I would think Aj Chah’s rather austere disciplinary style would be more suited to a monastic context which has the appropriate support structures in place? Anyway it makes for a very interesting read re: different ways of approaching life for different contexts and different stages of development.

2 Likes

I noticed this too. I’m about halfway through the book, and the description of Ajahn Chah’s meditation technique is markedly different than what is described in “Mindfulness, Bliss and Beyond”. To give you an idea, Ajahn Chah seems to have taught students to disregard nimittas entirely.

4 Likes

I just finished reading the book. Really worthwhile to read! So many things to be inspired by, and try to integrate into our own practice.

I wonder what were Ajahn Chah’s favorite suttas? Anyone know? Towards the end of the book in his final illness stage, it mentioned monks would chant his favorite suttas for him sometimes.

6 Likes

Wonderful and inspiring read. Highly recommended!

4 Likes

Non of the links, PDF ePub or mobi, worked for me.
Does someone have current links they can share please?

2 Likes
PDF

https://www.jayasaro.panyaprateep.org/files/books/2018/000065/Stillness%20Flowing.pdf

First result for googling ‘stillness flowing filetype:pdf’

Thanks heaps @Robbie. It worked :smile: . (And showed me my laziness :frowning:.)

1 Like

It’s quite alright, Gillian. You’re doing a lot for this forum by being a moderator. I’m happy to give something back, even if it’s something small. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes