Sujato/John Kelly Pali Courses: Resources

I had never thought about the verb jhāyati deriving from the root hā. (If I understand the image you posted correctly. )
I had thought it was from dhī.
Are you sure this is correct?

1 Like

Well, it says √jhā not √hā. Perhaps he (conjugated? strengthened?) the “real” root (*dhī) to show more clearly the parts of the final word? Not sure…

I’m not sure what that means, someone more knowledgeable in Sanskrit will have to chime in.

For now I’m sticking with PED…

1 Like

Dear BethL–If you can please share some instruction on how to install the digital dictionary (Golden Dict) it will be so helpful. Earlier I downloaded but deleted the file as I could not figure out how to proceed.
Metta
Indira

1 Like

Hi Indira, I’m happy to help! Unless you are pretty familiar with downloading bunches of files and following a bunch of steps on your computer, a zoom is a better use of my time. Otherwise, you need to download everything for your particular computer operating system from the github page that Bhante listed in the resources thread. Then you need to follow additional directions on a linking github page to install it correctly.

Please respond via the email feature if at all possible.

I am on New York time, so I am 12 hours behind AEST (Bhante’s time). I could make myself available at 9:00 pm AEST or, for example, 6:00 am AEST.

Before we meet, could you let me know (1) whether you use a Personal Computer or a Mac and (2) about how old your computer is.

Please respond via the email feature if at all possible.

Beth

2 Likes

Perhaps it’s a checkmark and just offering a breakdown of the syllables?
It doesn’t seem to offer a root, I don’t know what the check marks mean.

Word Data’s Degree of Completion

As DPD is a work in progress, it is useful to know how complete a word’s data is. This is indicated by a gray icon (✓~✗) after the entry.

1 Like

Thanks. I think I confused a check mark witt a radical sign, which often indicates a root.

Maybe if things were spaced out a bit more it would be clearer. There seem to be two styles of checkmarks.

Yeah, he experimented with other symbols and honestly the check mark was the best. Once you start using the dictionary I think it becomes obvious what is happening:

That completeness check never appears before a syllable as the radical sign does. And how much the radical sign looks like a check mark kind of depends on your device and the ui font.

Are you saying the checkmark before the ‘har’ is in fact a radical sign?

Sorry I’m so confused by this.

Also, where is the dictionary page where I can type in my entry?

(One can see that in the PED entry for jhāyati the root is dhī. )

Like this?

Yes, isn’t that the standard way to indicate that a syllable is a root?

So, that is a website. The Digital Pali Dictionary is only available by using the GoldenDict app to “browse” the dictionary. Similar to how Chrome is used to browse websites.

Do you have GoldenDict installed on your device and the DPD, PED, etc. installed?

I totally get that it’s a hassle to set up. I’m quite computer literate and I still put it off way too long. It’s really worth the few minutes it takes to set up. @BethL has made a kind offer to help people get it setup.

This is a shot of the whole app once everything is setup:

You type in your word (or copy paste, or use the shortcut keys) into the input field on the top. You can see on the right side there are labels indicating DPD and Combined Pali - English Dictionary. The “combined” one includes the PED.

[BTW, if you are having trouble accessing this forum on your laptop, you might want to check to see if you are using the most up to date version of your browser. Also, be sure to be using Chrome or FireFox. I don’t think IE works anymore.]

3 Likes

Kind Beth,

you could do one Zoom for both Indira and me. We’re dhamma friends, having worked on a few dhamma book projects together. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for your help and patience.

I’m afraid this is way beyond me.
Maybe one day it will be easier.

I’ll have to stick to good old PED.

(Yes, my laptop is old can’t really be updated. )

1 Like

That’s a shame.
One of the features of the DPD is that anyone can query/correct/add, and your inputs would be very useful, I am sure.

I like to use it in conjunction with the Digital Pali Reader. It’s available in a browser.

1 Like

Really, I’m very happy with PED and DOP, and as I tried to point out there seem to be some errors.

I’m just a musician, not a computer programmer, so I don’t think I could help improve it.

Hopefully one day it will be available as a web page.

1 Like

The Tipitaka Pali Reader comes integrated with the Digital Pali Dictionary, so it is a one-click installation from the Windows Store (for Windows users).

I’m helping Ven. Bodhirasa to update the Sanskrit cognates for the Pali words in the DPD, but I’ve just started the work so my inputs won’t show up before the end of the year.

I endorse the idea that the old PTS dictionary is good for beginners, but the new PTS DOP is light-years ahead of its predecessor (and is very useful for advanced readers of Pali).

4 Likes

I think he’s also bringing in the entries from the extremely expansive Burmese Pali dictionary.

Good idea!

It wouldn’t be impossible, but it’s tightly coupled to the GoldenDict platform, and once you get used to it having a super-fast lookup locally is hard to beat …

Oh excellent, I’m happy to hear that.

2 Likes

I wasn’t clear.
I didn’t suspect you of having programming skills, but I do know that you have a very precise knowledge of Pali. The developer has invited the community of users to give feedback. There are simple clicks to make to report detected possible errors and to suggest things like extra examples.

That would be great!

1 Like

Thank you so much BethL… feeling grateful. I am in Sri Lanka and New York is 9 1/2 hours behind. Dheerayupa is in Melbourne and that is 4 1/2 hours ahead of Sri Lanka…

1 Like